- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Temperature Measurement of Photovoltaic Modules Using Non-Contact Infrared System
- Jovanovic, Ugljesa (University of Nis, Faculty of Electronic Engineering) ;
- Mancic, Dragan (University of Nis, Faculty of Electronic Engineering) ;
- Jovanovic, Igor (University of Nis, Faculty of Electronic Engineering) ;
- Petrusic, Zoran (University of Nis, Faculty of Electronic Engineering)
- Received : 2015.12.16
- Accepted : 2016.10.24
- Published : 2017.03.01
This paper presents temperature measurement of solar photovoltaic modules using the custom-made system composed of an infrared temperature sensor and a microcontroller. The obtained measurement results are processed, displayed and stored on a PC using the custom-made virtual instrument. The proposed system overcomes some of the problems related to the contact sensor application, and at the same time offers accurate readings and better flexibility. The proposed system is especially suitable for applications where the cost is a limiting factor in the choice of measuring system. The conducted analysis and the obtained results have shown an excellent accuracy of the proposed system in comparison to a high quality thermal imaging camera used as the reference instrument.
Supported by : Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia
- A. J. Carr and T. L. Pryor, "A comparison of the performance of different PV module types in temperate climates," Solar Energy, vol. 76, no. 1-3, pp. 285-294, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2003.07.026
- Chen-Ching Ting and Wei-Shi Chao, "Measuring temperature dependence of photoelectric conversion efficiency with dye-sensitized solar cells," Measurement, vol. 43, pp. 1623-1627, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2010.09.025
- Tom Markvart and Luis Castaner, Solar Cells: Materials, Manufacture and Operation, Elsevier, Oxford, Great Britain, 2005.
- Sang-Hoey Lee, Jae-Eon Kim and Han-Ju Cha, "Design and Implementation of Photovoltaic Power Conditioning System using a Current-based Maximum Power Point Tracking," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 606-613, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.4.606
- HYM-260W Series Datasheet, Seasun, Changzhou Jiangsu, China, 2010.
- E. Skoplaki, A. G. Boudouvis and J. A. Palyvos, "A simple correlation for the operating temperature of photovoltaic modules of arbitrary mounting," Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells, vol. 92, no. 11, pp. 1393-1402, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2008.05.016
- E. Skoplaki, J. A. Palyvos, "Operating temperature of photovoltaic modules: A survey of pertinent correlations," Renewable Energy, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 23-29, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2008.04.009
- Stefan Krauter and Alexander Preiss, "Comparison of module temperature measurement methods," in Proceedings of the 34th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (PVSC), Philadelphia USA, pp. 333-338, 2009.
- Vincent P. A. Lonij, Adria E. Brooks, James Greenberg, Sean Orsburn, Alexander D. Cronin and Gabe Torres, "Field performance measurements of new and traditional PV technologies," in Proceedings of the World Renewable Energy Forum 2012, Denver, USA, pp. 342-348, 2012.
- Platinum Silicone Patch Sensors (RTF4), Labfacility.
- Amal F. Abd El-Gawad, "Suggested Temperature Monitoring System for Distribution Transformers by Using Microcontroller Scheme," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 2099-2104, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.5.2099
- Rustu Eke, A. Sertap Kavasoglu and Nese Kavasoglu, "Design and implementation of a low-cost multichannel temperature measurement system for photovoltaic modules," Measurement, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 1499-1509, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2012.02.029
- Miguel Angel Martinez Bohorquez, Juan Manuel Enrique Gomez and Jose Manuel Andujar Marquez, "A new and inexpensive temperature-measuring system: Application to photovoltaic solar facilities," Solar Energy, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 883-890, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2008.12.007
- Marko Jankovec and Marko Topic, "Intercomparison of temperature sensors for outdoor monitoring of photovoltaic modules," Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, vol. 135, no. 3, SOL-12-1178, 2013.
- Hocine Belmili, Salah Med Ait Cheikh, Mourad Haddadi and Cherif Larbes, "Design and development of a data acquisition system for photovoltaic modules characterization," Renewable Energy, vol. 35, pp. 1484-1492, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2010.01.007
- Jacob Fraden, Handbook of Modern Sensors: Physics, Designs, and Applications, Springer, New York, USA, 2010.
- Qingmin Li, Haoxi Cong, Jinyuan Xing, Bo Qi and Chengrong Li, "On-line Temperature Monitoring of the GIS Contacts Based on Infrared Sensing Technology," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 1385-1393, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.4.1385
- MLX90614 Datasheet, Rev 008, Melexis, Ieper, Belgium, 2013.
- Susan A. O'Shaughnessy, Martin Hebel, Steve Evett, Paul Colaizzi, "Developing a Wireless Infrared Thermometer with a Narrow Field of View," Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 59-68, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compag.2010.12.017
- Klaus-Dieter Gruner, Principles of non-contact temperature measurement, Raytek 2003.
- Thermal imaging camera: a fast and reliable tool for testing solar panels, Flir, Technical note.
- T. Nunak, K. Rakrueangdet, N. Nunak and T. Suesut, "Thermal Image Resolution on Angular Emissivity Measurements using Infrared Thermography," in Proceedings of the International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer Scientists (IMECS), Hong Kong, China, 2015.
- Pablo R. Muniz, Shirley P. N. Cani and Robson da S. Magalhaes, "Influence of Field of View of Thermal Imagers and Angle of View on Temperature Measurements by Infrared Thermovision," IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 729-733, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2013.2287003
- Morgan D. Bazilian, Harry Kamalanathan, D. K. Prasad, "Thermographic analysis of a building integrated photovoltaic system," Renewable Energy, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 449-461, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-1481(01)00142-2
- Jurij Kurnik, Marko Jankovec, Kristijan Brecl and Marko Topic, "Outdoor testing of PV module temperature and performance under different mounting and operational conditions," Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells, vol. 95, issue 1, pp. 373-376, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solmat.2010.04.022
- Thomas Nordmann and Luzi Clavadetscher, "Understanding temperature effects on PV system performance," in Proceedings of the 3rd World Conference on Photovoltaic Energy Conversion, Osaka, Japan, vol. 3, pp. 2243-2246, 2003.