- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of dietary supplementation with fermented spent mushroom substrates of the winter mushroom (Flammulina velutipes) on growth performance, carcass traits, and economic characteristics of Hanwoo steers
발효 팽이버섯 수확후배지의 급여 수준이 한우 거세우의 비육과 도체성적 및 경제성 분석에 미치는 영향
- Moon, Yea-Hwang (Department of Animal Science & Biotechnology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Cho, Woong-Ki (Division of Applied Life Science(Institute of Agriculture & Life Science), BK21 plus, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Jung (Department of Animal Science & Biotechnology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Ji-Eun (Department of Animal Science & Biotechnology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Bo-Ram (Department of Animal Science & Biotechnology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Hye-Soo (Department of Pharmaceutical Engineering, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Cho, Soo-Jeong (Department of Pharmaceutical Engineering, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- 문여황 (경남과학기술대학교 동물생명과학과) ;
- 조웅기 (경상대학교 응용생명과학부(BK21 plus)) ;
- 김현정 (경남과학기술대학교 동물생명과학과) ;
- 김지은 (경남과학기술대학교 동물생명과학과) ;
- 김보람 (경남과학기술대학교 동물생명과학과) ;
- 김혜수 (경남과학기술대학교 제약공학과) ;
- 조수정 (경남과학기술대학교 제약공학과)
- Received : 2017.11.24
- Accepted : 2017.12.22
- Published : 2017.12.31
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of fermented spent mushroom substrates (F-SMS) of Flammulina velutipes on growth performance, carcass traits, and economic characteristics of Hanwoo steers. A yeast strain (Saccharomyces sp. UJ14) and Bacillus strain (Bacillus sp. UJ03) isolated from fresh spent mushroom substrates of Flammulina velutipes were used as probiotics to prepare F-SMS. Twenty-four Hanwoo steers (14 months old) were allocated to three dietary treatments via a randomized block design and were slaughtered at 30 months of age. These treatment groups included Control (TMR), T1 (TMR containing 10% of F-SMS) group, and T2 (TMR containing 30% of F-SMS). Body weight gain was not influenced by the experimental diets. DM and TDN intakes in the finishing period were significantly (p < 0.05) greater in group T1 than in other groups. CP intake was significantly (p < 0.05) greater in group T2 than in other groups during the whole experimental period. Among carcass traits, rib-eye area and back fat thickness tended to increase with F-SMS supplementation. The appearance rate (%) of a meat yield more than grade A was the highest in group T1. The net profits increased by 1.2% and 13.3% in groups T1 and T2, respectively. In conclusion, if a proper feeding program (including feed safety) can be ensured, spent mushroom substrates of Flammulina velutipes can prove to be a highly profitable feed source for Hanwoo steers.
Carcass trait;Flammulina velutipes;Hanwoo;Spent mushroom substrate;Winter mushroom
Supported by : 경남과학기술대학교
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analytical chemists, Washington DC, USA.
- Adamovic M, Grubi G, Milenkovic I, Jovanovi R, Proti R, Sretenovi L, Stoievi L. 1998. The biodegradation of wheat straw by pleurotus ostreatus mushrooms and its use in cattle feeding. Anim Feed Sci Technol. 71:357-362. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(97)00150-8
- Bae JS, Kim YI, Jung SH, Oh YG, Kwak WS. 2006. Evaluation on feed-nutritional value of spent mushroom(Pleurotus osteratus, Pleurotus eryngii, Flammulina velutupes) substrates as a roughage source for ruminants. J Anim Sci & Technol. 48:237-246. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2006.48.2.237
- Caswell LE. 1990. Fungal additives. Feed manage. 41:9-13.
