- Volume 17 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Advertising Content Creativity on Desire to Postpone Cognitive Closure and Ad Attitude - Focusing on the Mediating Effect of Disfluency
광고 콘텐츠의 창의성이 인지종결 지연욕구와 광고태도에 미치는 영향 - 비유창성의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Received : 2017.09.11
- Accepted : 2017.11.14
- Published : 2017.12.28
So far, there have been studies to verify the effectiveness of creative advertising contents, but there have been few studies explaining why creative advertisement contents are effective in consumer cognitive processes. The purpose of this study is to examine the effect of creativity of ad contents on desire to postpone cognitive closure and ad attitude. Furthermore, the cause of the advertising effect of the creative advertisement contents was set as disfluency and the relationship between the related variables was verified. Research has shown that creative advertising does not directly produce positive advertising attitudes, but it also forms ad attitudes through mediating effects of disfluency. In addition, it was found that disfluency mediated the desire to postpone cognitive closure in creative advertising. In summary, this study finds that the disfluency of advertising is an important variable for enhancing the advertising effect of creative advertisement. This study verified the advertising effect of creative advertisement by connecting it with consumers' cognitive variables.
Advertising Content;Creative Content;Desire To Postpone Cognitive Closure;Disfluency;Cognitive Delay Needs;Cognitive Closure;Ad Attitudes
- 양윤직, "콘텐츠, SNS검색," 동아비즈니스 리뷰, 제213호, p.11, 2016.
- R. Grover and J. Fine, The sound of many hands zapping, BusinessWeek, 2006(5).
- F. R. Kardes, M. L. Cronley, J. J. Kellaris, and S. S. Posavac, "The role of selective information processing in price-quality inference," J. Consumer Res., Vol.31, No.2, pp.368-374, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1086/422115
- Xiaojing Yang and Robert E. Smith, "Beyond Attention Effect : Modeling the Persuasive and Emotional Effects of Advertising Creativity," Marketing Science, Vol.28, No.5, pp.935-949, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.1080.0460
- E. F. McQuarrie and D. G. Mick, "Visual Rhetoric in Advertising: Text-Interpretive, Experimental, and Reader-Response Analyses," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.26, Issue.1, pp.37-54, 1999(6). https://doi.org/10.1086/209549
- B. D. Till and D. W. Baack, "Recall and Persuasion: Does Creative Advertisinig Matter?," Journal of Advertising, Vol.34, Issue.3, pp.47-57, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.2005.10639201
- A. W. Kruglanski and D. M. Webster, "Motivated closing of the mind: "Seizing" and "freezing"," Psych. Rev., Vol.103, No.2, pp.263-283, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.103.2.263
- S. H. Ang, Y. H. Lee, and S. M. Leong, "The ad creativity cube: conceptualization and initial validation," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.35, Issue.2, pp.220-232, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-007-0042-4
- Arthur J. Kover, Stephen M. Goldberg and William L. James, "Creativity vs. Effectiveness? An Integrating Classification for Advertising," Journal of Advertising Research, Vol.35, Issue.6, pp.29-40, 1995.
- Swee Hoon Ang and Sharon Y. M. Low, "Exploring the Dimensions of Ad Creativity," Psychology & Marketing, Vol.17, Issue.10, pp.835-854, 2000(10). https://doi.org/10.1002/1520-6793(200010)17:10<835::AID-MAR1>3.0.CO;2-#
- Gerald Stone, Donna Besser and Loran E. Lewis, "Recall, Liking, and Creativity in TV Commerciais: A New Approach," Jorrnal of Advertising Research, Vol.40, Issue.3, pp.7-18, 2000(6).
- 이화자, 광고 그리고 창의성, 커뮤니케이션북스, pp.12-20, 2002.
- R. E. Smith, J. Chen, and X. Yang, "The impact of advertising creativity on the hierarchy-of-effects," J. Advertising, Vol.37, No.4, pp.47-61, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2753/JOA0091-3367370404
- Douglas West, Albert Caruana, and Kannika Leelapanyalert, "What makes Win, Place, or Show Judging Creating in Advertising at Award Shows," Journal of Advertising Research, Vol.53, No.3, pp.324-338, 2013. https://doi.org/10.2501/JAR-53-3-324-338
- Anastasiya Pocheptsova and Aparna A. Labroo, "Metacognition and consumer judgment: fluency is pleasant but disfluency ignites interest," Current Opinion in Psychology, Vol.10, pp.154-159, 2016(8). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.copsyc.2016.01.008
- R. E. Smith, S. B. MacKenzie, X. Yang, L. M. Buchholz, and W. K. Darley, "Modeling the determinants and effects of creativity in advertising," Marketing Sci., Vol.26, No.6, pp.819-833, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.1070.0272
- Douglas C. West, Arther J. Kover. and Albert Caruana, "Practitioner and customer views of advertising creativity," Journal of Advertising, Vol.37, No.4, pp.35-45, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2753/JOA0091-3367370403
- R. E. Smith and X. Yang, "Toward a general theory of creativity in advertising: Examining the role of divergence," Marketing Theory, Vol.4, No.1/2, pp.29-55, 2004.
- Deborah J. Maclnnis and Bernard J. Jaworski, "Information Processing from Advertisements: Toward an Integrative Framework," Journal of Marketing, Vol.53, Issue.4, pp.1-23. 1989(10).
