- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Five-Level PWM Inverter Using Series and Parallel Alternative Connection of Batteries
- Park, Jin-Soo (Dept. of Control and Instrumentation Engineering, Hanbat National University) ;
- Kang, Feel-soon (Dept. of Electronics and Control Engineering, Hanbat National University)
- Received : 2016.05.24
- Accepted : 2016.10.28
- Published : 2017.03.01
This paper presents a five-level PWM inverter using series and parallel connection of voltage sources. The alternative connection is done by an auxiliary circuit consisted of a switch, three diodes, and two batteries. The auxiliary circuit is located between input dc voltage source and H-bridge cell. Thanks to the auxiliary circuit, the proposed inverter synthesizes five-level output voltage in an effective way. Topologically both batteries are charged and discharged in the same rate, so it does not need to apply battery voltage balancing control method. Theoretical analysis of the proposed inverter is verified by computer-aided simulation and experiment based on a prototype of 1kW.
Supported by : Hanbat National University
- K. K. Gupta and S. Jain, "Comprehensive review of a recently proposed multilevel inverter," IET Power Electron., vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 467-479, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2012.0438
- M. Malinowski, K. Gopakumar, J. Rodriguez, and M. A. Perez, "A Survey on Cascaded Multilevel Inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 2197-2206, July 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2030767
- Rodrigues J, Lai J. S, and Peng F. Z, "Multilevel inverters : A survey of topologies, controls and application," IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electron., vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 724-738, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.801052
- E. Najafi and A. H. M. Yatim, "Design and Implementation of a New Multilevel Inverter Topology," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 4148-4154, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2176691
- J. Ebrahimi, E. Babaei, and G. B. Gharehpetian, "A New Multilevel Converter Topology With Reduced Number of Power Electronic Components," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 655-667, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2151813
- E. Babaei, S. Laali, and Z. Bayat, "A Single-Phase Cascaded Multilevel Inverter Based on a New Basic Unit With Reduced Number of Power Switches," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 922-929, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2336601
- Kai-Ming Tsang and Wai-Lok Chan, "Single DC source three-phase multilevel inverter using reduced number of switches," IET Power Electron., vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 775-783, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0319
- S. Laali and E. Babaei, "Optimum Structures of Proposed New Cascaded Multilevel Inverter with Reduced Number of Components," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. pp, no. 99, pp. 1-1, 2015 (IEEE Early Access Articles).
- E. Babaei, S. Alilu, and S. Laali, "A New General Topology for Cascaded Multilevel Inverters With Reduced Number of Components Based on Developed H-Bridge," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron, vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 3932-3939, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2286561
- Yiqiao Liang and C. O. Nwankpa, "A new type of STATCOM based on cascading voltage-source inverters with phase-shifted unipolar SPWM," IEEE Trans. Ind. App., vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 1118-1123, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.793373
- K. Corzine and Y. Familiant, "A new cascaded multilevel H-bridge drive," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 125-131, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.988678
- A. Mokhberdoran and A. Ajami, "Symmetric and Asymmetric Design and Implementation of New Cascaded Multilevel Inverter Topology," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 6712-6724, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2302873
- K. K. Gupta and S. Jain, "A Novel Multilevel Inverter Based on Switched DC Sources," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 3269-3278, July 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2282606
- G. Buticchi, E. Lorenzani, and G. Franceschini, "A Five-Level Single-Phase Grid-Connected Converter for Renewable Distributed Systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 906-918, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2189538
- Zixin Li, Ping Wang, Yaohua Li, and Fanqiang Gao, "A Novel Single-Phase Five Inverter With Coupled Inductors," IEEE Trans. on Power Electron., vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 2716-2725, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2176753
- F. P. Zeng, G. H. Tan, J. Z. Wang, and Y. C. Ji, "Novel single-phase five-level voltage-source inverter for the shunt active power filter," IET. Power Electron., vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 480-489, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2007.0395
- J. C. Wu, M. J. He, and H. L. Jou, "New five-level inverter-based grid-connected power conversion interface," IET. Power Electron., vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 1239-1247, 2012.
- Ding Kaj, Zou Yun-ping, Cai Zheng-ying, Wu Zhichao, Liu Fei, and Xu Xiang-lian, "A novel singlephase 5-level asymmetric inverter," in Proc. Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference, IPEMC 2004, vol. 2, pp. 793-798.
- J. S. Choi and F. S. Kang, "Seven-Level PWM Inverter Employing Series-Connected Capacitors Paralleled to a Single DC Voltage Source," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 3448-3459, June 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2370948
- A. Ajami, H. Shokri, and A. Mokhberdoran, "Parallel switch-based chopper circuit for DC capacitor voltage balancing in diode-clamped multilevel inverter," IET Power Electron. vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 503-514, 2014.
- A. I. Maswood, O. H. P. Gabriel, and E. Al Ammar, "Comparative study of multilevel inverters under unbalanced voltage in a single DC link," IET Power Electron. vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 1530-1542, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2012.0454
- Jun Mei, Ke Shen, Bailu Xiao, L. M. Tolbert, Jianyong Zheng, "A New Selective Loop Bias Mapping Phase Disposition PWM With Dynamic Voltage Balance Capability for Modular Multilevel Converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 798-807, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2253069
- Shengfang Fan, Kai Zhang, Jian Xiong, and Yaosuo Xue, "An Improved Control System for Modular Multilevel Converters with New Modulation Strategy and Voltage Balancing Control," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 358-371, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2304969
- Y. S. Lai and F. S. Shyu, "Topology for hybrid multilevel inverter," IEE proc. Electr. Power Appl. vol. 149, no. 6, pp. 449-458, Nov. 2002.