- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Minimum-Energy Spacecraft Intercept on Non-coplanar Elliptical Orbits Using Genetic Algorithms
- Oghim, Snyoll (Chosun University) ;
- Lee, Chang-Yull (Chosun University) ;
- Leeghim, Henzeh (Chosun University)
- Received : 2017.06.13
- Accepted : 2017.11.06
- Published : 2017.12.30
The objective of this study was to optimize minimum-energy impulsive spacecraft intercept using genetic algorithms. A mathematical model was established on two-body system based on f and g solution and universal variable to address spacecraft intercept problem for non-coplanar elliptical orbits. This nonlinear problem includes many local optima due to discontinuity and strong nonlinearity. In addition, since it does not provide a closed-form solution, it must be solved using a numerical method. Therefore, the initial guess is that a very sensitive factor is needed to obtain globally optimal values. Genetic algorithms are effective for solving these kinds of optimization problems due to inherent properties of random search algorithms. The main goal of this paper was to find minimum energy solution for orbit transfer problem. The numerical solution using initial values evaluated by the genetic algorithm matched with results of Hohmann transfer. Such optimal solution for unrestricted arbitrary elliptic orbits using universal variables provides flexibility to solve orbit transfer problems.
- Bate, R. R, Mueller, D. D. and White, J. E., Fundamentals of Astrodynamics, Dover, New York, 1971.
- Leeghim, H. and Jaroux, B. A., "Energy-Optimal Solution to the Lambert Problem", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 33, No. 3, 2010, pp. 1008-1010. DOI:10.2514/1.46606 https://doi.org/10.2514/1.46606
- Matt, H., Bong, W. and Yanning, G., "Spacecraft Guidance Algorithm for Asteroid Intercept and Rendezvous Missions", International Journal Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 13, No. 2, 2012, pp. 154-169. https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2012.13.2.154
- Prussing, J. E. and Chiu, J. H., "Optimal Multiple-Impulse Time-Fixed Rendezvous Between Circular Orbits", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 9, No. 1, 1986, pp. 17-22. DOI:10.2514/3.20060 https://doi.org/10.2514/3.20060
- Kechichian, J. A., "The Algorithm of the Two-Impulse Time-Fixed Noncoplanar Rendezvous with Drag and Oblatness Effects", The Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, Vol. 46, No. 1, 1998, pp. 47-64.
- Zhou, Y., Yan, Y. and Huang, X., "Optimal Two-Impulse Rendezvous on Perturbed Orbit via Genetic Algorithm", Intelligent Human-Machine Systems and Cybernetics (IHMSC), 2013 5th International Conference, Vol. 1, 2013, pp. 305-309. DOI:10.1109/IHMS.2013.79
- Yang, Z., Luo, Y. Z., Zhang, J. and Tang, G. J., "Homotopic Perturbed Lambert Algorithm for Long- Duration Rendezvous Optimization", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 38, No. 11, 2015, pp. 2215-2223. DOI:10.2514/1.G001198 https://doi.org/10.2514/1.G001198
- Luo, Y. Z., Liang, L. B., Niu, Z. Y. and Tang, G. J., "Safety-Optimal Linearized Impulsive Rendezvous with Trajectory Uncertainties", Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 6, 2013, pp. 04014038. DOI:10.1061/(ASCE)AS.1943-5525.0000366 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)AS.1943-5525.0000366
- Kim, Y. H. and Spencer, D. B., "Optimal Spacecraft Rendezvous Using Genetic Algorithms", Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 39, No. 6, 2002, pp. 859-865. DOI:10.2514/2.3908 https://doi.org/10.2514/2.3908
- Luo, Y. Z., Tang, G. J. and Li, H. Y., "Optimization of Multiple-Impulse Minimum-Time Rendezvous with Impulse Constraints Using a Hybrid Genetic Algorithm", Aerospace Science and Technology, Vol. 10, No. 6, 2006, pp. 534-540. DOI:10.1016/j.ast.2005.12.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2005.12.007
- Huang, Y. Y. and Chen, G. D., "Indirect Optimization for Finite-Thrust Orbital Interception Problem", Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 313, 2013, pp. 1051-1054, DOI:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.313-314.1051
- Chang, Y., Xian, Y., Li, J., Zhang, D. and Gao, J., "Perturbation Correction Calculation Method for Remote Rendezvous Between Non-Coplanar Elliptic Orbits", Computational Intelligence and Security(CIS), 2016 12th International Conference, 2016, pp. 208-212. DOI:10.1109/CIS.2016.0056
- Goldberg, D. E. and Holland, J. H., "Genetic Algorithm and Machine Learning", Machine Learning, Vol. 3, No. 2, 1988, pp. 95-99. DOI:10.1023/A:1022602019183 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022602019183
- Bryson, A. E., Applied Optimal Control: Optimization, Estimation and Control, CRC Press, Florida, 1975.
- Leeghim, H., "Spacecraft Intercept Using Minimum Control Energy and Wait Time", Celestial Mechanics and Dynamical Astronomy, Vol. 115, No. 1, 2013, pp. 1-19. DOI:10.1007/s10569-012-9448-5 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10569-012-9448-5
- Pham, D. and Jin, G., "Genetic Algorithm Using Gradient-Like Reproduction Operator", Electronics Letters, Vol. 31, No. 18, 1995, pp. 1558-1559. DOI:10.1049/el:19951092 https://doi.org/10.1049/el:19951092
- Janikow, C. Z. and Michalewicz, Z., "An Experimental Comparison of Binary and Floating Point Representations in Genetic Algorithms", ICGA Proceedings 1991, Morgan Kaufmann, MA, 1991.
- De Jong, K. A., An Analysis of the Behavior of a Class of Genetic Adaptive Systems, University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1975.
- A Mini-drone Development, Genetic Vector Field-Based Multi-agent Path Planning, and Flight Tests vol.19, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42405-018-0052-0