- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Guidance Law for Agile Turn of Air-to-Air Missile During Boost Phase
- Han, Seungyeop (Department of Aerospace Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Bai, Ji Hoon (Department of Aerospace Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Hong, Seong-Min (Department of Aerospace Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Roh, Heekun (Department of Aerospace Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Tahk, Min-Jea (Department of Aerospace Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Yun, Joongsup (PGM R&D Laboratory, LIG Nex1) ;
- Park, Sanghyuk (PGM R&D Laboratory, LIG Nex1)
- Received : 2017.02.07
- Accepted : 2017.09.25
- Published : 2017.12.30
This paper proposes the guidance laws for an agile turn of air-to-air missiles during the initial boost phase. Optimal solution for the agile turn is obtained based on the optimal control theory with a simplified missile dynamic model. Angle-of-attack command generating methods for completion of agile turn are then proposed from the optimal solution. Collision triangle condition for non-maneuvering target is reviewed and implemented for update of terminal condition for the agile turn. The performance of the proposed method is compared with an existing homing guidance law and the minimum-time optimal solution through simulations under various initial engagement scenarios. Simulation results verify that transition to homing phase after boost phase with the proposed method is more effective than direct usage of the homing guidance law.
Supported by : LIG Nex1
- Wise, K. A. and Broy, D. J., "Agile Missile Dynamics and Control", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 21, No. 3, 1998, pp. 441-449. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.4256
- McFarland, M. B. and Calise, A. J., "Neural Networks and Adaptive Nonlinear Control of Agile Antlair Missiles", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 23, No. 3, 2000, pp. 547-553. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.4563
- Choi, Y. S., Lee, H. O. and Choi, J. W., "Autopilot Design for Agile Missile with Aerodynamic Fin and Side Thruster", Proceeding of the SICE Annual Conference, Fukui, Japan, 2003.
- Zhong, L., Liang, X. G., Cao, B. G. and Cao, J. Y., "An Optimal Backstepping Design for Blended Aero and Reaction-Jet Missile Autopilot", Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 6, No. 12, 2006, pp. 2623-2628. https://doi.org/10.3923/jas.2006.2623.2628
- Kim, K. U., Kang, S., Kim, H. J., Lee, C. H. and Tahk, M. J., "Realtime Agile-Turn Guidance and Control for an Airto-Air Missile", Proceeding of the AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Toronto, Canada. 2010.
- Ryu, S. M., Won, D. Y., Lee, C. H. and Tahk, M. J., "Missile Autopilot Design for Agile Turn Control During Boost-Phase", International Journal of Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 12, No. 4, 2011, pp. 365-370. https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2011.12.4.365
- Lee, C. H., Kim, T. H. and Tahk, M. J., "Missile Autopilot Design for Agile Turn Using Time Delay Control with Nonlinear Observer", International Journal of Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 12, No. 3, 2011, pp. 266-273. https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2011.12.3.266
- Baba, Y., Yamaguchi, M. and Howe, R. M., "Generalized Guidance Law for Collision Courses", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 16, No. 3, 1993.
- Dohi, N., Baba, Y. and Takano, H., "Modified Proportional Navigation for a Missile with Varying Velocity - Comparison with the Optimal Guidance", Proceeding of the ICAS 2004 24th International Congress of the Aeronautical Sciences, Yokohama, Japan, 2006.
- Shima, T. and Golan, O. M., "Exo-Atmospheric Guidance of an Accelerating Interceptor Missile", Journal of the Franklin Institute, Vol. 349, Issue 2, 2012, pp. 622-637. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfranklin.2011.06.024
- Bryson, A. E. and Ho, Y. C., Applied Optimal Control, Taylor & Francis, New York, 2004.
- Vinh, N. X., "General Theory of Optimal Trajectory for Rocket Flight in a Resisting Medium", Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 11, Issue 2, 1973, pp. 189-202. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00935883
- Lu, P., Sun, H. and Tsai, B., "Closed-Loop Endoatmospheric Ascent Guidance", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 26, No. 2, 2003, pp. 283-294. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.5045
- Han, S. Y., Kim, M. K., Tahk, M. J. and Kim, Y. Y., "Velocity Maximizing Suboptimal Control Law for Agile Turn of Air-to-Air Missile", Proceeding of the 16th International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems, Gyeongju, Korea, 2016.
- Jorgensen, L. H., "A Method for Estimating Static Aerodynamic Characteristics for Slender Bodies of Circular and Noncircular Cross Section Alone and with Lifting Surfaces at Angles of Attack from 0 deg to 90 deg", NASA Technical Note, NASA TN D-7228, 1973.
- Thukral, A. and Innocenti, M., "A Sliding Mode Missile Pitch Autopilot Synthesis for High Angle of Attack Maneuvering", IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 6, No. 3, MAY 1998, pp. 359-371. https://doi.org/10.1109/87.668037
- White, B. A., Zbikowski, R. and Tsourdos, A., "Direct Intercept Guidance Using Differential Geometry Concepts", IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 43, Issue. 3, 2007.
- Zipfel, P. H., Modeling and Simulation of Aerospace Vehicle Dynamics 2nd Edition, AIAA, 2010.
- Rao, A. V., Benson, D. A., Darby, C., Patterson, M. A., Francolin, C., Sanders, I. and Huntington, G. T., "Algorithm 902: Gpops, a Matlab Software for Solving Multiple-Phase Optimal Control Problems Using the Gauss Pseudospectral Method", ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software, Vol. 37, No. 2, Article 22, 2010.