- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Mycelial response and ligninolytic enzyme production during interspecific interaction of wood-rotting fungi
- Lee, Kab-Yeon (Academic-Industrial Cooperation Organization, Sunchon National University) ;
- Park, Seur-Kee (Dept. of Plant Medicine, Sunchon National University) ;
- Park, In-Hyeop (Dept. of Forest Resources, Sunchon National University) ;
- Kim, Joon-Sun (Dept. of Forest Resources, Sunchon National University) ;
- Park, Moon-Su (Dept. of Forest Resources, Sunchon National University) ;
- Jung, Hyun-Chae (Dept. of Forest Resources, Sunchon National University)
- 투고 : 2017.11.16
- 심사 : 2017.12.18
- 발행 : 2017.12.31
To evaluate effects of ligninolytic enzyme type on the mycelial response and ligninolytic enzyme production during interspecific interactions among wood-rotting fungi, 4 fungal strains, Trichophyton rubrum LKY-7, Trichophyton rubrum LSK-27, Pycnoporus cinnabarinus, and Trichoderma viride, were selected. Regarding ligninolytic enzyme production, LKY-7 secreted laccase and manganese peroxidase (MnP), P. cinnabarinus secreted only laccase, and LSK-27 secreted only MnP in glucose-peptone medium, while T. viride did not produce any ligninolytic enzymes. In the co-culture of LKY-7 with P. cinnabarinus, the formation of aerial mycelium was observed and the enhancement of laccase activity owing to interspecific interaction appeared to be very low. In the co-culture of LKY-7 and P. cinnabarinus with LSK-27, a hypha-free clear zone was observed, which resulted in deadlock, and increased laccase or MnP activity was detected at the interaction zone. The interaction responses of LKY-7, P. cinnabarinus, and LSK-27 with T. viride were characterized by the formation of mycelial barrages along the interface. As mycelial barrages were observed at the T. viride territory and no brownish pigment was observed in the mycelial barrages, it is suggested that laccase and MnP are released as part of an offensive response, not as a defensive response. The co-culture of P. cinnabarinus with T. viride lead to the highest enhancement in laccase activity, yielding more than 14-fold increase in laccase activity with respect to the mono-culture of P. cinnabarinus. MnP activities secreted by LKY-7 or LSK-27 was generally low in interspecific interactions.
Aerial mycelium;Deadlock;Interspecific interaction;Ligninolytic enzyme
- Ariebi NE, Hiscox J, Scriven SA, Muller CT, Boddy L. 2016. Production and effect volatile organic compounds during interspecific interactions. Fungal Ecol. 20:144-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.funeco.2015.12.013
- Baldrian P. 2004. Increase of laccase activity during interspecific interactions of white-rot fungi. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 50:245-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.femsec.2004.07.005
- Bermek H, Yazici H, Ozturk H, Tamerler C, Jung HC, Li K, Brown KM, Ding H, Xu F. 2004. Purification and characterization of manganese peroxidase from wood-degrading fungus Trichophyton rubrum LSK-27. Enzyme Microbiol Technol. 35:87-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enzmictec.2004.04.004
- Boddy L. 2000. Interspecific combative interactions between wood-decaying basidiomycetes. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 31:185-194. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6941.2000.tb00683.x
- Chi Y, Hatakka A, Maijala P. 2007. Can co-culturing of two white-rot fungi increase lignin degradation and the production of lignin-degrading enzymes ? Int Biodeterior Biodegrad. 59: 32-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibiod.2006.06.025
- Eggert C, Temp U, Eriksson K-EL. 1996. The ligninolytic system of the white rot fungus Pycnoporus cinnabarinus : purificaion and characterization of the laccase. Appl Environ Microbiol. 62:1151-1158.
- Esser K and Blaich R. 1994. The Mycota I : Growth, differentiation and sexuality ; heterogenic incompatibility in fungi. Springer Berlin Hedelberg : Springer e-books, pp 216-332.
- Ewen RJ, Jones PRH, Ratcliffe NM, Spencer PTN. 2004. Identification by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry of the volatile organic compounds emitted from the wood-rotting fungi Serpula lacrymans and Coniophora puteana, and from Pinus sylvestris timber. Mycol Res. 108:806-814. https://doi.org/10.1017/S095375620400022X
- Gochev VK, Krastanov AI. 2007. Isolation laccase producing Trichoderma spp. Bulgarian J Agri Sci. 13:171-176.
