- Volume 16 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Evaluation on the Performance of Deep Excavation by Using PIV Technique
- Abbas, Qaisar (School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Sungkyunkwan Univ. Natural Sciences Campus) ;
- Song, Ju-sang (School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Sungkyunkwan Univ. Natural Sciences Campus) ;
- Yoo, Chung-Sik (School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Sungkyunkwan Univ. Natural Sciences Campus)
- Received : 2017.11.27
- Accepted : 2017.12.22
- Published : 2017.12.30
The concern study, present the results of experimental study on the performance of deep excavation by using image processing technique particle image velocimetry (PIV). The purpose of present study is to check the application of PIV for the successive ground deformation during deep excavation. To meet the objectives of concern study, a series of reduce scale model test box experiments are performed by considering the wall stiffness, ground water table effect and ground relative density. The results are presented in form of contour and vector plots and further based on PIV analysis wall and ground displacement profile are drawn. The results of present study, indicate that, the PIV technique is useful to demonstrate the ground deformation zone during the successive ground excavation as the degree of accuracy in PIV analysis and measured results with LVDT are within 1%. Further the vector and contours plot effectively demonstrate the ground behavior under different conditions and the PIV analysis results fully support the measured results.
Supported by : Korea Agency for Infrastructure Technology Advancement
- Adams, Michael. (2011), "Geosynthetic Reinforced Soil Integrated Bridge System." EuroGeo4 Paper number 271.
- Adrian, R. J. (1991). Particle imaging techniques for experimental fluid mechanics. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, 23, 261-304. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.fl.23.010191.001401
- Carder, D. R. (1995). "Ground movements caused by different embedded retaining wall construction techniques." Transportation Research Laboratory (TRL) Rep. No. 172, Crowthorne, U.K.
- Clough, G. W., and O'Rourke, T. D. (1990). "Construction induced movements of in situ walls." Proc., Conf. on Design and Performance of Earth Retaining Structures, ASCE, Reston, VA, 439-470.
- Coccia, C.J.R. and John S. McCartney, J. (2013), "Impact of Heat Exchange on the Thermo-Hydro-Mechanical Response of Reinforced Embankments", Geo-Congress 2013, ASCE 2013, pp343-352.
- Cording, E. J. (1985). "Evaluation and control of ground movements around tunnels and excavations in soil". In: Proceedings of the XII international conference on soil mechanics and foundation engineering; p. 106-31.
- Fernie, R., and Suckling, T. (1996). "Simplified approach for estimating lateral movement of embedded walls in U.K. ground." Proc., Int. Symp. on Geo Aspects of Underground Construction in Soft Ground, A. A. Balkema, London, 131-136.
- Goldberg, Z. (1976). "Lateral support systems and underpinning" Vol. 1, FHA, PB-257 210, pp.4-22.
- Halim, D., and Wong, K. (2012). "Prediction of frame structure damage resulting from deep excavation." J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943 5606.0000682, 1530-1536.
- Hamza, M., Ata, A., and Roussin, A. (1999), "Ground Movements Due to the Construction of Cut-and-Cover Structures and Slurry Shield Tunnel of the Cairo Metro" Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol.14 pp.281-289. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0886-7798(99)00044-9
- Hashash, Y., and Whittle, A. (1996). "Ground movement prediction for deep excavations in soft clay." J. Geotech. Eng., 10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1996)122:6(474), 474-486. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1996)122:6(474)
- Hong, B.Z., Jin, J.C., Xiang, S.Z., Jian, H. W., and Hao, H. (2014). "Displacement Performance and Simple Prediction for Deep Excavations Supported by Contiguous Bored Pile Walls in Soft Clay." J. Aerosp. Eng., 2015, 28(6):-1-1.
- Hsieh, P. G., and Ou, C. Y. (1998). "Shape of ground surface settlement profiles caused by excavation." Can. Geotech. J., 35(6), 1004-1017. https://doi.org/10.1139/t98-056
- Kung, G. T. C. (2009). "Comparison of excavation-induced wall deflection using top down and bottom-up construction methods in Taipei silty clay." Comput. Geotech., 36(3), 373-385. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compgeo.2008.07.001
- Leung, C. F., Chow, Y. K. and Shen, R. F. (2000), "Behavior of Pile Subject to Excavation-induced soil movement" Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol.126, pp.947-954. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2000)126:11(947)
- Li, A. Z., and Lehane, B. M. (2010). "Embedded cantilever retaining walls in sand." Geotechnique, 60(11), 813-823. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.8.P.147
- Li, M. G., Chen, J. J., Xu, A. J., Xia, X. H., and Wang, J. H. (2014). "Case study of an innovative top-down construction method with channel-type excavation." J. Constr. Eng. Manage., 10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0000828, 05014003. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0000828
- Long, M. (2001). "Database for retaining wall and ground movements due to deep excavations." J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2001)127:3(203), 203-224. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2001)127:3(203)
- Magnus, R., Teh, C. I., and Lau, J. M. (2004). "Report of the committee of inquiry into the incident at the MRT circle line worksite that led to the collapse of Nicoll Highway on 20 April 2004." Rep. Prepared for the Subordinate Courts of Singapore, Vol. 1, Singapore.
