- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Scolopendra Pharmacopuncture Ameliorates Behavioral Despair in Mice Stressed by Chronic Restraint
- Choi, Yu-Jin (Department of Clinical Korean Medicine, Graduate School, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Lee, Hwa-Young (Department of Neuropsychiatry, College of Korean Medicine, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Kim, Yunna (Department of Clinical Korean Medicine, Graduate School, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Cho, Seung-Hun (Department of Neuropsychiatry, College of Korean Medicine, Kyung Hee University)
- 투고 : 2017.09.25
- 심사 : 2017.11.08
- 발행 : 2017.12.31
Introduction: Pharmacopuncture, which combines acupuncture with herbal medicine, is one of the newly developed acupuncture techniques that has recently been put into use. The possible mechanisms of scolopendra pharmacopuncture, as well as its potential effects on depressive symptoms, were investigated in this study by using a mouse model of chronic immobilization stress (CIS). Methods: C57BL/6 male mice were randomly assigned into three groups: mice not stressed with restraint and injected with distilled water, mice stressed with restraint and injected with distilled water, and mice stressed with restraint injected with scolopendra pharmacopuncture at a cervical site. Behavioral tests (an open field test, tail suspension test, and forced swimming test) were carried out after two weeks of CIS and injection treatments. The expression levels of glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) in the hippocampus were determined by using western blot and immunohistochemistry analyses. Results: Mice exposed to CIS showed decreased behavioral activity, while scolopendra pharmacopuncture treatment significantly protected against the depressive-like behaviors induced by CIS. Moreover, scolopendra pharmacopuncture treatment increased GFAP protein levels in the hippocampi of the mice stressed by chronic immobilization. Conclusion: Scolopendra pharmacopuncture has an ameliorating effect on depressive behavior, which is partially mediated through protection against glial loss in the hippocampus.
depression;glial fibrillary acidic protein;pharmacopuncture;Scolopendra;Scolopendra pharmacopuncture
연구 과제 주관 기관 : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Kessler RC, Berglund P, Demler O, Jin R, Koretz D, Merikangas KR, et al. The epidemiology of major depressive disorder: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication (NCS-R). JAMA. 2003;289(23):3095-105. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.289.23.3095
- Fava M, Kendler KS. Major Depressive Disorder. Neuron. 2000;28(2):335-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0896-6273(00)00112-4
- Leo RJ, Ligot JS. A systematic review of randomized controlled trials of acupuncture in the treatment of depression. J Affect Disord. 2007;97(1):13-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2006.06.012
- Smith CA, Hay PP, MacPherson H. Acupuncture for depression. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;(1):Cd004046.
- Sarris J, Panossian A, Schweitzer I, Stough C, Scholey A. Herbal medicine for depression, anxiety and insomnia: a review of psychopharmacology and clinical evidence. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2011;21(12):841-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euroneuro.2011.04.002
- Ng QX, Venkatanarayanan N, Ho CY. Clinical use of Hypericum perforatum (St John's wort) in depression: A meta-analysis. J Affect Disord. 2017;210:211-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2016.12.048
- Litscher G. High-tech laser acupuncture is Chinese medicine. Med Acupunct. 2008;20(4):245-54. https://doi.org/10.1089/acu.2008.0643
- Litscher D, Litscher G, Kang DI. Korean pharmacopuncture meets austrian high-tech acupuncture-A short review article including a bibliometric analysis of pharmacopuncture over the last 15 years-pharmacopuncture and Europe. J Pharmacopuncture. 2013;16(1):7.
- Lee YJ, Shin JS, Lee J, Kim MR, Park KB, Lee HD, et al. Usage report of pharmacopuncture in musculoskeletal patients visiting Korean medicine hospitals and clinics in Korea. BMC complementary and alternative medicine. 2016;16(1):292. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-016-1288-5
- Choi MJ, Kim KN, Lee JE, Suh JW, Kim SC, Kwon KR, et al. Effects of Sumsu (bufonis venenum) pharmacopuncture treatment on depression in mice. J Pharmacopuncture. 2014;17(2):27-33.
- Seo DK, Shin SY, Kim SY, Seo JC, Seo YJ, Park JH, et al. Clinical Research of the Effects of Sumsu (Bufonis venenum) Pharmacopuncture on Insomnia and Depression in Patients with Sleep Disorder. The Acupuncture. 2015;32(3):175-83. https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2015049
- Kim SC. The analysis of present condition and the method of medical treatment studies on Scolopendrid Herbal Acupuncture. J Pharmacopuncture. 2006;9(2):113-27. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2006.9.2.113
- Fishbain D. Evidence-based data on pain relief with antidepressants. Ann Med. 2000;32(5):305-16. https://doi.org/10.3109/07853890008995932
- Cho G, Han K, Yoon J. Stability Test and Quantitative and Qualitative Analyses of the Amino Acids in Pharmacopuncture Extracted from Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans. J Pharmacopuncture. 2015;18(1):44-55. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2015.18.005
- Vyas A, Mitra R, Rao BS, Chattarji S. Chronic stress induces contrasting patterns of dendritic remodeling in hippocampal and amygdaloid neurons. J Neurosci. 2002;22(15):6810-8. https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.22-15-06810.2002
- Roozendaal B, McEwen BS, Chattarji S. Stress, memory and the amygdala. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2009;10(6):423.
