- Volume 17 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting the Delay of the Final Purchase Decision in Online Shopping: Investigating the Moderating Effect of Need for Cognitive Closure
온라인 쇼핑에서 최종 구매결정 지연 발생의 영향요인: 인지적 종결욕구의 조절효과를 중심으로
- Received : 2017.08.16
- Accepted : 2017.09.12
- Published : 2017.12.28
While online shopping has been increased expeditiously, a significant portion of purchasing intention has not been converted into actual purchasing behavior without delay in online space. This study investigates the factors causing a delay in online purchasing decision even after purchasing intention has been formed. It identifies the uncertainty variables (information, psychological, and preference uncertainties) related to consumer needs and the situational variables (time pressure and past purchase experience) surrounding the purchasing transaction. Furthermore, the need for cognitive closure is proposed to moderate the relationships between uncertainty/situational variables and the purchasing behavior. The results show that the uncertainties and situational factors significantly influence purchasing delay. Also, the need for cognitive closure indeed works as a moderator between the uncertainty variables and the purchasing behavior. Practical and academic implications of these findings are also discussed.
- 통계청, "온라인쇼핑몰 취급상품범위별 거래액," 온라인 쇼핑 동향 조사, 2017(8).
- The Monetate E-Commerce Quarterly, "Conversion rates to add-to-basket/cart and sale," 2016.
- 김도훈, 온라인 쇼핑 시 지각된 불확실성, 상황적 요인, 인지적 종결욕구가 구매지연에 미치는 효과, 연세대학교 정보대학원, 석사학위논문, 2016.
- C. H. Cho, J. Kang, and H. J. Cheon, "Online shopping hesitation," CyberPsychology & Behavior, Vol.9, No.3, pp.261-274, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2006.9.261
- C. K. Anderson and J. G. Wilson, "Wait or buy? The strategic consumer: Pricing and profit implications," Journal of the Operational Research Society, Vol.54, No.3, pp.299-306, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jors.2601497
- A. G. Close and M. Kukar-Kinney, "Beyond buying: Motivations behind consumers' online shopping cart use," Journal of Business Research, Vol.63, No.9, pp.986-992, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2009.01.022
- M. Hsu, M. Bhatt, R. Adolphs, D. Tranel, and C. F. Camerer, "Neural systems responding to degrees of uncertainty in human decision-making," Science, Vol.310, No.5754, pp.1680-1683, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1115327
- 김종욱, 서상혁, "인터넷 소비자의 구매지연행동에 영향을 미치는 요인," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제14권, 제7호, pp.407-426, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.07.407
- K. Buhr and M. J. Dugas, "The intolerance of uncertainty scale: Psychometric properties of the English version," Behaviour research and therapy, Vol.40, No.8, pp.931-945, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7967(01)00092-4
- 이은진, 정욱환, "인터넷 쇼핑몰 유형별 패션 소비자의 불확실성, 후회경험 및 부정적 행동의도에 관한 연구," 한국의류산업학회지, 제15권, 제5호, pp.763-776, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.5.763
- J. B. Schmidt and R. A. Spreng, "A proposed model of external consumer information search," Journal of the academy of Marketing Science, Vol.24, No.3, pp.246-256, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070396243005
- O. Svenson and A. J. Maule, Time pressure and stress in human judgment and decision making, New York: Plenum Publishing Corporation, 1993.
- P. A. Pavlou and D. Gefen, "Building effective online marketplaces with institution-based trust," Information systems research, Vol.15, No.1, pp.37-59, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1040.0015
- M. F. Luce, "Choosing to avoid: Coping with negatively emotion-laden consumer decisions," Journal of consumer research, Vol.24, No.4, pp.409-433, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1086/209518
- S. Ram, "A model of innovation resistance," NA-Advances in Consumer Research, Vol.14, pp.208-212, 1987.
- D. M. Webster and A. W. Kruglanski, "Individual differences in need for cognitive closure," Journal of personality and social psychology, Vol.67, No.6, pp.1049-1062, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2069
- D. Andrews, "The interplay of information diagnosticity and need for cognitive closure in determining choice confidence," Psychology & Marketing, Vol.30, No.9, pp.749-764, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20643
- R. Kivetz and I. Simonson, "Earning the right to indulge: Effort as a determinant of customer preferences toward frequency program rewards," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.39, No.2, pp.155-170, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.220.127.116.1184
- 김남희, 천성용, 이은재, "지각된 위험과 인지종결 욕구가 가격 비교 사이트의 최저 가격 제품 구매의도에 미치는 영향," e-비즈니스연구, 제15권, 제6호, pp.145-165, 2014.
- 이성수, "구매 시 지각된 위험과 정보탐색의 관계에서 소비자 자기효능감과 인지적 종결욕구의 역할," 한국심리학회 학술대회 자료집, pp.378-379, 2008.
- C. G. Kim, "The Impact of Knowledge Level and Need for Closure and on Overall Evaluations: Considering the Moderating Role of Situational Severity," Korea Knowledge Management Research, Vol.10, No.4, pp.115-131, 2009.
- D. C. Houghton and R. Grewal, "Please, Let's Get an Answer. Any Answer: Need for Consumer Cognitive Closure," Psychology and Marketing, Vol.17, No.11, pp.911-934, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1002/1520-6793(200011)17:11<911::AID-MAR1>3.0.CO;2-4
- R. Dhar and S. M. Nowlis, "The effect of time pressure on consumer choice deferral," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.25, No.4, pp.369-384, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1086/209545
- J. F. Hair, R. E. Anderson, R. L. Tatham, and W. C. Black, Multivariate data analysis with readings (fifth ed.), NY: Macmillan, 1998.
- T. J. Hess, M. Fuller, and D. E. Campbell, "Designing interfaces with social presence: Using vividness and extraversion to create social recommendation agents," Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Vol.10, No.12, pp.889-919, 2009. https://doi.org/10.17705/1jais.00216
- D. Gefen, D. Straub, and M. C. Boudreau, "Structural equation modeling and regression: Guidelines for research practice," Communications of the Association for Information Systems, Vol.4, No.1, pp.1-77, 2000.
- C. Fornell and D. F. Larcker, "Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.18, No.1, pp.39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- W. W. Chin, B. L. Marcolin, and P. R. Newsted, "A partial least squares latent variable modeling approach for measuring interaction effects: Results from a Monte Carlo simulation study and voice mail emotion/adoption study," Information Systems Research, Vol.14, No.2, pp.189-217, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.18.104.22.16818
- S. Akter, J. D'Ambra, and P. Ray, "Trustworthiness in m-Health information services: an assessment of a hierarchical model with mediating and moderating effects using partial least squares (PLS)," Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, Vol.62, No.1, pp.100-116, 2011.
- W. W. Chin, How to write up and report PLS analyses, In Handbook of Partial Least Squares: Concepts, Methods and Application. Esposito Vinzi, V.; Chin, W.W.; Henseler, J.; Wang, H. (Eds.), Springer, Germany, pp.645-689, 2010.
- K. K. Kim, N. S. Umanath, J. Y. Kim, F. Ahrens, and B. S. Kim, "Knowledge complementarity and knowledge exchange in supply channel relationships," International Journal of Information Management, Vol.32, No.1, pp.35-49, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2011.05.002