- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Mycelial growth of Lentinula edodes in response to different mixing time, pressure intensity, and substrate porosity
- Chang, Hyun You (Korea National College of Agricultural and Fisheries(KNCAF)) ;
- Seo, Geum Hui (Korea National College of Agricultural and Fisheries(KNCAF)) ;
- Lee, Yong Kuk (Korea National College of Agricultural and Fisheries(KNCAF)) ;
- Jeon, Sung Woo (Korea National College of Agricultural and Fisheries(KNCAF))
- Received : 2017.12.01
- Accepted : 2017.12.26
- Published : 2017.12.31
Biological efficiency (BE), the ratio of fresh mushrooms harvested per dry substrate weight, expressed as the percentage of Lentinula edodes, also known as shiitake, was determined using the 'Sanjo 701' strain stored in the Department of Mushroom at the Korea National College of Agriculture and Fisheries. The mycelia were grown in glass columns with varying levels of moisture content and varying mixing periods of 0.5, 1, 2, and 3 hours. The substrate was sterilized using a steam pressure autoclave sterilizer at normal and high pressure to avoid contamination. The results showed that mycelial growth (126 mm/15 days) was optimized at 55% moisture content. The best mycelial growth of 117 mm/15 days was obtained with 2 hours of mixing time. Normal pressure sterilization yielded better results with mycelial growth of 96 mm/15 days at
Lentinula edodes;Sawdust;Sterilization;Wood chip;Yield
Supported by : Korea Institute of Planning and Evaluation for Technology of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
- Bruhn J. 2008. Growing shiitake mushrooms in Agroforestry Practice. Agroforestry in Action, AF1010, 1-2.
- Chang ST, Chen M. 2003. History, actual situation and prospect of shiitake production. Edible Fungi. 23:2-4.
- Dion M and Parker W. 2013. Steam sterilization principles. Pharmaceutical Engin. 33:2-3.
- Gerard J. (n.d.). Does Mushroom Growing Medium Need to be Sterilized? Retrieved December 20, 2017, from Homeguides: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/mushroom-growingmedium-need-sterilized-55957.html
- Jang M. 2009. High Quality shiitake bag ciultivation technique development. (M. R. Institute, Ed.) Agricultural Technology Institute.
- Royce DD, Sanchez JE. 2007. Ground wheat straw as a substiture for portions of oak woodchips used in shiitake (Lentinula edodes) substrate formulae. Bioresour Technol. 98:2137-2141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2006.08.023
- Royse DJ. 2001. Influence of substrate wood-chip particle size on shiitake (Lentinula edodes) yield. Bioresour Technol. 76: 229-233 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(00)00110-3
- Royce DJ, Sanchez-Vasquez JE 2001. Influence of substrate woodchip particle size on shiitake (Lentinula edodes) yield. Bioresource Technol. 76:229-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(00)00110-3
- Royse DJ, Bahler BD, Bahler CC. 1990. Enhanced Yiled of shiitake by saccharine amendment of the synthetic substrate. Appl Environ Micorbiol. 56:479-482.