- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Hybrid Modulation Strategy with Reduced Switching Losses and Neutral Point Potential Balance for Three-Level NPC Inverter
- Jiang, Weidong (Dept. of Electrical Engineering and automation, Hefei University of technology) ;
- Gao, Yan (Dept. of Electrical Engineering and automation, Hefei University of technology) ;
- Wang, Jinping (Dept. of Electrical Engineering and automation, Hefei University of technology) ;
- Wang, Lei (Dept. of Electrical Engineering and automation, Hefei University of technology)
- Received : 2016.01.19
- Accepted : 2016.11.17
- Published : 2017.03.01
In this paper, carrier-based pulse width modulation (CBPWM), space vector PWM (SVPWM) and reduced switching losses PWM (RSLPWM) for the three-level neutral point clamped (NPC) inverter are introduced. In the case of the neutral point (NP) potential (NPP) offset, an asymmetric disposition PWM (ASPDPWM) strategy is proposed, which can output PWM sequences correctly and suppress the lower order harmonics of the inverter effectively. An NPP balance strategy based on carrier based PWM (CBPWM) is analyzed. A hybrid modulation strategy combining RSLPWM and the NPP balance based on CBPWM is proposed, and hysteresis control is adopted to switch between the two modulation strategies. An experimental prototype of the three-level NPC inverter is built. The effectiveness of the hybrid modulation is verified with a resistance-inductance load and a permanent magnetic synchronous motor (PMSM) load, respectively. The experimental results show that reduced switching losses and an acceptable NPP can be effectively achieved in the hybrid modulation strategy.
- H. Bai and Z. M. Zhao, "Framework and research methodology of short timescale plused power phenomena in high-voltage and high-power converters," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 805-816,Mar. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2004387
- Z. Zhao, Y. Zhong, H. Gao, L. Yuan, and T. Lu, "Hybrid selective harmonic elimination PWM for common-mode voltage reduction in threelevel neutralpoint-clamped inverters for variable speed induction drives," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 1152-1158, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2162591
- J. Mathew, P.P. Rajeevan, K. Mathew, N.A. Azeez and K. Gopakumar, "A multilevel inverter scheme with dodecagonal voltage space vectors based on flying capacitor topology for induction motor drives," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 516-525, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2195784
- B. Singh and V.S. Kadagala, "Simulation of threelevel 24-pulse voltage source converters-based static synchronous compensator for reactive power control," IET Power Electronics, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 1148-1161, May. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0252
- O. Vodyakho and T. Kim, "Shunt active filter based on three-level inverter for three-phase four-wire systems," IET Power Electronics, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 216-226, Mar. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2008.0036
- Y. Wang, W. W. Shi, N. Xie, and C. M. Wang, "Diode free T-type three level neutral-point-clamped inverter for low voltage renewable energy system," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 61, no. 11, pp. 6168-6174, Nov.2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2311407
- M. Schweizer and J. W. Kolar, "Design and implementation of a highly efficient three-level T-type converter for low-voltage applications," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 899-907, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2203151
- W. Song, X. Feng, and K. M. Smedley, "A carrierbased PWM strategy with the offset voltage injection for single-phase three-level neutral-point clamped converters," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 1083-1095, Mar. 2013.
- J. Pou, J. Zaragoza, S. Ceballos, M. Saeedifard, and D. Boroyevich, "A carrier-based PWM strategy with zero-sequence voltage injection for a three-level neutral-point-clamped converter," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 642-651, Feb.2012.
