- Volume 29 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Biodegradability of Polylactic Acid Fabrics by Enzyme Hydrolysis and Soil Degradation
- Lee, So Hee (Department of Clothing and Textiles, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2017.11.16
- Accepted : 2017.12.18
- Published : 2017.12.27
The biodegradability of polylactic acid(PLA) fabrics was evaluated by two methods: enzyme and soil degradation. Three different enzymes were selected to evaluate. Degradation times were measured at optimal enzyme treatment conditions. Biodegradation by enzymatic hydrolysis was compared with soil degradation. As a result, biodegradation created cracks on the fiber surface, which led to fiber thickening and shortening. In addition, new peak was observed at
Supported by : Gyeongsang National University
- L. Averous, "Monomers, Polymers and Composites from Renewable Resources", Elsevier, Oxford, Vol. 21, pp.433-450, 2000.
- R. E. Drumright, P. R. Gruber, and D. E. Henton, Polylactic Acid Technology, Advanced Materials, 12, 1841(2000). https://doi.org/10.1002/1521-4095(200012)12:23<1841::AID-ADMA1841>3.0.CO;2-E
- D. W. Farrington, J. Lunt, S. Davies, and R. S. Blackburn, "Biodegradable and Sustainable Fibres", Wood-head Publishing Limited, Cambridge, Vol. 6, pp.191-218, 2005.
- S. H. Lee and W. S. Song, Hydrolysis of Polylactic Acid Fiber by Lipase from Porcine Pancreas, J. of Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 35, 670(2011). https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2011.35.6.670
- G. Li, P. Sarazin, W. J. Orts, S. H. Imam, and B. D. Favis, Biodegradation of Thermoplastic Starch and its Blends with Poly(lactic acid) and Polyethylene: Lnfluence of Morphology, Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, 212, 1147(2011). https://doi.org/10.1002/macp.201100090
- J. Lunt, Large-scale Production, Properties and Commercial Applications of Polylactic Acid Polymers, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 59, 145(1998). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-3910(97)00148-1
- S. H. Lee and W. S. Song, Enzymatic Hydrolysis of Polylactic Acid Fiber, Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 64, 89(2011).
- K. Sawada, H. Urakawa, and M. Ueda, Modification of Polylactic Acid Fiber with Enzymatic Treatment, Textile Research J., 77, 901(2007). https://doi.org/10.1177/0040517507082331
- K. Oksman, M. Skrifvars, and J. F. Selin, Natural Fibres as Reinforcement in Polylactic Acid(PLA) Composites, Composite Science and Technology, 63, 1317(2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(03)00103-9
- S. H. Lee and W. S. Song, Modification of Polylactic Acid Fabric by Two Lipolytic Enzyme Hydrolysis, Textile Research J., 83, 229(2013). https://doi.org/10.1177/0040517512458345
- S. H. Lee and W. S. Song, Effect of Enzymatic Hydrolysis on Polylactic Acid Fabrics by Lipases from Different Origins, J. of Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 36, 653(2012). https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2012.36.6.653
- K. I. Park and M. Xanthos, A Study on the Degradation of Polylactic Acid in the Presence of Phosphonium Ionic Liquids, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 94, 834 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2009.01.030
- A. Steinb-chel, "Biopolymers: Biology, Chemistry, Biotechnology, Applications", Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2002.
- N. Reddy, D. Nama, and Y. Yang, Polylactic Acid/polypropylene Polyblend Fibers for Better Resistance to Degradation, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 93, 233(2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2007.09.005
- Y. Yang and S. Huda, Dyeing Conditions and their Effects on Mechanical Properties of Polylactide Fabric, AATCC Review, 3, 56(2003).
- D. Karst, D. Nama, and Y. Yang, Effect of Disperse Dye Structure on Dye Sorption onto PLA Fiber, J. of Colloid and Interface Science, 310, 106(2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2007.01.037
- D. Karst and Y. Yang, Molecular Modeling Study of the Resistance of PLA to Hydrolysis based on the Blending of PLLA and PDLA, Polymer, 47, 4845(2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2006.05.002
- D. Karst and Y. Yang, Using the Solubility Parameter to Explain Disperse Dye Sorption on Polylactide, J. of Applied Polymer Science, 96, 416(2005). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.21456
- D. Mayumi, Y. Akutsu-Shigeno, H. Uchiyama, N. Nomura, and T. Nakajima-Kambe, Identification and Dharacterization of Novel Poly(DL-lactic acid) Depolymerases from Metagenome, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 79, 743(2008). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-008-1477-3
- Y. Tokiwa and A. Jarerat, Biodegradation of Poly(L-lactide), Biotechnology Letters, 26, 771(2004). https://doi.org/10.1023/B:BILE.0000025927.31028.e3
- D. H. Jung, "Enzymology", Daegwangseolim, Seoul, 2003.
