- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Economic Evaluation of ESS in Urban Railway Substation for Peak Load Shaving Based on Net Present Value
- Park, Jong-young (Smart Station Research Team, Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Heo, Jae-Haeng (Power System Research Team, Master's Space Co. Ltd.) ;
- Shin, Seungkwon (Smart Station Research Team, Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Hyungchul (Smart Station Research Team, Korea Railroad Research Institute)
- Received : 2016.07.18
- Accepted : 2017.01.11
- Published : 2017.03.01
In this paper, we estimate the economic benefits of Energy Storage Systems (ESSs) for peak load shaving in an urban railway substation using the annual cost. The annual investment cost of ESSs is estimated using Net Present Value (NPV) and compared with the cost reduction of electricity by the ESS. The optimal capacities of the battery and Power Converting System (PCS) are determined for peak load shaving. The optimal capacity of the ESS and the peak load shaving is determined to maximize the profit by the ESS. The proposed method was applied to real load data in an urban railway substation, and the results show that electric power costs can be reduced. Other aspects of the ESS, such as the lifetime and unit price of the battery, are also investigated economically.
Supported by : Korea Railroad Research Institute
- H. Bludszuweit and J. A. Dominguez-Navarro, "A probabilistic method for energy storage sizing based on wind power forecast uncertainty," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 1651-1658, Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2010.2089541
- Y. M. Atwa and E. F. El-Saadany, "Optimal allocation of ESS in distribution systems with a high penetration of wind energy," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 1815-1822, Nov. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2010.2045663
- M. Korpaas, A. T. Holen, and R. Hildrum, "Operation and sizing of energy storage for wind power plants in a market system," Int. J. Elect. Power Energy Syst., vol. 25, pp. 599-606, Oct. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-0615(03)00016-4
- IEEE Guide for Design, Operation, and Integration of Distributed Resource Island Systems With Electric Power Systems, IEEE Standard 1547.4-2011, 2011.
- C. Chen, S. Duan, T. Cai, B. Liu, and G. Hu, "Optimal allocation and economic analysis of energy storage system in microgrids," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 2762-2773, Oct. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2116808
- C. Abbey and G. Joos, "A stochastic optimization approach to rating of energy storage systems in winddiesel isolated grids," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 418-426, Feb. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2008.2004840
- S. X. Chen, H. B. Gooi, and M. Q. Wang, "Sizing of energy storage for microgrids," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 142-151, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2011.2160745
- F. A. Chacra, P. Bastard, G. Fleury, and R. Clavreul, "Impact of energy storage costs on economical performance in a distribution substation," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 684-691, May 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2005.846091
- R.-C. Leou, "An economic analysis model for the energy storage system applied to a distribution substation," Int. J. Elect. Power Energy Syst., vol. 34, pp. 132-137, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2011.09.016
- S. G. Deshpande and L. J. Kerofsky, "System and method for energy storage management," US Patent No. 2013/0274935 A1, 2013.
- R. Kerestes, G. Reed, and A. Sparacino, "Economic analysis of grid level energy storage for the application of load leveling," Power and Energy Society General Meeting, pp. 1-9, 2012 IEEE, July 2012.
- A. Paice, A. Oudalov, and T. Von Hoff, "Method for operating an energy storage system," US Patent No.8493030 / European Patent No. EP2190097, 2013.
- C. Venu, Y. Riffonneau, S. Bacha, and Y. Baghzouz, "Battery storage system sizing in distribution feeders with distributed photovoltaic systems," PowerTech, 2009 IEEE Bucharest, pp. 1-5, June 2009.
- A. Oudalov, R. Cherkaoui, and A. Beguin, "Sizing and optimal operation of battery energy storage system for peak shaving application," Power Tech, 2007 IEEE Lausanne, pp. 621-625, July 2007.
- Ahmed S. A. Awad, Tarek H. M. EL-Fouly, and Magdy M. A. Salama, "Optimal ESS allocation for benefit maximization in distribution networks," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Issue 99, pp. 1-11, Nov. 2015.
- Jong-young Park, Hosung Jung, Hyungchul Kim, and Seungkwon Shin, "Capacity determination of ESS for peak load shaving based on the actual measurement of loads in the substation of urban railway," Trans.of KIEE, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 860-865, May 2014.