- Wanasuntronwong A, Tantisira MH, Tantisira B, Watanabe H. Anxiolytic effects of standardized extract of Centella asiatica (ECa 233) after chronic immobilization stress in mice. J Ethnopharmacol. 2012;143(2):579-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2012.07.010
- Kim JH, Choi KH, Jang YJ, Bae SS, Shin BC, Choi BT, et al. Electroacupuncture acutely improves cerebral blood flow and attenuates moderate ischemic injury via an endothelial mechanism in mice. PLoS One. 2013;8(2):e56736. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0056736
- Seibenhener ML, Wooten MC. Use of the Open Field Maze to measure locomotor and anxiety-like behavior in mice. J Vis Exp. 2015;(96).
- Steru L, Chermat R, Thierry B, Simon P. The tail suspension test: a new method for screening antidepressants in mice. Psychopharmacology. 1985;85(3):367-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00428203
- Can A, Dao DT, Arad M, Terrillion CE, Piantadosi SC, Gould TD. The mouse forced swim test. J Vis Exp. 2012;(59).
- Rial D, Lemos C, Pinheiro H, Duarte JM, Gonçalves FQ, Real JI, et al. Depression as a glial-based synaptic dysfunction. Front Cell Neurosci. 2015;9.
- Schroeter ML, Abdul-Khaliq H, Sacher J, Steiner J, Blasig IE, Mueller K. Mood disorders are glial disorders: evidence from in vivo studies. Cardiovasc Psychiatry Neurol. 2010;2010.
- Cobb JA, O’Neill K, Milner J, Mahajan GJ, Lawrence TJ, May WL, et al. Density of GFAP-immunoreactive astrocytes is decreased in left hippocampi in major depressive disorder. Neuroscience. 2016;316:209-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroscience.2015.12.044
- Li L-F, Yang J, Ma S-P, Qu R. Magnolol treatment reversed the glial pathology in an unpredictable chronic mild stress-induced rat model of depression. Eur J Pharmacol. 2013;711(1):42-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2013.04.008
- Liu Q, Li B, Zhu HY, Wang YQ, Yu J, Wu GC. Glia atrophy in the hippocampus of chronic unpredictable stress-induced depression model rats is reversed by electroacupuncture treatment. J Affect Disord. 2011;128(3):309-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2010.07.007
- Liu Q, Li B, Zhu H-Y, Wang Y-Q, Yu J, Wu G-C. Clomipramine treatment reversed the glial pathology in a chronic unpredictable stress-induced rat model of depression. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2009;19(11):796-805. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euroneuro.2009.06.010
- Lee KH, Cho YY, Kim SC, Sun SH. History of Research on Pharmacopuncture in Korea. J Pharmacopuncture. 2016;19(2):101. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2016.19.010
- Lee CW, Kim JW, Cho JH, Lee SY. A case report of the postpartum depression with Hominis Placenta Herbal acupuncture therapy. J Orient Obstet Gynecol. 2006;19(2):282-94.
- Je J, Lee S. The Clinical pilot study of Hwangryunhaedok- tang Pharmacopuncture therapy on Post-stroke depression. J Pharmacopuncture. 2010;13(2):67-73. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2010.13.2.067
- Kim SW, Kim JH, Cho MR, Shin JC. The Effect of Poria Cocos Pharmacopuncture at SP6(Sameumgyo) and ST36(Joksamni) on Chronic Stress Model(CSM) Rats. The Acupuncture. 2015;32(2):187-95.
- Xiaohong L, Cui H, Lufen Z. Effect of moxibustion or acupuncture in Dazhui (GV14) on behavior and hypothalamic AVP level in rats with chronic stress disturbance. Journal of beijing university of traditional chinese medicine. 2005;28(6):47.
- Xu S, Li S, Shen X, Meng X, Lao L. Effects of electroacupuncture on depression in a rat model. Acupunct Electrother Res. 2011;36(3-4):259-73. https://doi.org/10.3727/036012911803634166
- Jiang J, Xu L, Lin Y, Lu J, Chen L, Sun Y. Anti-depression effect of acupuncture and moxibustion based on SSRIs medication. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2012;32(3):219-23.
- Sun P, Chu H, Li P, Wang T, Pu F, Wu J, et al. The effect of the acupuncture intervention of dredging Governor Vessel and regulating mentality for the medication treatment of post-stroke depression. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2015;35(8):753-7.
- Gomes A, Datta A, Sarangi B, Kar P, Lahiri S. Isolation, purification & pharmacodynamics of a toxin from the venom of the centipede Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani Brandt. Indian J Exp Biol. 1983;21(4):203-7.
- Li C, Ji BU, Lee JE, Park MY, Kim S, Kim ST, et al. Inhibitory effects of scolopendra Pharmacopuncture on the development and maintenance of neuropathic pain in Rats: possible involvement of spinal glial cells. J Acupunct Meridian Stud. 2015;8(5):236-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jams.2015.01.001