- Elliot Hirshman and Neil Mulligan, "Perceptual interference improves explicit memory but does not enhance data-driven processing," Journal of Experimental Psychology, Learning, Memory & Cognition, Vol.17, pp.507-513, 1991(5). https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-73220.127.116.117
- R. Pieters, L. Warlop, and M. Wedel, "Breaking through the clutter: Benefits of advertisement originality and familiarity for brand attention and memory," Management Sci., Vol.48, No.6, pp.765-781, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.48.6.765.192
- Daniel W. Baack, Rick T. Wilson, and Brian D. Till, "Creativity and Memory Effects Recall. Recognition and an Exploration of Nontraditional Media," Journal of Advertising, Vol.37, No.4, pp.85-94, 2007.
- S. J. Hoch and Y. Ha, "Consumer learning: Advertising and the ambiguity of product experience," J. Consumer Res., Vol.13, No.2, pp.221-223, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1086/209062
- R. E. Smith and W. R. Swinyard, "Cognitive response to advertising and trial: Belief strength, belief confidence and product curiosity," Journal of Advertising, Vol.17, No.3, pp.3-14, 1988.
- De Dreu and C. K. W, "Time pressure and closing of the mind in negotiation," Organ. Behav. Human Decision Proc, Vol.91, Issue.2, pp.280-295, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-5978(03)00022-0
- A. F. Stushlmacher and M. V. Champagne, "The impact of time pressure and information on negotiation process and decisions," Group Decision and Negotiation, Vol.9, No.6, pp.471-491, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008736622709
- 장선희, "시각자극의 모호함과 아이디어교류의 유무에 따른 디자인 아이디어의 창의성 예측," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제16권, 제4호, pp.275-288, 2016.
- A. H. Eagly and S. Chaiken, The Psychology of Attitudes, Harcourt, Brace Jovanovich College Publishers, Orlando, FL, 1993.
- D. M. Webster and A. W, Kruglanski, "Individual differences in need for cognitive closure," J. personality Soc. Psychology, Vol.67, No.6, pp.1049-1062, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1689
- Sorin Solomon, David Mazursky and Jacob Goldenberg, "The Fundemental Templetes of Quality Ads," Marketing Science, Vol.18, No.3, 1999.
- Steven S. Posavac, Cracking the Code : Leveraging Consumer Psychology to Drive Profitability, Routledge, p.219, 2012.
- Claire I. Tsai and Ann L. Mcgill, "No pain, no gain? How Fluency and Construal level affect consumer confidence," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.37, Issue.2, pp.220-232, 2011.
- Robert A Bjork and Daniel Druckman, Learning, Remembering, Believing: Enhancing Human Performance, National Academy Press Washington, D.C., 1994.
- P. Brinol, Richard E. Petty, and Zakary L. Tormala, "The Self-Validation of Cognitive Responses to Advertisements," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.30, pp.559-573, 2006(3).
- Angela Y. Lee and Aparna A. Labroo, "The effect of conceptual and perceptual fluency on brand evaluation," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.12, pp.151-165, 2004.
- Diemand-Yauman, Daniel M. Oppenheimer, and Erikka B. Vaughan, "Effect of Disfluency on Educational Outcomes," Cognition, Vol.118, Issue.1, pp.114-118, 2011.
- L. Festinger, A theory of cognitive dissonance, Evanstone, IL: Row, Peterson, 1957.
- H. B. Gerrard and G. C. Mathewson, "The Effects of Severity of Initiation on Liking for a Group: A Replication," Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.2, pp.278-287, 1966(7). https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1031(66)90084-9
- S. B. MacKenzie, R. Lutz, and G. Belch, "The role of attitude toward the ad as a mediator of advertising effectiveness: A test of competing explanations," J. Marketing Res., Vol.23, pp.130-143, 1986(5). https://doi.org/10.2307/3151660
- 소현진, "광고효과 모형에 관한 문헌연구 : 모형의 검토와 제언," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제13권, 제12호, pp.986-994, 2013.
- 김철수, "감정반응과 태도의 광고효과 중재역할 : 구조적 관계와 효과과정을 중심으로," 사회과학연구, 제8권, 제12호, pp.343-347, 1990.
- L. L. Jacoby, L. G. Allan, J. C. Collins, and L. K. Larwill, "Memory Influences Subjective Experience: Noise Judgments," Journal of Experimental Psychology : Learning, Memory, and Cognition, Vol.14, No.2, pp.240-247, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-7322.214.171.124
- Norbert Schwarz, "Metacognitive Experiences in Consumer Judgment and Decision Making," Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol.14, No.4, pp.332-348, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327663jcp1404_2
- Juliet Corbin and Anselm Strauss, Basics of Qualistive Research : Technique and Procedure for Developing Grounded Theory, SAGE Publications Inc, 2007.
- 이정교, "유명인 광고모델의 카리스마가 소비자의 광고반응에 미치는 영향에 대한 연구," 한국광고홍보학보, 제17권, 제4호, pp.41-64, 2015.
- R. M. Baron and D. A. Kenny, "The Moderator-Mediator Variable Distinction in Social Psychological Re-I search: Conceptual, Strategic, and Statistical Considerations," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.51, pp.1173-1182, 1986(12). https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1993