- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Copper Particle Effect on the Breakdown Strength of Insulating Oil at Combined AC and DC Voltage
- Wang, You-Yuan (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Chongqing University) ;
- Li, Yuan-Long (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Chongqing University) ;
- Wei, Chao (Power Equipment Condition Assessment Center, Jiangsu Electric Power Company Research Institute) ;
- Zhang, Jing (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Chongqing University) ;
- Li, Xi (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Chongqing University)
- Received : 2016.08.05
- Accepted : 2016.12.06
- Published : 2017.03.01
Converter transformer is the key equipment of high voltage direct current transmission system. The solid suspending particles originating from the process of installation and operation of converter transformer have significant influence on the insulation performance of transformer oil, especially in presence of DC component in applied voltage. Under high electric field, the particles easily lead to partial discharge and breakdown of insulating oil. This paper investigated copper particle effect on the breakdown voltage of transformer oil at combined AC and DC voltage. A simulation model with single copper particle was established to interpret the particle effect on the breakdown strength of insulating oil. The experimental and simulation results showed that the particles distort the electric field. The breakdown voltage of insulating oil contaminated with copper particle decreases with the increase of particle number, and the breakdown voltage and the logarithm of particle number approximately satisfy the linear relationship. With the increase of the DC component in applied voltage, the breakdown voltage of contaminated insulating oil decreases. The simulation results show that the particle collides with the electrode more frequently with more DC component contained in the applied voltage, which will trigger more discharge and decrease the breakdown voltage of insulating oil.
- Lu Weixing and B. T. Ooi, "Optimal Acquisition and Aggregation of Offshore Wind power by Multiterminal Voltage-source HVDC," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 201-206, Jan, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2002.803826
- Wang X. and Wang Z D, "Particle Effect on Breakdown Voltage of Mineral and Ester Based Transformer Oils," IEEE Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena (CEIDP), Quebec, Canada, Oct, 2008, pp. 598-602.
- Rain P. and R Tobaza(C)On, "Behaviour of Free Conducting Particles and Their Role on Breakdown in Oils under AC and DC Voltages," Dielectric Materials, Measurements and Applications, Sixth International Conference on IET, Manchester, England, Sep, 1992, pp. 96-99.
- Mahmud S, Chen G and Golosnoy I O, "Experimental Studies of Influence of DC and AC Electric Fields on Bridging in Contaminated Transformer oil," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics & Electrical Insulation, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 152-160, Feb, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2014.004573
- Samat J. and D. Lacaze, "Micro-particles in Transformer Oil and Dielectric Withstand Effects," Alsthom Review, vol. 11, pp. 47-57, 1988.
- CIGRE Working Group 17 of Study Committe 12, "Effect of particles on transformer dielectric strength," CIGRE, 2000.
- F. Carraz, P. Rain and R. Tobazeon, "Particle Initiated Breakdown in Quasi Uniform Field in Transformer Oil," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics & Electrical Insulation, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 1052-1063, Dec, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/94.484307
- M. Krins, H. Borsi and E. Gockenbach, "Influence of Carbon Particles on the Breakdown and Partial Discharge Inception Voltage of Aged Mineral Based Transformer Oil," International Conference on Dielectric Materials, Measurements and Applications, IET, Bath, U.K., Sep, 1996, pp. 251-254.
- M. Krins, H. Borsi and E. Gockenbach, "Influence of Carbon Particles on the Breakdown Voltage of Transformer Oil," International Conference on Conduction and Breakdown in Dielectric Liquids, Roma, Italy, Jul, 1996, pp. 296-299.
- Tobazeon R., "Charges and Discharges of Conducting Particles in a Plane Oil Gap Subjected to a DC Voltage," International Conference on Conduction and Breakdown in Dielectric Liquids, Roma, Italy, Jul, 1996, pp. 309-312.
- Mahmud S, Chen G and Golosnoy I O, "Bridging in Contaminated Transformer Oil under DC and AC Electric Field," Journal of Physics: Conference Series, vol. 472, no. 1, pp. 012007, IOP Publishing, 2013.
- Wang X, Wang Z D and Noakhes J, "Motion of Conductive Particles and the Effect on AC Breakdown Strengths of Esters," IEEE International Conference on Dielectric Liquids (ICDL), Trondheim, Norway, Jun, 2011, pp. 1-4.
- Li J, Hu Q and Zhao X, "Partial-discharge Characteristics of Free Spherical Conducting Particles under AC Condition in Transformer Oils," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 538-546, Apr, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2103575
- Tianyan Jiang, A. Cavallini, G. C. Montanari and Jian Li, "Partial Discharge Activities of Pressboard/oil Insulation under AC plus DC Voltages," IEEE International Conference on Solid Dielectrics, Bologna, Italy, Jun-Jul, 2013, pp. 267-270.
- ASTM D877, "Standard Test Method for Dielectric Breakdown Voltage of Insulating Liquids Using Disk Electrodes," 2013.
- Martin, Daniel and Wang Z D, "Statistical Analysis of the AC Breakdown Voltages of Ester Based Transformer Oils," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 1044-1050, Aug, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2008.4591226
- Ding H Z, Wang Z D and Jarman P, "Dielectric Strength of Aged Transformer Oil Experimental Studies and Statistical Analysis of Breakdown Voltage," Proceeding of the 14th International Symposium on High Voltage Engineering, china, Aug, 2005, pp. 1-5.
- Birlasekaran S, "The Measurement of Charge on Single Particles in Transformer Oil," IEEE transactions on electrical insulation, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 1094-1103, Dec, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/14.108146
- Lebedev N. N. and I. P. Skalskaya, "Force Acting on a Conducting Sphere in Field of a Parallel Plate Condenser," Soviet Physics-Technical Physics, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 268, Jan, 1962.
- Zhou Yuanxiang, Sha Yanchao and Nie Dexin, "Partial Discharge Initiating Process of Transformer Oil under Combined AC and DC Voltage," High Voltage Apparatus, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 1163-1171, May, 2012.
- Choi C, Yatsuzuka K and Asano K, "The Behavior of Spherical Particle under Uniform Electric Field in Silicone Oil," IEEE Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, Victoria, Canada, Oct, 2000, pp. 77-80.
- Asano K, Choi C and Kamiya M, "The Behavior of a Spherical Particle under Non-uniform Electric Field in Silicone Oil," IEEE Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, Victoria, Canada, Oct, 2000, pp. 73-76.
- Birlasekaran S and Darveniza M, "Micro-discharges from Particles in Transformer Oil," IEEE Transactions on Electrical Insulation, vol. 4, no. EI-11, pp. 162-163, Dec, 1976.
- Sharbaugh A. H., J. C. Devins and S. J. Rzad, "Progress in the Field of Electric Breakdown in Dielectric Liquids," IEEE Transactions on Electrical Insulation, vol. 4, pp. 249-276, Aug, 1978.
- Mahmud S, Chen G and Golosnoy I O, "Bridging Phenomenon in Contaminated Transformer Oil," International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Diagnosis, Bali, Indonesia, Sep, 2012, pp. 180-183.
- Partial discharge and breakdown characteristics of moving transformer oil contaminated by metallic particles vol.25, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2018.007182