- Volume 17 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing Insufficient Physical Activity in Older Cancer Patients: Using 2014 Survey of Living Condition of Elderly Study
노인 암 환자의 신체활동 부족 영향 요인: 2014 노인실태조사 자료 활용
- 강현욱 (강원대학교 간호대학 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.09.11
- Accepted : 2017.11.16
- Published : 2017.12.28
The purpose of this study was to identify the factors influencing insufficient physical activity in older cancer patients. Data were analyzed from the 2014 Survey of Living Condition of Elderly study. Metabolic Equivalent Tasks(MET) hours were calculated using self-reported weekly frequency, duration and types of physical activities to measure the degree of physical activity. Factors influencing insufficient physical activity in older adults included limitations in ADL and IADL, depression, impaired cognitive function, current smoker, lower levels of social activity participation and life satisfaction with social or leisure activities. When adjusted for demographic factors, patients with ADL limitation had 2.8 times (OR=2.762, CI=1.110, 7.952) higher risks of insufficient physical activities than those without. Current smokers had 2.4 times (OR=2.426, CI=1.113, 5.288) higher risks than non-smokers.
Cancer;Older Adults;Physical Activity;Risk Factor
- R. B. Martucci, M. V. Barbosa, C. A. D'Almeida, V. D. Rodrigues, A. Bergmann, N. B. de Pinho, and L. C. S. Thuler, "Undernutrition as independent predictor of early mortality in elderly cancer patients," Nutrition, Vol.34, pp.65-70, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2016.09.011
- R. Yancik, "Population aging and cancer: A cross-national concern," Cancer Journal, Vol.11, No.6, pp.437-441, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1097/00130404-200511000-00002
- Korean Statistical Information Service[KOSIS] (61개 암종/성/연령(5세)별 5년 암유병자수, 유병률 http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=117 &tblId=DT_117N_A00122&conn_path=I2
- R. Yancik, "Cancer burden in the aged: A epidemiologic and demographic overview," Cancer, Vol.80, No.7, pp.1273-1283, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19971001)80:7<1273::AID-CNCR13>3.0.CO;2-4
- K. R. Yabroff, W. F. Lawrence, S. Clauser, W. W. Davis, and M. L. Brown, "Burden of illness in cancer survivors: findings from a population-based national sample," Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Vol.96, No.17, pp.1322-1330, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djh255
- W. Demark‐Wahnefried, M. C. Morey, R. Sloane, D. C. Snyder, and H. J. Cohen, "Promoting healthy lifestyles in older cancer survivors to improve health and preserve function," Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, Vol.57, No.s2, pp.S262-S264, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2009.02507.x
- National Cancer Institute(2012), Cancer survivorship research, http://www.cancer.gov/
- F. Baker, S. C. Haffer, and M. Denniston, "Health-related quality of life of cancer and noncancer patients in Medicare managed care," Cancer, Vol.97, No.3, pp.674-681, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.11085
- Y. Tarasenko, C. Chen, and N. Schoenberg, "Self‐Reported Physical Activity Levels of Older Cancer Survivors: Results from the 2014 National Health Interview Survey," Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, Vol.65, No.2, pp.e39-e44, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.14589
- K. H. Schmitz, K. S. Courneya, C. Matthews, W. Demark-Wahnefried, D. A. Galvao, B. M. Pinto, M. L. Irwin, K. Y. Wolin, R. J. Segal, A. Lucia, and C. M. Schneider, "American College of Sports Medicine roundtable on exercise guidelines for cancer survivors," Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, Vol.42, No.7, pp.1409-1426, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181e0c112
- C. L. Rock, C. Doyle, W. Demark-Wahnefried, J. Meyerhardt, K. S. Courneya, A. L. Schwartz, E. V. Bandera, K. K. Hamilton, B. Grant, M. McCullough, and T. Byers, "Nutrition and physical activity guidelines for cancer survivors," CA: Cancer Journal for Clinicians, Vol.62, No.4, pp.242-247, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21142
- K. Y. Wolin, A. L. Schwartz, C. E. Matthews, K. S. Courneya, and K. H. Schmitz, "Implementing the exercise guidelines for cancer survivors," The Journal of Supportive Oncology, Vol.10, No.5, pp.171-177, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suponc.2012.02.001
- W. Demark-Wahnefried, E. C. Clipp, M. C. Morey, C. F. Pieper, R. Sloane, D. C. Snyder, and H. J. Cohen, "Physical function and associations with diet and exercise: Results of a cross-sectional survey among elders with breast or prostate cancer," International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, Vol.1, No.1, pp.1-6, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-1-1
- C. E. Mosher, R. Sloane, M. C. Morey, D. C. Snyder, H. J. Cohen, P. E. Miller, and W. Demark‐Wahnefried, "Associations between lifestyle factors and quality of life among older long‐term breast, prostate, and colorectal cancer survivors," Cancer, Vol.115, No.17, pp.4001-4009, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.24436
- L. K. Sprod, S. G. Mohile, W. Demark-Wahnefried, M. C. Janelsins, L. J. Peppone, G. R. Morrow, R. Lord, H. Gross, K. and M. Mustian, "Exercise and cancer treatment symptoms in 408 newly diagnosed older cancer patients," Journal of Geriatric Oncology, Vol.3, No.2, pp.90-97, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgo.2012.01.002
- B. Secretan, K. Straif, R. Baan, Y. Grosse, F. El Ghissassi, V. Bouvard, L. Benbrahim-Tallaa, N. Guha, C. Freeman, L. Galichet, and V. Cogliano, "A review of human carcinogens- Part E: tobacco, areca nut, alcohol, coal smoke, and salted fish," Lancet Oncology, Vol.10, No.11, pp.1033-1034, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(09)70326-2
- W. J. Chodzko-Zajko, D. N. Proctor, M. A. Fiatarone Singh, C. T. Minson, C. R. Nigg, G. J. Salem, and J. S. Skinner, "American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Exercise and physical activity for older adults," Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise, Vol.41, No.7, pp.1510-1530, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181a0c95c
- G. L. Smith, L. Banting, R. Eime, G. O'Sullivan, and J. G. van Uffelen, "The association between social support and physical activity in older adults: a systematic review," International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, Vol.14, No.1, pp.56-77, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12966-017-0509-8
- S. H. Kim and Y. H. Yun, "Associations between health behaviors and health-related quality of life among breast cancer survivors," Asian Oncology Nursing, Vol.12, No.1, pp.12-19, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2012.12.1.12
- C. Haley and R. Andel, "Correlates of physical activity participation in community-dwelling older adults," Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, Vol.18, No.4, pp.375-389, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1123/japa.18.4.375
- 최연희, 김나영, "지역 주민 건강리더를 활용한 자조운동 프로그램이 노인의 체력, 인지기능, 우울 및 삶의 질에 미치는 효과," 지역사회간호학회지, 제24권, 제3호, pp.346-357, 2013.