- Cheng JC, Jhune CS, Lee CJ, Oh JA. 2010. Physico-chemical characteristics and utilization of raw materials for Mushroom Substrates. Kor J Mycol. 38:136-141 https://doi.org/10.4489/KJM.2010.38.2.136
- Dikeman ME, Cundiff LV, Gregory KE, Kemp KE, Koch RM. 1998. Relative contributions of subcutaneous and intermuscular fat to yields and predictability of retail product, fat trim, and bone in beef carcasses. J Anim Sci. 76:1604-1612. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.7661604x
- Gal SW, Moon Yh, Cho SJ. 2011. Effect of the dietary supplemention of fermented spent mushroom(Pleuroutus eryngii) substrates on the growth performance and carcass characteistics in Hanwoo steers. J Mushrooms. 21:1705-1709.
- KAPE(Korea institute for animal products quality evaluation). 2012. Animal products grading statistical yearbook. Korea. pp. 24.
- KAPE(Korea institute for animal products quality evaluation). 2016. Animal products grading statistics. http://www.ekapepia.com/194.su(2017.07.29).
- Kim YI, Lee YH, Kim KH, Oh YK, Moon YH. 2012. Effects of Supplementing Microbially-fermented Spent Mushroom Substrates on Growth Performance and Carcass Characteristics of Hanwoo Steers (a Field Study). Asian-Aust J Anim Sci. 25:1575-1581 https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12251
- Kwak WS, Jung SH, Kim YI. 2008. Broiler litter supplementation improves storage and feed-nutritional value of sawdust-based spent mushroom substrate. Bioresour technol. 99:2947-2955. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.06.021
- Lee JY, Lee JK, Kim JB. 2016. Relation ship of major carcass grading traits with the related retail cut productivity traits in Hanwoo steers. J Agri Life Sci. 50:99-111.
- Lee SM, Hwang JH, Yoon YB, Kwak WS, Kim YI, Moon SH, Jeon BT. 2008. Effect of spent mushroom substrates addition on eating behavior of growing Hanwoo. J Kor Grassl Forage Sci. 28:107-118. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2008.28.2.107
- Lee WS, Lee BS, Oh YG, Kim GH, Kang SW, Lee SS, Ha JG. 2004. Effects of concentrate to roughage ratio on duration and frequencies of rumination and chewing in Hanwoo Steers. J Anim Sci. 46:55-60.
- MAFRA(Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs). 2013. Production of special crops. p. 62.
- Moon YH, Shin PG, Cho SJ. 2012. Feeding value of spent mushroom(Pleurotus eryngii) substrate. J Mushrooms. 10:236-243.
- Moon YH, Kim HS, Kim CH, Cho WG, Yoo YB, Shin PG, Cho SJ. 2015. Effect of dietary supplementation of fermented spent mushroom substrates from pleurotus eryngii on Hanwoo steers. J Mushrooms. 13:108-113. https://doi.org/10.14480/JM.2015.13.2.108
- Moon YH, Kim SC, Cho WG, Lee SS, Cho SJ. 2014. Effects of supplementation of spent mushroom(Flammulina velutipes) substrates on the fermentative quality of rye silage. J mushrooms. 12:138-143 https://doi.org/10.14480/JM.2014.12.2.138
- NIAS(National institute of animal science). 2012. Korean feeding standard for Hanwoo. RDA. pp. 21-22.
- Okine EK, Mathison GW. 1991. Effects of feed intake on particle distribution, passage of digesta and extent of digestion in the gastrointestinal of cattle. J Anim Sci. 69:34-35. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.69134x
- Ryu CH. 2017. Investigation of relationship dietary crude protein and energy levels, and growth performance and carcass characteristics of Hanwoo using statistical Meta-analysis. Ph. D. Thesis. Chonbuk.
- SAS. 2000. SAS Users Guide: Statistics, SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC. USA.
- Shinekhuu J, Ji BJ, Jin GL, Choi SH, Song MK. 2009. Effects of dietary replacement of rice straw with fermented spent mushroom(Flammuliua velutipes) compost on availability of feeds in sheep, and growth performance of Hanwoo steers. J Anim Sci Technol. 51:241-248. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2009.51.3.241
- Van Soest PJ, Robertson JB, Lewis BA. 1991. Methods of dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2