- Volume 29 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Investigation of Applicability of OpenFOAM for Regular Wave Modeling of Floating Vertical Plate
부유식 연직판의 규칙파 모델링을 위한 오픈폼 적용성 검토
- Oh, Sang-Ho (Coastal Engineering Division, Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Gunwoo (Department of Ocean Civil & Plant Construction Engineering, Mokpo National Maritime University)
- Received : 2017.12.07
- Accepted : 2017.12.26
- Published : 2017.12.31
This study performed an OpenFOAM-based numerical modeling for simulating performance of wave reduction by a floating vertical plate. Based on the Waves2FOAM library, an internal wave generation and energy dissipation with sponge layers schemes were further implemented. The performance of wave generation and dissipation was first tested with a simple two-dimensional analysis. Then, numerical simulation was carried out with the experimental data of Briggs et al. (2001) for the two regular wave cases. In general, the modeling results agreed well with the experimental data, showing better agreement than the numerical analysis by WAMIT that is included in Briggs et al. (2001).
Supported by : 한국해양과학기술원
- Briggs, M.J. (2001). Performance characteristics of a rapidly installed breakwater system,. ERDC/CHL-TR-01-13, U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center, Vicksburg, MS.
- Briggs, M., Ye, W., Demirbilek, Z. and Zhang, J. (1999). Comparison of hydrodynamic parameters for a floating breakwater. Proceedings of First International Symposium on Monitoring of Breakwaters, 37-51.
- Chen, Y.L. and Hsiao, S.C. (2016). Generation of 3D water waves using mass source wavemaker applied to Navier-Stokes model. Coastal Engineering, 109, 76-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coastaleng.2015.11.011
- Fowler, J., Resio, D., Briggs, M. and Pollock, C. (1996). Potential Uses for the Rapidly Installed Breakwater System. Proceedings of 23rd International Conference on Coastal Engineering In Coastal Engineering, 1631-1639.
- Higuera, P., Lara, J.L. and Losada, I.J. (2013). Realistic wave generation and active wave absorption for Navier-Stokes models: Application to OpenFOAM(R), Coastal Engineering, 71, 102-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coastaleng.2012.07.002
- Higuera, P., Losada, I.J. and Lara, J.L. (2015). Three-dimensional numerical wave generation with moving boundaries. Coastal Engineering, 101, 35-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coastaleng.2015.04.003
- Jacobsen, N.G., Fuhrman, D.R. and Fredsoe, J. (2012). A wave generation toolbox for the open-source CFD library: Open-Foam(R). International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 70(9), 1073-1088. https://doi.org/10.1002/fld.2726
- Lee, K.H., Bae, J.H., An, S.W., Kim, D.S. and Bae, K.S. (2016). Numerical Analysis on Wave Characteristics around Submerged Breakwater in Wave and Current Coexisting Field by OLAFOAM. Journal of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, 28(6), 332-349. https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2016.28.6.332
- Lin, P. and Liu, P.L.F. (1999). Internal wave-maker for Navier-Stokes equations models. Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering, 125(4), 207-215. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-950X(1999)125:4(207)
- Willmott, C.J., Robeson, S.M. and Matsuura, K. (2012). A refined index of model performance. International Journal of Climatology, 32(13), 2088-2094. https://doi.org/10.1002/joc.2419