- Gutierrez-Correa, M, Tengerdy, RP. 1997. Production of cellulase on sugar cane bagasse by fungal mixed culture solid substrate fermentation. Biotechnol Lett. 19:665-667. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1018342916095
- Hiscox J, Balddrian P, Rogers HJ, Boddy L. 2010. Changes in oxidative enzyme activity during interspecific mycelial interactions involving the white-rot fungus Trametes versicolor. Fungal genetics and Biol. 47:562-571. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fgb.2010.03.007
- Holker U, Dohse J, Hoefer M. 2002. Extracellular laccases in ascomycetes Trichoderma atroviride and Trichoderma harzianum. Folia Microbiol. 47:423-437. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02818702
- Humpris SN, Bruce A, Buultjens E, Wheatley RE. 2002 The effects of volatile microbiol secondary metabolites on protein synthesis in Serpula lacrymans. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 210:215-219. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6968.2002.tb11183.x
- Iakovlev A, Stenlid J. 2000. Spatiotemporal patterns of laccase activity in interacting mycelia of wood-decaying basiodiomycete fungi. Microb Ecol. 39:236-245.
- Jung HC, Feng X, Li K. 2002. Purification and characterization of laccase from wood-degrading fungus Trichophyton rubrum LKY-7. Enzyme Microb Technol. 30:161-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0229(01)00485-9
- Koroleva OV, Stepanova EV, Gavrilova VP, Yakovleva NS, Landesman EO, Yavmetdinov IS, Yaropolov AI. 2002. Laccase and Mn-peroxidase production by Coriolus hirsutus strain 075 in a jar fermentor. J Biosci Bioeng. 93:449-455. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1389-1723(02)80091-3
- Lakshmanan D, Sadasivan C. 2016. Trichoderma viride laccase plays a crucial role in defense mechanism against antagonistic organisms. Frontiers Mycrobiol. 7:1-5.
- Martinez, MJ, Ruiz-Duenńas, FJ, Guillen, F, Marinez, A.T. 1996. Purification and catalytic properties two manganese peroxidase isoenzymes from Pleurotus eryngii. Eur J Biochem. 237:424-432. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1996.0424k.x
- Peiris D, Dunn WB, Brown M, Kell DB, Roy I, Hedder JN. 2008. Metabolite profiles of interacting mycelial fronts differ for pairings of wood decay basidiomycete fungus, Stereum hirsutum with its competitors Coprinus micaceus and Coprinus disseminatus. Metabolomics. 4:52-62. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11306-007-0100-4
- Rayner ADM, Griffith GS, Wildman HG. 1994. Induction of metabolic and morphogenesis changes during mycelial interactions among species of higher fungi. Biochem Soc Trans. 22:389-395. https://doi.org/10.1042/bst0220389
- Savoie JM and Mata G. 1999. The antagonistic action of Trichoderma sp. hyphae to Lentinula edodes hyphae changes lignocellulolytic activities during cultivation in wheat straw. World J Microbiol Biotechnol. 15:369-373. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008979701853
- Savoie JM, Mata G, Mamoun M. 2001(b). Variability in brown line formation and exracellular laccase production during interaction between basidiomycetes and Trichoderma harzianum biotype Yh2. Mycologia 93:243-248. https://doi.org/10.2307/3761644
- Score AJ, Palfreyman JW, White NA. 1997. Extracellular phenoloxidase and peroxidase enzyme production during interspecific fungal interactions. Int Biodeterior Biodegrad. 39:225-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0964-8305(97)00012-7
- Ujor VC, Monti M, Peiris DG, Clements MO, Hedger JN. 2012. The mycelial response of the white-rot fungus, Schizophyllum commune to the biological agent, Trichoderma viride. Fungal Biol. 116:332-341. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.funbio.2011.12.008
- Velazquez-Cedeiio MA, Farnet AM, Ferre E. 2004. Variations of lignocellulosic activities in dual cultures of Pleurotus ostreatus and Trichoderma longibrachiatum on unsterilized wheat straw. Mycologia. 96:712-719. https://doi.org/10.1080/15572536.2005.11832919
- Wheatly R, Hackett C. 1997. Effect of substrate composition on production of volatile organic compounds from Trichoderma spp. Inhibitory to wood decay fungi. Int Biodeterior Biodegrad. 39:199-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0964-8305(97)00015-2
- White NA, Boddy L. 1992. Extracellular enzyme localization during interspecific fungal interactions. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 98:75-79. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6968.1992.tb05493.x
- Zhang H, Hong YZ, Xiao YZ, Yuan J, Tu XM, Zhang XQ. 2006 Efficient production of laccase by Trametes sp. AH28-2 in co-cultivation with a Trichoderma strain. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 73:89-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-006-0430-6