- M. J. LaMonte, C. E. Lewis, D. M. Buchner, K. R. Evenson, S. Rillamas,‐I. M. Lee, J. Bellettiere, M. L. Stefanick, C. B. Eaton, and B. V. Howard, "Both light intensity and moderate ‐to vigorous physical activity measured by accelerometry are favorably associated with cardiometabolic risk factors in older women: the objective physical activity and cardiovascular health(OPACH) study," Journal of the American Heart Association, Vol.6, No.10, p.e007064, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.117.007064
- Y. M. Chen, Y. P. Li, and M. L. Yen, "Gender differences in the predictors of physical activity among assisted living residents," Journal of Nursing Scholarship, Vol.47, No.3, pp.211-218, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12132
- 이홍자, "유산소운동이 중년여성의 신체구성, 혈청지질, 자기효능 및 삶의 만족도에 미치는 효과," 대한임상건강증진학회지, 제7권, 제3호, pp.196-204, 2007.
- R. A. Cummins, "Normative life satisfaction: Measurement issues and a homeostatic model," Social Indicators Research, Vol.64, No.2, pp.225-256, 2002.
- 보건사회연구원(2017), Data Bank. http://hawel sis.kihasa.re.kr/micro/subject_view.jsp?grp_seq =&project_seq=319
- A. L. Stewart, K. M. Mills, A. C. King, W. L. Haskell, D. A. Gillis, and P. L. Ritter, "CHAMPS physical activity questionnaire for older adults: outcomes for interventions," Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, Vol.33, No.7, pp.1126-1141, 2001.
- C. Doyle, L. H. Kushi, T. Byers, K. S. Courneya, W. Demark Wahnefried, B. Grant, A. McTiernan, C. L. Rock, C. Thompson, T. Gansler, and K. S. Andrews, "Nutrition and physical activity during and after cancer treatment: an American Cancer Society guide for informed choices," A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, Vol.56, No.6, pp.323-353, 2006. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.56.6.323
- M. F. Folstein, S. E. Folstein, and P. R. McHugh, ""Mini-mental state": a practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician," Journal of Psychiatric Research, Vol.12, No.3, pp.189-198, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3956(75)90026-6
- 정경희, 오영희, 강은나, 김재호, 선우덕, 오미애, 이윤경, 황남희, 김경래, 오신휘, 박보미, 신현구, 이금룡, 2014년도 노인실태조사, 한국보건사회연구원, 2014.
- J. I. Sheikh and J. A. Yesavage, Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS). Recent evidence and development of a shorter version, NY:The Haworth Press, 1986.
- J. N. Bae and M. J. Cho, "Development of the Korean version of the Geriatric Depression Scale and its short form among elderly psychiatric patients," Journal of Psychosomatic Research, Vol.57, No.3, pp.297-305, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2004.01.004
- 원장원, 노용균, 김수영, 조비룡, 이영수, "한국형 일상생활활동 측정도구(K-ADL)의 타당도 및 신뢰도," 노인병, 제6권 제2호, pp.98-106, 2002.
- M. P. Lawton and E. M. Brody, "Assessment of older people: self-maintaining and instrumental activities of daily living," Gerontologist, Vol.9, No.3, pp.179-186, 1969. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/9.3_Part_1.179
- S. H. Moon, D. T. Lee, and Y. Son, "Adherence to health-related lifestyle behavior recommendations and association with quality of life among cancer survivors and age-matched controls in Korea," Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, Vol.14, No.5, pp.2949-2954, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.2949
- S. Y. Chun, H. Park, T. H. Lee, and E. C. Park, "Do long term cancer survivors have better health-promoting behavior than non-cancer populations? Case-control study in Korea," Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, Vol.16, No.4, pp.1415-1420, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1415
- C. Browning, J. Sims, H. Kendig, and K. Teshuva, "Predictors of physical activity behavior in older community-dwelling adults," Journal of Allied Health, Vol.38, No.1, pp.8-17, 2009.
- S. Wassink-Vossen, R. M. Collard, R. C. O. Voshaar, H. C. Comijs, H. M. de Vocht, and P. Naarding, "Physical (in) activity and depression in older people," Journal of Affective Disorders, Vol.161, No.2014, pp.65-72, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2014.03.001
- I. Ajzen, "The Theory of Planned Behavior," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision, Vol.50, No.2, pp.179-211, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- A. Surbone, M. A. Annunziata, A. Santoro, U. Tirelli, and P. Tralongo, "Cancer patients and survivors: changing words or changing culture?," Annals of Oncology, Vol.24, No.10, pp.2468-2471, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdt229