- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Validity and Reliability of Professional Identity of Dental Hygienists
치과위생사 전문직 정체성 측정도구의 타당도와 신뢰도
- Kim, Hyeong-Mi (Department of Dental Hygiene, Namseoul University) ;
- Cho, Young-Sik (Department of Dental Hygiene, Namseoul University)
- Received : 2017.10.14
- Accepted : 2017.11.28
- Published : 2017.12.31
This study aimed to develop a measure of professional identity for Korean dental hygienists and to analyze the factors and characteristics of professional identity of these dental hygienists. In this study, 890 dental hygienists completed a self-administered survey. The final analysis was conducted with a total of 880 responses, excluding 10 questionnaires with unreliable responses and partial responses. A systematic literature review was conducted to establish the definition of professional identity, while content validity, exploratory factor, confirmatory factor, and reliability analysis were conducted to establish the constructive factors. Descriptive statistics, independent sample t-test, and one-way ANOVA were used to identify the level of each factor. Authors conceptualized the professional identity for Korean dental hygienists and item generation, item reduction, and questionnaire formatting. The developed measure of professional identity for dental hygienists consisted of five factors, with 15 items. "Sense of calling," "need for academic capacity building," "performance of delegated authority," "compliance of code of ethics," and "usage of professional organizations" were the constituent factors. Based on these factors, the level of professional identity was the highest in the "performance of delegated authority" and lowest in the "usage of professional organizations." These finding indicated that dental hygienists with higher education levels have higher professional identity levels. The dental hygienists working at the general/university hospital had the highest level of professional identity. Thus, further research is needed to establish a model that consists of factors affecting and influencing the professional identity of dental hygienists.
- The significance of development history and chronological division. In: Korean Dental Hygienists Association, Korean Association of Dental Hygiene Professors, eds. The history of dental hygiene education in Korea. 1st ed. Daehan Narae Publishing Inc., Seoul, pp.18-25, 2015.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare: Ministry of health and welfare statistical yearbook 2016. 1st ed. Iemun Co., Osong, p.578, 2016.
- The educational institution. In: Korean Dental Hygienists Association, Korean Association of Dental Hygiene Professors, eds. The history of dental hygiene education in Korea. 1st ed. Daehan Narae Publishing Inc., Seoul, pp.176-199, 2015.
- Kim JY, Kim YS, Jung SH, Shin JW: The necessity for the Korean dental hygiene accreditation system. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 14: 789-794, 2014. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.789
- Official Gazette: Date search. Retrieved September 5, 2016, from http://theme.archives.go.kr/viewer/common/archWeb Viewer.do?singleData=N&archiveEventId=0028019447#2.pdf (1967, August 23).
- Official Gazette: Date search. Retrieved September 5, 2016, from http://theme.archives.go.kr/viewer/common/archWebViewer.do?singleData=N&archiveEventId=0028527842#15(1973, February 16).
- National Law Information Center: Enforcement degree of medical assistance act Article 2. Retrieved September 5, 2016, from http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=25330# 0000(1966, July 25).
- National Law Information Center: Enforcement degree of medical technologists, etc. act Article 2. Retrieved September 5, 2016, from https://goo.gl/23oiHs(2011, November 16).
- Jang HY, Lee SR, Lee YJ, et al.: Awareness and need as factors in an incremental oral health care program for Korean adults. J Dent Hyg Sci 16: 442-448, 2016. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2016.16.6.442
- Kim HM, Lim SR, Bae HS: The professionalization of American dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 14: 276-286, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.3.276
- Wilkins EM: Clinical practice of the dental hygienist. 11th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, p.4, 2012.
- American Dental Hygienists Association: Education & careers. Retrieved September 5, 2016, from http://www.adha.org/adha-transformational-whitepaper(2015).
- Um YR: An idea for professional ethical practice: positive ethics. J Hum Stud (27): 141-166, 2014.
- Min WH, Lee HS, Kim HM: A study on the effect of professional identity as a social worker on the job satisfaction of probation officers. Korean J Probat 10: 189-225, 2010.
- Greenwood E: Attributes of a profession. Soc Work 2: 45-55, 1957.
- Ibarra H: Provisional selves: experimenting with image and identity in professional adaptation. Adm Sci Quart 44: 764- 791, 1999. https://doi.org/10.2307/2667055
- Lee JY: A study on the influential factors of the dental hygienist's professionalism. J Dent Hyg Sci 11: 573-581, 2011.
- Hall RH: Some organizational considerations in the professional-organizational relationship. Adm Sci Quart 12: 461-478, 1967. https://doi.org/10.2307/2391315
- Snizek WE: Hall's professionalism scale: an empirical reassessment. Am Sociol Rev 37: 109-114, 1972. https://doi.org/10.2307/2093498
- Kim JS, Yu KL: A moderating effect of professional identity for the professional school counselors in the relationship between role conflict and burnout. Korean J Couns Psychother 22: 53-69, 2010.
- Lim SO, Kim HH: The moderating effects of professional identity on the relationship between job stress and burnout of care workers from care facilities. J Korean Soc Welf Adm 13: 151-176, 2011.
- Kim JH, Ahn HY, Eom MR, Lee MY: A study of emergency room nurse’s burn-out, nursing performance, and professional identity. Korean J Occup Health Nurs 19: 50-59, 2010.
- Kim DH, Shon MJ: The effects of socio-demographic characteristics of physical therapist for the awareness of necessity of opening independent clinic & professionalism of the physical therapist. J Korea Contents Assoc 15: 378-386, 2015.
- Cho BH: A study on professional and occupational satisfaction of practitioners. Korean J Sociol 28: 37-64, 1994.
- Yoo HJ, Yoo TY, Chung TI, Bae SH, Jo AR: Scale development of occupational identity and testing model of antecedents and outcome variables of occupational identity. Korean J Ind Organ Psychol 27: 617-642, 2014.
- National Law Information Center: Medical technologists, etc. act Article 1-2. Retrieved September 5, 2016, from https://goo.gl/8EtN6Y(1982, April 2).
- Lee K, Hur Y: Exploratory and confirmatory factor analysis of medical professionalism core attributes scale. Korean J Med Educ 24: 339-346, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2012.24.4.339
- Cho BH: Sociology of medical problems: contradictions and reforms of the Korean medical system. 2nd ed. Taeilsa, Daegu, 2000.
- Lee SM: A study on the professional identity of dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 9: 99-109, 2009.
- Lee SM, Kim SH: Effect of clinical practice of dental hygiene students on professional identity. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 11: 189-196, 2011.
- Kim HY, Lee HS: Professionalization of life long educators in South Korea. J Lifelong Learn Soc 8: 157-185, 2012. https://doi.org/10.26857/JLLS.2012.08.8.2.157