- W.D. Jiang,W.M. Li, Z.Q. Wu, Y.Y. She and Z.R. Tao, "Space-vector pulse-width modulation algorithm for multilevel voltage source inverters based on matrix transformation and including operation in the overmodulation region", IET Power Electronics, Vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 2925-2933, Dec.2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0823
- V. S. S. P. K. Hari and G. Narayanan, "Space-vectorbased hybrid pulse width modulation technique to reduce line current distortion in induction motor drives," IET Power Electronics, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 1463-1471, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2012.0078
- B. Jacob, and M. R. Baiju, "A new space vector modulation scheme for multilevel inverters which directly vector quantize the reference space vector," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 88-95, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2326998
- U.M. Choi, J. S. Lee and K. B. Lee, "Simple neutralpoint voltage control for three-level inverter using a discontinuous pulse width modulation," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 434-443, June 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2013.2257786
- J.-S. Lee and K.-B. Lee, "Carrier-based discontinuous PWM method for Vienna rectifiers," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 2896- 2900, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2365014
- B. P. McGrath, D. G. Holmes and T. Meynard. "Reduced PWM harmonic distortion for multilevel inverters operating over a wide modulation range," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 941 -949, April. 2006.
- E. Sakasegawa and K. Shinohara, "Compensation for neutral point voltage in three-level inverter by using motor currents," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 121, no. 8, pp. 855-861, Aug. 2001.
- C. L. Xia, X. Gu, T. N. Shi, and Y. Yan, "Neutralpoint potential balancing of three-level inverters in direct-driven wind energy conversion system," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 18-29, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2010.2060487
- W. D. Jiang, B. W Yang, J. Huang, Y. Y. She. "Comparisons of the Neutral Point Voltage Balancing Algorithm for NPC Three-level Inverters Based on Different Zero-sequence Voltage Injection," Proceedings of the CSEE, vol. 33, no. 33, pp. 17-25, Nov. 2013, (in Chinese)
- H. A. Hotait, A. M. Massoud, S. J. Finney and B. W. Williams, "Capacitor voltage balancing using redundant states of space vector modulation for five-level diode clamped inverters," IET Power Electronics, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 292-313, Feb. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2008.0327
- W.D. Jiang, S.W. Du, L.C. Chang, Y. Zhang, and Q. Zhao, "Hybrid PWM strategy of SVPWM and VSVPWM for NPC three-level voltage source inverter," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 2607-2619, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2041254
- Abhijit Choudhury, Pragasen Pillay and Sheldon S. Williamson. "DC-Bus Voltage Balancing Algorithm for Three-Level Neutral-Point-Clamped (NPC) Traction Inverter Drive With Modified Virtual Space Vector," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 3958-3967, Oct. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2016.2566600
- G. I. Orfanoudakis, M. A. Yuratich, and S. M. Sharkh, "Nearest-vector modulation strategies with minimum amplitude of low-frequency neutral point voltage oscillations for the neutral-point-clamped converter," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 4485-4499, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2236686
- U. M. Choi, J. S. Lee and K. B. Lee, "New modulation strategy to balance the neutral-point voltage for three-level neutral-clamped inverter systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 91-100, Jan. 2014.
- Payam Alemi and Dong-Choon Lee, "A Generalized Loss Analysis Algorithm of Power Semiconductor Devices in Multilevel NPC Inverters," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 2168-2180, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.6.2168
- Y. Shi and X. Yang, "Wide-range soft-switching PWM three-level combined DC-DC converter without added primary clamping devices," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 5157-5171, Oct. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2291552
- S. Das, G. Narayanan, and M. Pandey, "Space-vectorbased synchronized three-level discontinuous PWM for medium-voltage high-power VSI," vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 3891-3901, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2288194
- P. Chaturvedi, S. Jain and P. Agarwal, "Carrier-Based Neutral Point Voltage Regulator with Reduced Switching Losses for Three-Level Diode-Clamped Inverter," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 613-624, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2254092
- Y. Jiao, F. C. Lee, and S.Z. Lu, "Space Vector Modulation for Three-Level NPC Converter with Neutral Point Voltage Balance and Switching Loss Reduction," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 5579-5591, Oct. 2014.
- Nam-Joon Ku, Rae-Young Kim and Dong-Seok Hyun, "Partial O-state Clamping PWM Method for Three-Level NPC Inverter with a SiC Clamp Diode," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 1066-1074, Oct. 2015. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.3.1066
- G. Carrara, S. Gardella, M. Marchesoni, R. Salutari and G. Sciutto, "A new multilevel PWM method: a theoretical analysis", added primary clamping devices," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 497-505, Mar.1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.145137