- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
New Coordination Approach to Minimize the Number of Re-adjusted Relays When Adding DGs in Interconnected Power Systems
- Ibrahim, Doaa Khalil (Electrical Power and Machines Dept., Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University) ;
- El Zahab, Essam El Din Abo (Electrical Power and Machines Dept., Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University) ;
- Aziz Mostafa, Saadoun Abd El (Arab Contractor Company)
- Received : 2016.01.29
- Accepted : 2016.11.08
- Published : 2017.03.01
The presence of DGs in power system networks tends to negatively affect the protective relays coordination. The proposed method introduces an approach to minimize the numbers of relays that acquire new settings on contrary to their original settings (case without DG), to achieve relays coordination in case of adding DG, since relays coordination with minimum number of relays of re-adjusted settings represents economical target, especially in networks containing mixture of electromechanical and adaptive digital relays. The scheme decides the possible minimum number of re-adjusted relays and their locations in an optimum manner to achieve proper relays coordination in case of adding DGs. The proposed approach is divided into two successive phases; the first phase is stopped when the first relays coordination solution is achieved. The second phase increases the possibility to keep higher number of relays at their original settings than that obtained in first phase through achieving multi solutions of relays coordination. The proposed approach is implemented and effectively tested on the well-known IEEE-39 bus test system.
- M. Dewadasa, A. Ghosh, and G. Ledwich, "Protection of distributed generation connected networks with coordination of overcurrent relays," in Proceedings of 37th Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON), Melbourne, VIC, 2011.
- T. Amraee, "Coordination of directional overcurrent relays using seeker algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 27, pp. 1415-1422, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2012.2190107
- M. Mansour, S. Mekhamar, and N.S. EL-Kharabawe," A modified particle swarm optimizer for the coordination of directional overcurrent relay," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 22, pp. 1400-1410, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2007.899259
- D. Birla, R. P., Maheshwari, H. O., Gupta, "Timeovercurrent relay coordination: a review," International Journal Emerging Electrical Power System, vol. 2, 2005.
- Jenkins, L., Khincha, H., Shivakumar, S., Dash, P., "An Application of Functional Dependencies to the Topological Analysis of Protection Schemes," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 7, pp. 77-83, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.108892
- M. H. Hussain , S. R. A. Rahim, I. Musirin, "Optimal Overcurrent Relay Coordination: A Review," in Proceedings of Malaysian Technical Universities Conference on Engineering & Technology 2012, MUCET 2012 Part 1- Electronic and Electrical Engineering Procedia Engineering, vol. 53, pp. 332-336, 2013.
- J. Urdaneta, R. Nadira, L. G. Perez, "Optimal coordination of directional overcurrent relays in interconnected power systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 3, pp. 903-911, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.193867
- H.H. Zeineldin, E.F. El-Saadany, M.M.A. Salama, Optimal coordination of overcurrent relays using a modified particle swarm optimization, Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 76, pp. 988-995, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2005.12.001
- F. Razavi, H. A. Abyaneh, M. Al-Dabbagh, R. Mohammadi, H. Torkaman, "A new comprehensive genetic algorithm method for optimal overcurrent relays coordination," Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 78 pp. 713-725, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2007.05.013
- Albasri, F. A.; Alroomi, A. R.; Talaq, J. H., "Optimal Coordination of Directional Overcurrent Relays Using Biogeography-Based Optimization Algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 3, pp.1810-1820, 2015.
- H. H. Zeineldin , Yasser Abdel-Rady I. Mohamed, Vinod Khadkikar, and V. Ravikumar Pandi, "A Protection Coordination Index for Evaluating Distributed Generation Impacts on protection for Meshed Distribution Systems," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 4, pp. 1523-1532, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2013.2263745
- Prashant P. Bedekar, Sudhir R. Bhide, Vijay S. Kale., "Optimum coordination of overcurrent relays in distribution system using dual simplex method," in Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering and Technology (ICETET), Nagpur, 2009.
- Hebatallah Mohamed Sharaf, H. H. Zeineldin, Doaa Khalil Ibrahim and Essam EL-Din Abou EL-Zahab, "Protection Coordination of Directional Overcurrent Relays Considering Fault Current Direction," in Proceedings of 5th IEEE conference on Innovative Smart Grid Technologies, ISGT 2014, Istanbul, Turkey, 12-15 Oct 2014.
- A.Y. Abdelaziz , H.E.A. Talaat , A.I. Nosseir , Ammar A. Hajjar., "An adaptive protection scheme for optimal coordination of overcurrent relays," Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 61, pp. 1-9, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7796(01)00176-6
- Walid El-Khattam, Tarlochan S. Sidhu, "Resolving the impact of distributed renewable generation on directional overcurrent relay coordination: a case study," IET Renewable Power Generation, vol. 3, pp. 415-425, 2008.