- Mana, A. I., and Clough, G. W. (1981). "Prediction of movements for braced cuts in clay." J. Geotech. Eng. Div., 107(6), 759-777.
- McCartney, J.S., HaHaise, D., LaHaise, T., and Rosenberg, J. (2010), "Application of Geoexchange Experience to Geothermal Foundations", GeoFlorida, 2010.
- Mehdi, M., Mostafa. M., and Mohsen. M. (2016). "Analysis of strip footings on Fiber-reinforced slopes with the aid of particle image velocimetry." J. Mater. Civ. Eng., 29(4): 04016243.
- Michael, L. (2001), "Database for Retaining Wall and Ground movements due to Deep Excavations" Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol.127 pp.203-224. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2001)127:3(203)
- Moritz, Lovisa. (1995), "Geotechnical properties of clay at elevated temperatures." Swedish Geotechnical Institute SGI, S-581.
- Namazi, E., and Mohamad, H. (2013). "Assessment of building damage induced by three-dimensional ground movements." J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000822, 608-618. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000822
- O'Rourke, T.D. (1975). "A study of two braced excavation in sands and interbedded stiff clay. Ph.D. thesis, Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Ou, C. Y., Hsieh, P. G., and Chiou, D. C. (1993). "Characteristics of ground surface settlement during excavation." Can. Geotech. J., 30(5), 758-767. https://doi.org/10.1139/t93-068
- Ou, C.Y., Liao, J.T., and Lin, H.D. 1998. Performance of diaphragm wall constructed using top-down method. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, 124 (9): 987-808.
- Peck, R. B. (1969). "Deep excavation and tunneling in soft ground." Proc., Int. Conf. on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, State-ofthe-Art, International Society of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, London, 225-290.
- Pio-Go Hsieh and Chang-Yu Ou(1998), "Shape of ground surface settlement profiles caused by excavation" Can Geotech. J. Vol.35 pp.1004-1017 https://doi.org/10.1139/t98-056
- Rechenmacher. A.L, and Finno. R.J. (2004). Digital image correlation to evaluate shear banding in dilative sand. Geotechnical Testing Journal, 27(1): 13-22. https://doi.org/10.1520/GTJ10864
- Take. W.A. (2015). Advances in visualization of geotechnical process through digital image correlation. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 52(9): 1199-1220. https://doi.org/10.1139/cgj-2014-0080
- Tan, Y., and Wei, B. (2012). "Performance of an overexcavated metro station and facilities nearby." J. Perform. Constr. Facil., 10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943 5509.0000231, 241-254.
- Terzaghi, K., and Peck, R. B. (1967). "Soil mechanics in engineering practice", 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York.
- Tsutsumi, Ayato, and Hiroyuki Tanaka. (2012), "Combined effects of strain rate and temperature on consolidation behavior of clayey soils." Soils and Foundations 52.2, pp.207-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sandf.2012.02.001
- Vega, A. (2012), "Impact of temperature cycles on the termal consolidation of saturated silt under different stress states", B.S., Colorado State University-Pueblo.
- White, D.J., Take, W.A., Bolton, M.D., and Munachen, S.E. (2001b). A deformation measuring system for geotechnical testing based on digital imaging, close- range photogrammetry, and PIV image analysis. In Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Istanbul, Turkey. Balkema, Rotterdam. pp.539-542.
- White. D.J, Take. W.A., Bolton, M.D., and Munachen. S.E. (2001a). A deformation measuring system for geotechnical testing based on digital imaging, close range photogrammetry, and PIV image analysis. In proceeding of the 15th International conference on soil mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Istanbul, Turkey. Balkema, Rotterdam. pp. 539-542.
- White. D.J. Take. and Bolton. M. (2003). Soil deformation measurement using Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV) and photogrammetry. Geotechnique, 53(7): 619-613. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.2003.53.7.619
- Wong, I. H., Poh, T. Y., and Chuah, H. L. (1997). "Performance of excavations for depressed expressway in Singapore." J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(1997)123:7(617), 617-625. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(1997)123:7(617)
- Yang, K.S., Chung, C.K., and Kim, M.M. (1996) "Analysis of adjacent ground surface settlement for deep excavation in urban areas. KGS spring national conference/23, March, 1996/Seoul/Korea.
- Yoo, C. (2001). "Behavior of braced and anchored walls in soils overlying rock." J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2001)127:3(225), 225-233. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2001)127:3(225)
- Yoo, C. and Dongyeob, L. (2007). "Deep excavation-induced ground surface movement characteristics-Anumericalinvestigation" J. Computer and Geotechnics.