- S. Li, Hydrolytic Degradation Characteristics of Aliphatic Polyesters Derived from Lactic and Glycolic Acids, J. of Biomedical Materials Research, 48, 342(1999). https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4636(1999)48:3<342::AID-JBM20>3.0.CO;2-7
- S.J. Holland, B.J. Tighe, and P. L. Gould, Polymers for Biodegradable Medical Devices 1.The Potential of Polyesters as Controlled Macromolecular Release Systems, J. of Controlled Release, 4, 155(1986). https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-3659(86)90001-5
- M. Vert, S. Li, G. Spenlehauer, and P. Guerin, Bioresorbability and Biocompatibility of Aliphatic Polyesters, J. of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, 3, 432(1992). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00701240
- S. Li and M. Vert, "Biodegradation of Aliphatic Polyesters", Chapman and Hall, London, pp.43-87, 1995.
- N. Lucas, C. Belloy, M. Queneudec, F. Silvestre, and J. Nava-Saucedo, Polymer Biodegradation: Mechanisms and Estimation Techniques, Chemosphere, 73, 429 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2008.06.064
- A. A. Shah, F. Hasan, A. Hameed, and S. Ahmed, Biological Degradation of Plastics: A Comprehensive Review, Biotechnology Advances, 26, 246(2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biotechadv.2007.12.005
- S. H. Lee, Evaulation of Enzymatic Treatments and Biodegradability of PLA, Ph.D. Thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, 2011.
- S. J. Kadolph, "Textiles", Pearson Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 2007.
- M. F. Gonzalez, R. A. Ruseckaite, and T. R. Cuadrado, Structural Changes of Polylactic-acid(PLA) Microspheres under Hydrolytic Degradation, J. of Applied Polymer Science, 71, 1223(1999). https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4628(19990222)71:8<1223::AID-APP2>3.0.CO;2-I
- A. Zhang, X. Wang,J. Gong, and Z. Gu, A Study on the Biodegradability of Polyethylene Terephthalate Fiber and Dethylene Glycol Terephthalate, J. of Applied Polymer Science, 93, 1089(2004). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.20556
- J. H. Walsh, Ecological Considerations of Biodeterioration, International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, 48, 16(2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0964-8305(01)00063-4
- V. T. Santana, S. P. C. Concalves,J. A. M. Agnelli, and S. M. Martins-Franchetti, Biodegradation of a Polylactic Acid/polyvinyl Chloride Blend in Soil, J. of Applied Polymer Science, 125, 536(2012). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.35685
- L. K. Chiu, W.J. Chiu, and Y. L. Cheng, Effect of Polymer Degradation on Drug Release a Mechanistic Study of Morphology and Transport Properties in 50:50 Poly(dl-lactideco-glycolide), International J. of Pharmaceutics, 125, 169(1995).
- Y. Tokiwa and B. P. Calabia, Biodegradability and Biodegradation of Poly(lactide), Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 72, 244(2006). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-006-0488-1
- K. G. Ho, A. L. Pometto III, and P. N. Hinz, Effects of Temperature and Relative Humidity on Polylactic Acid Plastic Degradation, J. of Environmental Polymer Degradation, 7, 83(1999). https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021808317416
- R. T. MacDonald, S. P. McCarthy, and R. A. Gross, Enzymatic Degradability of Poly(lactide): Effects of Chain Stereochemistry and Material Crystallinity, Macromolecules, 29, 7356(1996). https://doi.org/10.1021/ma960513j
- E. Namkung, C.J. Tak, and J.C.Chung, Biodegradation of Plastic, J. of Korea Organic Waste Recycling Council, 2, 185(1994).
- M. S. Reeve, S. P. McCarthy, M. J. Downey, and R. A. Gross, Polylactide Stereochemistry: Effect on Enzymatic Degradability, Macromolecules, 27, 825(1994). https://doi.org/10.1021/ma00081a030
- K. E. Ryue and Y. B. Kim, Biodegradation of Polymer,Polymer Science and Technology, 9, 464(1998).
- H. Tsuji and Y. Ikada, Enzymatic Hydrolysis of Polylactides,Effects ofMolecularWeight, L-lactideContent,and Enantiomeric and Diastereoisomeric PolymerBlending, J. of Applied Polymer Science, 63, 855(1997). https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4628(19970214)63:7<855::AID-APP5>3.0.CO;2-P
- E. S. Yoo and S. S. Im, Effect of Structural Parameteson Biodegradable Properties of Environmental Biodegradable Polymers, Polymer Science and Technology,10, 224(1999).
- Y. K. Kang and J. H. Park, Effect of Environmental Conditionson the Biodegradation of Cellulose Fibers -Effectof Humidity in Soil-, J. of Korean Society of Clothingand Textiles, 29, 1027(2005).
- W. S. Song, I. Y. Kim, and H. R. Kim, “Textiles”, Kyomoonsa,Seoul, 2010.