- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
An Experimental Fault Analysis and Speed Control of an Induction Motor using Motor Solver
- Sengamalai, Usha (Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, SRM University) ;
- Chinnamuthu, Subramani (Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, SRM University)
- Received : 2016.07.22
- Accepted : 2016.11.07
- Published : 2017.03.01
This paper deals with the performance analysis of three phase induction motor considering its stator side faults and operating thermal limits. The speed control of induction motor using three phase boost converter operated by a MOSFET switch and a PI controller is demonstrated and presented in this article. IGBTs switches are used for inverter drive mechanism. The experimental result of speed control of induction motor using voltage control technique clearly shows better accuracy than conventional methods of speed control. A three phase 1HP 415V 0.78 kW 4 Pole induction motor is designed using motor solver software. Based on the parameters used in the software thermal analysis of induction motor is done and torque variation with conductor area, efficiency, output curve, losses in different parts of motor has been obtained. Also different types of faults namely under voltage, over voltage, stator imbalanced voltage, turn to turn, locked rotor bar, wrong alignment of rotor bar with respect to stator are studied and fault analysis is performed. Hence comparison is made based upon the results obtained before and after faults.
- M.S. Aspalli, "Three Phase Induction Motor Drive Using IGBT and Constant V/F Method," International Journal of Advanced Research in Electrical Electronics and Instru-mentation Engineering, Vol.1, 2012, Issue 5, pp. 463-469, 2012
- V. V. Srikanth, "Speed Control of three Phase Squirrel Cage Induction Motor by 3-Phase AC Voltage Controller Using SPWM Technique," International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT) vol. 3, Issue 1, pp. 1788-1793, 2014.
- Alfredo,Thomas A. Lipo and Donald W. Novotny, "A New Induction Motor V/f Control Method Capable of High- Performance Regulation at Low Speeds," IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, vol. 34, no. 4, Issue: 4, pp. 813-821,1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.703982
- G. Prakash, C. Subramani, C. Bharatiraja, Mohammed "A low cost single phase grid connected reduced switch PV inverter based on time frame switching scheme," Inter-national Journal of Power and Energy Systems, 77, pp. 100-111, 2016 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2015.11.028
- Thida Win, Nang Sabai, and Hnin Nandar Maung "Analysis of variable frequency three phase induction motor drive," World academy of science, Engineering and technology, vol. 42, pp. 647-651 2008.
- M. Benbouzid, M. Vieira, and C. Theys, "Induction motor's fault detection and localization using stator current advanced signal processing techniques," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 14-22, Jan. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.737588
- William R. Finley, and Robert R. Burke, "Troubleshooting Motor Problems," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 30, no.5, pp. 1383-1397, September 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.315253
- Eduardo Cabal-Yepez, Arturo A. Fernandez-Jaramillo "Real-time condition monitoring on VSD-fed induction motors through statistical analysis and synchronous speed observation," Int. Trans. Electr. Energ. Syst.; 25: pp. 1657-1672, 2015 https://doi.org/10.1002/etep.1938
- M. G. Ioannides, "Design and implementation of PLC-based monitoring control system for induction motor," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 469-476, Sep. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2003.822303
- W. T. Thomson, M. Fenger, "Current signature analysis to detect induction motor faults," IEEE Industry Applications Magazine, vol. 7, pp. 26-34, July/Aug. 2001.
- William. T. Thomson and Mark fenger, "Current signature analysis to detect induction motor faults," IEEE Transaction. On IAS Magazine, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 26-34, July / August 2001.
- Eduardo Cabal-Yepez, Arturo A. Fernandez-Jaramillo, Arturo Garcia-Perez, Rene J. Romero-Troncoso and Jose M. Lozano-Garcia. "Real-time condition monitoring on VSD-fed induction motors through statistical analysis and synchronous speed observation," International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems, 25, pp. 1657-1672, 2015 https://doi.org/10.1002/etep.1938
- A.C. Megherbi, H. Megherbi "Parameter Identification of Induction Motors using Variable-weighted Cost Function of Genetic Algorithms' Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 597-605, 2010 https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.4.597
- An Efficient Fuzzy Controller Design for Parallel Connected Induction Motor Drives vol.1000, pp.1742-6596, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1000/1/012077