- Volume 17 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Priority of Documentary Films' Success Factor: AHP Analysis
AHP기법을 통한 다큐멘터리 영화 성공요인 중요도 분석
- Received : 2017.10.17
- Accepted : 2017.11.16
- Published : 2017.12.28
A golden age for Korean documentary films has begun in the 2010s. At present, the success of documentary film is attracting interest than any time in history. To meet the timely demand, the present study conducted research on success factors of documentary films for the first time. This study adopted the three categories of Litman's film success factors (creative domain, distribution domain, and marketing domain) and integrated to the cases of Korean documentary films to extract 12 success factors of documentary films through experts' validation process. Moreover, this study applied AHP method and examined the relative importance of success factors of documentary films. The result was as follows. The significant success factors mostly were found within creative domain. Documentaries that feature common themes rated the distribution/marketing factors highly whereas documentaries that cover socio-political themes rated highly the governments funding and infrastructure building. With regard to the online phenomenon of participating viewer, there was a gap in perception: the production field rated it high while the distribution/marketing field rated it relatively low. These success factors and priority will be used as baseline data in diverse fields related to documentary films, and provide significant implications to documentary film staff, policy makers, and researchers.
Documentary Film;Success Factors;Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP);Film Industry
- Korean Film Council, Integrated System of Box Office Records.
- Korean Film Council Policy Research Department, 2014 Korean Film Industry Report, Korean Film Council, 2014.
- S. Y. Im, "A comparative case study of factors determining documentary films' success : Focusing on 'My Love, Don't Cross That River' and 'Two Doors'" J. of Contents Association, Vol.17, No.10, pp.503-517, 2017.
- E. M. Kim, "Deternimnants of Korean Film Success," Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol. 47, No.2, pp.190-220, 2003
- S. Y. Park, "Success Factors of Animated Films," Animation Study, Vol.6, No.4, pp.23-37, 2010.
- W. K. Chung, "Success Factors of Animated Films, Focusing on films released in 2008-2010," Cartoon Animation Study, pp.21-32, 2009.
- S. A. Kwak, Success Factors of Low Budget Films, Graduate School of Arts and Cultural Management at Chugye University for the Arts, Master's thesis, 2009.
- S. Y. Kim, S. H. Lim, and Y. S. Chung, "Comparative Study of Success Predictors of Film by Type," Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.10, No.2, pp.381-393, 2012.
- B. R. Litman, "Predicting the success of Theatrical Movies: An Empirical Study," Journal of Popular Culture, Vol.17, pp.159-175, 1983.
- B. R. Litman and L. S. Kohl, "Predicting Financial Success of Motion Pictures: The 80's Experience" Journal of Media Economics, Vol.2, pp.35-50, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1080/08997768909358184
- J. Wyatt, Current research in film:Audiences, economics and law, Ablex, 1988.
- S. Sochay, "Predicting performance of motion pictures," Journal of Media Economics, Vol.7, pp.1-20, 1994.
- J. Prag and J. Casavant, "An empirical study of the determinants of revenues and marketing expenditures in the motion picture industry," Journal of Cultural Economics, Vol.18, pp.217-235, 1994 . https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01080227
- H. H. Kim, Analysis of Star Power n Korean Film Stars, Samsung Economic Research Institute, 1997.
- H. J. Kim, Is there a breakthrough for Korean film industry?, Samsung Economic Research Institute, 1999.
- H. H. Shin, Studly of success factors in Korean film industry-Focusing on films released in Seoul, Konkuk University, Master's thesis, 2000.
- H. S. Yoo, "Study of success factors for Korean film: focusing on production-related variables," Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol.46, No.3, pp.183-213, 2002.
- S. Kim, Correlation of Korean film's structural and behavioral factors to box office success, Ewha Womans University, Master's thesis, 2002.
- S. A. Ahn and T. J. Kim, "Factor analysis of film runtime rate and viewer reduction rate," Korea Marketing Review, Vol.8, No.3, pp.1-17, 2003.
- J. W. Park and G. O. Lee, "Impact of newspaper report related to a film on film's success : focusing on the length, time, and orientation of the report," Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol.48, No.6, pp.62-83, 2004.
- J. M. Koh, "Online fan community's activities and participation tendency," Review of CUltural Economics, Vol.11, pp.33-59, 2008.
- S. H. Park and W. K. Chung, "Determinants of success in Korean film market : focusing on films released in 2006-2008," Journal of Communication Science, Vol.9, pp.243-276, 2009.
- S. H. Park, H. J. Song, and W. K. Chung, "Determinants of Korean film's success," Journal of Communication Science, Vol.11, No.4, pp.231-258, 2011.
- Y. H. Kim and J. H. Hong, "Determinant of film's success and performance prediction study," Communications of the Korean Statistical Society, Vol.18, No.6, pp.859-869, 2011.
- J. H. Kim, "Analysis of Star Power in Korean Films, 2003-2007," Film studies, No.38, pp.11-52, 2008.
- B. S. Kim, "Comparative study of success predictors by film type," Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol.53, pp.257-287, 2009.
- B. H. Chang, Y. H. Lee, and B. S. Kim, "Perfecting the predictors of film's success using psychological factors," Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol.53, No.4, pp.346-371, 2009.
- Y. G. Chu and S. H. Park, "Success factors of Japanese Animation," The Japanese Modern Association of Korea, Vol.42, pp.417-438, 2013.
- H. R. Lee and C. H. Cho, "Study of quality index for school building designs," Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea, Vol.28, No.5, pp.69-77, 2012.
- I. H. Lee and S. B. Cho, "Success Factors of Korean Films Using Quantile Regression Analysis," Journal of the Korea Management Engineers Society, Vol.198, No.4, pp.117-134, 2014.
- T. L. Satty, The Analytic Hierarchy Process: Planning Priorty Setting, Resource Allocation, Mcgraw-Hill Books, 1980
- T. L. Satty, Decision Making for Leaders: The Analytic Hierarchy Process for Decisions in a Complex World. Third Revised Edition, Pittsburgh: RWS Publication, 2012.
- Y. H. Shim, K. S. Byun, and B. K. Lee, "Strategic extraction of priority using AHP and ANP method for Green ICT Policy," Journal of Internet Computing and Services, Vol.12, No.1, pp.85-98, 2011.
- K. H. Yoo and H. S. Chae, "Case study about diversified methods of distributing low-budget films," Association of image & Film Studies, Vol.10, pp.293-322, 2007.
- I. E. Sorensen, "Crowdsourcing and outsourcing: the impact of online funding and distribution on the documentary film industry in the UK," Media, Culture & Society, Vol.34, No.6, pp.726-743, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1177/0163443712449499