- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Turn-on Loss Reduction for High Voltage Power Stack Using Active Gate Driving Method
- Kim, Jin-Hong (Intelligent Mechatronics Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute) ;
- Park, Joon Sung (Intelligent Mechatronics Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute) ;
- Gu, Bon-Gwan (Dept. of Energy Engineering, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Won, Chung-Yuen (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2016.01.29
- Accepted : 2016.06.01
- Published : 2017.03.01
This paper presents an improved approach towards reducing the switching loss of insulated gate bipolar transistors (IGBTs) for a medium-capacity-class power conditioning system (PCS). In order to improve the switching performance, the switching operation is analyzed, and based on this analysis, an improved switching method that reduces the switching time and switching loss is proposed. Compared to a conventional gate drive scheme, the switching loss, switching time, and delay are improved in the proposed gate driving method. The performance of the proposed gate driving method is verified through several experiments.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning(KETEP)
- Wu B, Lang Y, Zargari N, and Kouro S, Power conversion and control of wind power systems, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2011.
- Rodriguez J, Bernet S, Wu B, Pontt JO, and Kouro S, "Multilevel voltage source converter topologies for industrial medium-voltage drives," IEEE Trans. Ind Electron., vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 2930-2945. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.907044
- V. John, B. S. Suh and T. A. Lipo, "High-performance active gate drive for high-power IGBT's," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 1108-1117, Sept./Oct., 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.793372
- L. Heinemann, J. Mast, G. Scheible, T. Heinzel, and T. Zuellig, "Power supply for very high insulation requirements in IGBT gate-drives," in Proceedings of IEEE Industry Applications Conference Soc. Annual Meeting, vol. 2, pp. 1562-1566, 1998.
- H. G. Eckel and L. Sack, "Optimization of the turnoff performance of IGBT at overcurrent and shortcircuit current," in Proceedings of EPE'93, pp. 317-322, 1993.
- Hemmer R., "Intelligent IGBT drivers with exceptional driving and protection features," in Proceeding of EPE'09, pp.1-4, 2009.
- Kieinichen P., Alvarez R., Buschendorf M. and Bernet S., "Turn-on loss reduction of 6.5kV/500A tench/field-stop IGBTs using a simple GDU," in Proceeding of IEEE ECCE 2013, pp. 3671-3678, 2013.
- Zhiqiang Wang, Xiaojie Shi, Yang Xue, Tolbert L.M., and Blalock B.J., "A gate drive circuit of high power IGBTs for improved turn-on characteristics under hard switching conditions," in proceeding of IEEE COMPEL 2012, pp.1-7, 2012.
- C. Licitra, S. Musumeci, A. Raciti, A. U. Galluzzo, R. Letor and M. Melito, "A new driving circuit for IGBT devices," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 373-378, May 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.388004
- S. Takizawa, S. Igarashi and K. Kuroki, "A new di/dt control gate drive circuit for IGBTs to reduce EMI noise and switching losses," in Proceedings of IEEE PESC, vol. 2, pp. 1443-1449, 1998.
- Grbovic P.J. "An IGBT gate driver for feed-forward control of turn-on losses and reverse recovery current," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, pp. 643-652, 2008.
- N. Idir, R. Bausiere and J. J. Franchaud, "Active gate voltage control of turn-on di/dt and turn-off dv/dt in insulated gate transistors," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 849-855, Jul 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.876895
- Y. Lobsiger and J. W. Kolar, "Closed-loop IGBT gate drive featuring highly dynamic di/dt and dv/dt control," in Proc. of IEEE ECCE, pp. 4754-4761, 2012.
- X.S. Yao, J. Feinberg, R. Logan, and L. Maleki, "Limitations on peak pulse power, pulse width, and coding mask misalignment in a fiber-optic codedivision multiple-access system", Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 836-646, Jun 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/50.233247
- Kiyoshi Yoshikawa et al., "Strongly Localized Potential Profile Measurements through Stark effects in the central core region of an inertial Electrostatic Fusion Device", Fusion Technology, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 1193-1201, 2001. https://doi.org/10.13182/FST01-A173
- A. Welleman and W. Fleischmann, "High Current, High di/dt Semiconductor Devices for Single and Repetitive Pulse Applications", in Proceedings of PPC-2003, Dallas TX, June 2003.
- Y. Wang, P. R. Palmer, T. C. Lim, S. J. Finney, and A. T. Bryant, "Realtime optimization of IGBT/diode cell switching under active voltage control," in Proceeding of the 41st IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting (IAS), vol. 5, Tampa, FL, USA, pp. 2262-2268, 2006.
- L. Dang, H. Kuhn, and A. Mertens, "Digital adaptive driving strategies for high-voltage IGBTs," in Proceeding of the IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), Phoenix, AZ, USA, pp. 2993-2999, 2011
- Andres Volke and Michael Hornkamp, IGBT Modules: Technologies, Driver and Application, Infineon, 2011.
- Vinod Kumar Khanna, IGBT Theory and Design, Wiley, 2003.
- R. Chokhawala, J. Catt, and B. Pelly, "Gate drive considerations for IGBT Modules," in Proceedings of IEEE-IAS, pp.1186-1195, 1992.
- N. Mohan, T. M. Undeland, and W. P. Robbins, Power Electronics : Converters, Applications and Design, Wiley, 1995
- V. Venketashan, M. Eshaghi, R. Borras, and S. Deuty, "IGBT turn-off characteristics explained through measurements and device simulation," in Proceedings of IEEE APEC'97, pp. 175-178, 1997.
- A. Consoli, S. Musumeci, G. Oriti, and A. Testa, "An innovative EMI reduction design technique in power converters," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 567-575, Nov. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/15.544311
- N. Idir, R. Bausiere, and J. J. Franchaud, "Active gate voltage control of turn-on di/dt and turn-off dv/dt in insulated gate transistors," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 849-855, Jul.2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.876895
- L. Chen, and F. Z. Peng, "Closed-loop gate drive for high power IGBTs," in Proc. 24th IEEE Appl. Power Electron. Conf. Expo., Washington, DC, USA, Feb. 2009, pp. 1331-1337.
- Y.Wang, P. R. Palmer, T.C. Lim, S. J. Finney, andA. T.Bryant, "Real-time optimization of IGBT/diode cell switching under active voltage control," in Proc. 41st IEEE Ind. Appl. Soc. Annu. Meeting, Tampa, FL, USA, Oct. 2006, vol. 5, pp. 2262-2268.
- Y. Lobsiger and J. W. Kolar, "Closed-loop di/dt and dv/dt IGBT gate driver," IEEE trans. Power Electronics, vol. 30, No. 6, pp. 3402-3417, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2332811
- H. Kuhn, T. Koneke, and A. Mertens, "Considerations for a digital gate unit in high power applications," in Proc. 39th IEEE Power Electron. Spec. Conf., Rhodes, Greece, Jun. 2008, pp. 2784-2790.