- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Study of Hybrid Optimization Technique for Grain Optimum Design
- Oh, Seok-Hwan (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Inha University) ;
- Kim, Yong-Chan (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Inha University) ;
- Cha, Seung-Won (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Inha University) ;
- Roh, Tae-Seong (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Inha University)
- Received : 2017.03.17
- Accepted : 2017.09.29
- Published : 2017.12.30
The propellant grain configuration is a design variable that determines the shape and performance of a solid rocket motor. Grain configuration variables have complicated effects on the motor performance; so the global optimization problem has to be solved in order to design the configuration variables. The grain performance has been analyzed by means of the grain burn-back and internal ballistic analysis, and the optimization technique searches for the configuration variables that satisfy the requirements. The deterministic and stochastic optimization techniques have been applied for the grain optimization, but the results are imperfect. In this study, the optimization design of the configuration variables has been performed using the hybrid optimization technique, which combines those two techniques. As a result, the hybrid optimization technique has proved to be efficient for the grain optimization design.
Supported by : Inha University
- Brooks, W. T., "Solid Propellant Grain Design and Internal Ballistics", NASA SP-8076, 1972.
- Nisar, K. and Guozhu, L., "Design and Comparative Study of Various Two-Dimensional Grain Configurations Based on Optimization Method", Asian Joint Conference on Propulsion and Power, 2008, pp. 226-234.
- Oh, S. H., "Solid Rocket Optimal Design Considering Propellant Configuration Optimization", Inha University Press, 2013.
- Sohn, J. H., Oh, S. H., Jang, J. S. and Roh, T. S., "Study on Solid Propellant Grain Burn-back Analysis Using Analytical Method", Journal of the Korean Society of Propulsion Engineers, Vol. 18, No. 3, 2014, pp. 40-47. https://doi.org/10.6108/KSPE.2014.18.3.040
- Acik, S., "Internal Ballistic Design Optimization of a Solid Rocket Motor", Middle East Technical University, 2010.
- Lin, M. H., Tsai, J. F. and Yu, C. S., "A Review of Deterministic Optimization Methods in Engineering and Management", Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Vol. 2012, 2012.
- Kelner, V., Capitanescu, F., Leonard, O. and Wehenkel, L., "A Hybrid Optimization Technique Coupling an Evolutionary and a Local Search Algorithm", Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 215, No. 2, 2008, pp. 448-456. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cam.2006.03.048
- Cavallini, E., "Modelling and Numerical Simulation of Solid Rocket Motors Internal Ballistics", Sapienza Universita di Roma, 2010.
- Oh, S. H., Jang, J. S., Sohn, J. H. and Roh, T. S., "Optimal Design of Solid Propellant Configuration Through Internal Ballistics Analysis", Asia-Pacific International Symposium on Aerospace Technology, 2013.
- Hartfield, R., Jenkins, R., Burkhalter, J. and Foster, W., "A Review of Analytical Methods for Solid Rocket Motor Grain Analysis", 39th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, 2003, AIAA-2003-4506.
- Sforzini, R. H., Foster, W. A., Joseph, J. and Johnson, S., "A Monte Carlo Investigation of Thrust Imbalance of Solid Rocket Motor Pairs", NASA -CP-J 20700, 1974.
- Nisar, K. and Guozhu, L., "A New Approach for Design and Optimization of SRM Wagon Wheel Grain", Asian Joint Conference on Propulsion and Power, 2008, pp. 247-254.
- Lagarias, J. C., Reeds, J. A., Wright, M. H. and Wright, P. E., "Convergence Properties of the Nelder-Mead Simplex Method in Low Dimensions", SIAM Journal of Optimization, 1998, pp. 112-147.
- Arora, J. S., Introduction to Optimum Design, McGraw Hill Co., 1989.
- YUCEL, "Osman, Ballistic Design Optimization of Three Dimensional Grains Using Genetic Algorithms", Middle East Technical University, 2012.
- Grefenstette, J. J., "Optimization of Control Parameters for Genetic Algorithms", IEEE Transactions on Systems, Vol. 16, Issue 1, 1986, pp. 122-128.
- Jang, J. S., Lee, S. B. and Roh, T. S., "Derivation of Optimal Design Parameters for Grain Configuration of Solid Rocket Motor", 29th International Symposium on Space Technology and Science, 2013.