- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Survey of Staphylococcus epidermidis Contamination on the Hands of Dental Hygienists and Equipment Surface of Dental Clinics
치과의료기관 의료장비 표면 및 치과위생사 손의 Staphylococcus epidermidis 오염도 조사
- Kim, Seol-Hee (Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Medical Science, Konyang University)
- 김설희 (건양대학교 의과학대학 치위생학과)
- Received : 2017.08.14
- Accepted : 2017.10.12
- Published : 2017.12.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate Staphylococcus epidermidis contamination on hands of 20 dental hygienists and 140 equipment surface of 20 dental clinics in a local area, from July to August 2017. The degree of S. epidermidis contamination was measured using a hand plate and a rodac plate and then cultured at
- Jeong SY, Oh HS, Chun HK: Analysis of the status of infection controls after application of the healthcare accreditation system. Korean J Health Serv Manag 9: 33-49, 2015.
- Kim NC, Choi KO: Effects on nurses' hand washing behavior and reduction of respiratory isolation rate of MRSA of the hand washing education. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 14: 26-33, 2002.
- Park ES, Jeong JS, Kim KM, et al.: A study on the costs of hospital infection control and prevention. Korean J Nosocomial Infect Control 12: 50-57, 2007.
- Kwandong University College of Medicine: Investigation of resistance rate change with multi-drug resistant clinical pathogens in healthcare associated infections on general hospitals in Korea. Osong, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2016.
- Kim YG, Han MD: Oral microbiology. Komoonsa, Seoul, p.203, 2010.
- Lee H, Choi SM: Hand washing awareness among students in Seoul and antibiotic resistance of staphylococcus aureus isolated on their hands. J Environ Health Sci 35: 278-286, 2009.
- CDC: Guideline for disinfection and sterilization in healthcare facilities, 2008. Retrieved August 1, 2017, from https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/pdf/guidelines/disinfec tion-guidelines.pdf.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare: Dental treatment infection control standards. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Seoul, 2014.
- Choi DR, Kim SH: The study on organization, infection controller, patient infection control of dental clinic in certain areas. J Dent Hyg Sci 15: 399-406, 2015. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.4.399
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Training materials for medical personal of isolation unit: hand washing and personal hygiene management. Retrieved September 6, 2017, from https://goo.gl/QdpcGY.
- Park JH, Kim HS: The effect of the hand hygiene education program on hand hygiene knowledge, hand hygiene perception, nasal staphylococcus aureus colonization and hand hygiene adherence in nursing students. J Korean Biol Nurs Sci 14: 156-165, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2012.14.3.156
- Cho SS, Kim KM, Lee BY, Park SA: The effects of simulation-based infection control training on the intensive care unit nurses' perception, clinical performance, and self-efficacy of infection control. J Korean Clin Nurs Res 18: 381-390, 2012.
- Kweon OM, Park ES, Lee DS, et al.: A three-year study of the effectiveness of hand-hygiene protocol implementation at a university hospital. Korean J Nosocomial Infect Control 17: 53-60, 2012.
- World Health Organization: A guide to the implementation of the WHO multimodal hand hygiene improvement strategy. Retrieved August 4, 2017, from http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2009/WHO_IER_PSP_2009.02_eng.pdf.
- Seoul Medical University Bundang Hospital: Implementation of the WHO multimodal hand hygiene improvement strategy: a pilot study. Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Seongnam, p.14, 2013.
- Park WR, Song CB, Lee SG, Lee KH: Relative Light Unit (RLU) count at the dental environment by use of FlugunTM and PCMX as a low temperature spray typed sterilization agent. Int J Clin Prev Dent 8: 165-171, 2012.
- Lee HJ, Kim MY: Prevalence of Staphylococcus aureus to antiseptic solution in dental hygiene practices room environment. J Korean Acad Dent Health 32: 405-415, 2008.
- Yun KO, Park HJ, Son BS: A study on bacterial concentrations in dental offices. J Environ Health Sci 40: 469-476, 2014.
- Hong DH, Kim HG: Analysis of bacterial contamination on surface of general radiography equipment and CT equipment in emergency room of radiology. J Radiol Sci Tech 39: 421-427, 2016. https://doi.org/10.17946/JRST.2016.39.3.17
- Han JS, Chun GS: A study about the contamination of microorganisms in private dental clinic. Korean J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 28: 119-134, 2004.
- Min JH, Park SN, Hwang HK, Min JB, Kim HS, Kook JK: Detection of methicillin or vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from dental hospital. J Korean Acad Conserv Dent 32: 102-110, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5395/JKACD.2007.32.2.102
- Nam YS: Analysis on relevant factors in practice of prevention for infections in dental clinics-(focusing on dental hygienists). J Dent Hyg Sci 8: 189-198, 2008.
- Kim SC: Bacteriological monitoring of radiology room apparatus in the department of radiological technology and contamination on hands of radiological technologists. J Radiol Sci Tech 31: 329-335, 2008.
- Jang KA, Park JH: Factors influencing infection control awareness and implementation levels among dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 16: 183-192, 2016. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.2.183
- Jeong SY, Kim OS, Lee JY: The status of healthcare-associated infection control among healthcare facilities in Korea. J Digit Converg 12: 353-366, 2014.