- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Empirical Modeling of Steering System for Autonomous Vehicles
- Kim, Ju-Young (Chungbuk Engineering Team, LG Uplus Corp.) ;
- Min, Kyungdeuk (ADAS Engineering Design Team, Research & Development Division, Hyundai Motor Group) ;
- Kim, Young Chol (School of Electronic Eng., Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2016.02.02
- Accepted : 2016.12.26
- Published : 2017.03.01
To design an automatic steering controller with high performance for autonomous vehicle, it is necessary to have a precise model of the lateral dynamics with respect to the steering command input. This paper presents an empirical modeling of the steering system for an autonomous vehicle. The steering system here is represented by three individual transfer function models: a steering wheel actuator model from the steering command input to the steering angle of the shaft, a dynamic model between the steering angle and the yaw rate of the vehicle, and a dynamic model between the steering command and the lateral deviation of vehicle. These models are identified using frequency response data. Experiments were performed using a real vehicle. It is shown that the resulting identified models have been well fitted to the experimental data.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- J. Ackermann, J. Guldner, W. Sienel, R. Steinhauser, and V. I. Utkin, "Linear and Nonlinear Controller Design for Robust Automatic Steering," IEEE Trans. on Control System Technology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 132-142, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/87.370719
- P. Falcone, F. Borrelli, J. Asgari, H.E. Tseng, and D. Hrovat "Predictive Active Steering Control for Autonomous Vehicle Systems," IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 566-580, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCST.2007.894653
- Y. C. Kim, K. Yun, and K. Min, "Automatic guidance control of an articulated-all wheel steered vehicle," Vehicle System Dynamics, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 456-474, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1080/00423114.2013.831458
- D. Minoiu Enache, M. Netto, S. Mammar, and B. Lusetti, "Driver steering assistance for lane departure avoidance," Control Engineering Practice, vol. 17, pp. 642-651, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conengprac.2008.10.012
- M. Alirezaei, M. Corno, A. Ghaffari, and R. Kazemi, "A Robust Steering Assistance System for Road Departure Avoidance," IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, vol. 61, no. 5, pp. 1953-1960, 2012 https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2012.2191001
- R. Rajamani, Vehicle Dynamics and Control, Springer Verlag, 2005.
- K. Min and Y.C. Kim, "Modeling and Validation of 16 DOF Full Vehicle Model for Guidance Control," International Journal of Vehicle Systems Modeling and Testing, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 392-416, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJVSMT.2015.073043
- Y. C. Kim, K. H. Yun, K. Min, Y. S. Byun, and J. K. Mok, "A Lateral Dynamic Model of an All Wheel Steered Bimodal Vehicle," in Proc. of Int'l Conf. on Control, Automation, and Systems, pp. 1734-1737, Seoul Korea, Oct. 2007
- R. Johansson, System Modeling and Identification, Prentice-Hall International Inc., New Jersey, 1993.
- A. Datta, et al. 5, "Design and Implementation of a Controller for the SBW system," Technical Report, University of Southern California, 1989.
- J. Kim, Controller Design for the Steering System of Autonomous Vehicle, MS thesis, Chungbuk National University, Korea, Feb. 2014.