- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Measurement of Heat Flux in Rocket Combustors Using Plug-Type Heat Flux Gauges
- Kim, Min Seok (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Yu, I Sang (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Wan Chan (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Shin, Dong Hae (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Ko, Young Sung (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2017.04.17
- Accepted : 2017.11.08
- Published : 2017.12.30
This paper proposes a new measurement method to improve the shortcomings of an existing integral method for measuring heat flux in plug-type heat flux gauges in the high-temperature and high-pressure environments of liquid-rocket combustors. Using the existing integral measurement method, the calculation of the surface area for the heat flux in the gauge exhibits error in relation to the actual surface area. To solve this problem, transient profiles obtained from ANSYS Fluent were used to calculate unsteady heat flux as it adjusted to the measured temperature. First, a heat flux gauge was designed and manufactured specifically for use in the high-temperature and high-pressure conditions that are similar to those of liquid rocket combustors. A calibration test was performed to prove the reliability of the manufactured gauge. Then, a combustion experiment was conducted, in which the gauge was used to measure unsteady heat flux in a liquid rocket combustor that used kerosene and liquid oxygen as propellants. Reasonable heat flux values were obtained using the gauge. Therefore, the proposed measurement method is considered to offer significant improvement over the existing integral method.
Supported by : MSIP (Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning)
- Won-Geun, A., "Experimental Study for the Heat Flux in Liquid Rocket Thrust Chamber", Master's Thesis, Aerospace Dept., Chungnam National University, Korea, 2003.
- De Luca, L. T., Shimada, T., Sinditskii, V. P. and Calabro, M., "Chemical Rocket Propulsion: A Comprehensive Survey of Energetic Materials", Springer, 2016, pp. 441-442.
- Suslov, D., Woschnak, A., Greuel, D. and Oschwald, M., "Measurement Techniques for Investigation of Heat Transfer Processes at European Research and Technology Test Facility P8", Deutscher Luft- und Raumfahrtkongress, Institute of Space Propulsion, Germany Aerospace Center(DLR), Germany, 2005, pp. 1-2.
- Liebert, C. H., "Measurement of Local High-Level Transient Surface Heat Flux", NASA Technical paper 2840, 1988.
- Liebert, C. H., "Miniature High Temperature Plug-Type Heat Flux Gauges", NASA Technical Memorandum 105403, 1992.
- Santoro, R. J. and Merkle, C. L., "Main Chamber and Preburner Injector Technology", Final report for NASA, 1999, pp. 33-34.
- Liebert, C. H., "Miniature Convection Cooled Plug-Type Heat Flux Gauges", NASA Technical Memorandum 106483, 1994.
- Liebert, C. H., "Dual Active Surface Heat Flux Gage Probe", NASA Technical Memorandum 106861, 1995.
- Rooke, S., Fralick, G. and Liebert, C., "Heat Transfer Analysis of a Plug-Type Heat Flux Gauge", AIAA, Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 12, No. 4, 1998, pp. 536-542. DOI: 10.2514/2.6373 https://doi.org/10.2514/2.6373
- Henninger, J. H., "Solar Absorptance and Thermal Emittance of Some Common Spacecraft Thermal-Control Coatings", NASA Reference Publication 1121, 1984, pp. 7.
- Seung, P. K., "Experimental Investigation of the LRE Thrust Chamber on Cooling System", Master's Thesis, Aerospace Dept., Chungnam National University, Korea, 2004.
- Abdulghani, O., Sobih, M., Youssef, A., and El- Batahgy, A., "Modeling and Simulation of Laser Assisted Turning of Hard Steels", Modeling and Numerical Simulation of Material Science, Vol. 3 No. 4, 2013, pp. 106-113. doi: 10.4236/mnsms.2013.34014 https://doi.org/10.4236/mnsms.2013.34014