- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of Acupuncture Combined with Wooden Neck Pillow Self-exercise Program on Cervical Curvature Measurement Methods and Deep Flexor Muscle Strength
경침 자가 운동 프로그램을 병행한 침 치료가 경추 만곡도와 심부 굴곡근 근력 변화에 미치는 영향
- Kwon, Jeonggook (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Dongguk University) ;
- Keum, Dongho (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Dongguk University)
- Received : 2016.12.24
- Accepted : 2017.01.05
- Published : 2017.01.31
Objectives This study was designed to identify the effect of acupuncture combined with wooden neck pillow self-exercise program (WSP). Methods 25 eligible subjects with chronic neck pain were recruited from September 2015 to August 2016. Subjects were treated by acupuncture twice a week for 4 weeks, also were educated WSP and exercised every day for 4 weeks. They were assessed using PI-NRS, NDI and the maximum muscle strength of deep cervical flexor muscles (DCF) before and after treatment. Also the Cobb's angle (C1-C7), Ishihara index, Park method were assessed for evaluating the radiographical changes. Variables were compared using paired t-test. And correlates analysis was used for analyzing relationship between differentials in the maximum muscle strength of DCF and differentials in cervical spine curvature measurement methods. Results Among the 25 subjects, 4 subjects were lost to follow-up or excluded in accordance with the criteria. Significant differences on NRS, NDI and the maximum muscle strength of DCF were seen after treatment (p<0.001). In radiological finding, cervical spine curvature measurement methods were significantly increased (p<0.001, p<0.05, p<0.05). Differentials in the maximum muscle strength of DCF significantly correlates to differentials in Ishihara index (R=0.479, p<0.05). Conclusions Acupuncture combined with WSP may decrease neck pain intensity and associated disability, and also increase the muscle strength of DCF and cervical lordosis, in patients with chronic neck pain. Especially, Improving the muscle strength of DCF has a relationship with improving Ishihara index. However, due to the design of this study, this treatment can not be compared with other treatments. Future randomized project should be needed.
Chronic neck pain;Wooden neck pillow;Deep cervical flexor muscle;Cervical lordosis;Ishihara index
- Zhaohui L, Xiaoping Z, Xiaobo Y, Wenbin F, Aiping L. Assessment of a traditional acupuncture therapy for chronic neck pain: A pilot randomised controlled study. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2011;19:26-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2010.11.005
- Wilke J, Vogt L, Niederer D, Hubscher M, Rothmayr J, Ivkovic D, Rickert M, Banzer W. Short-term effects of acupuncture and stretching on myofascial trigger point pain of the neck: a blinded, placebo-controlled RCT. Complement Ther Med. 2014;22(5):835-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2014.09.001
- Tellez C, Lacomba M, Gallardo I, Munoz M, Moral O, Girbes E, Valiente L, Falla D. Effectiveness of dry needling for chronic nonspecific neck pain: a randomized, single-blinded, clinical trial. Pain. 2016;157(9):1905-17. https://doi.org/10.1097/j.pain.0000000000000591
- Kim JC, Jeon HS, Yi CH, Kwon OY, Oh DW. Strength and endurance of the deep neck flexors of industrial workers with and without neck pain. Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea. 2007;26(4):25-31. https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2007.26.4.025
- Micheal A, Scott C, Brian G. NASM essential of corrective exercise training. Seoul:Han-Mi. 2015:217-25.
- McGregora A, Wragg P, Bull A, Gedroyc W. Cervical spine mobilizations in subjects with chronic neck problems: An interventional MRI study. Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation. 2005;18:21-8. https://doi.org/10.3233/BMR-2005-181-204
- Kim TH, Goo BO, Yun SW, Lee JH. Effect of suboccipital muscle inhibition and combination technique on the flexibility of hamstring in individuals with shortened hamstring. Journal of Korea Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation Association. 2015;13(1):31-7.
- Katsushi T, Motoaki M, Akira K, Chiyuki N. Relationship between cervical curvature index (Ishihara) and cervical spine angle(C2-7). J Orthop Sci. 2001;6:223-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s007760100038
- Ishihara A. Roentgenographic studies on the normal pattern of the cervical curvature. Nihon seikeigeka gakkai zasshi. 1968;42(11):1033-44.
- Webb R, Brammah T, Lunt M, Urwin M, Allison T, Symmons D. Prevalence and predictors of intense, chronic and disabling neck and back pain in the UK general population. Spine. 2003;28:1195-202.
- Tsang S, Szeto G, Lee R. Altered spinal kinematics and muscle recruitment pattern of the cervical and thoracic spine in people with chronic neck pain during functional task. J. Electromyogr. Kinesiol. 2014;24:104-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2013.10.011
- Brotzman B, Manske C. Clinical orthopaedic rehabilitation - an evidence-based approach 3rd ed. Seoul: Han-Mi. 2011:455-65.
- Jung DY. The relationship of cervical spine curvature and neck pain. Master's dissertation, Kyung-Hee University, Seoul, Korea, 2006:19,24.
- Hiratzka J, Ching A, Hart R. Degenerative Cervical kyphosis : anatomy, biomechanics and etiology. Semin Spine Surg. 2011;23:170-2. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.semss.2011.04.002
- Oh HJ, Hwang BJ, Choi YR. Effects of cervical joint mobilization on the forward head posture and neck disability indexes. J. Korean. Soc. Radiol. 2014;8(2):89-96. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2014.8.2.89
- Gross A, Langevin P, Burnie S, Bedard-Brochu M, Empey B, Dugas E, Faber-Dobrescu M, Andres C, Graham N, Goldsmith CH, Bronfort G, Hoving JL, LeBlanc F. Manipulation and mobilization for neck disorders. Cochrane review. 2015.
- Kim BB, Lee JH, Jeong HJ, Cynn HS. Effects of suboccipital release with craniocervical flexion exercise on craniocervical alignment and extrinsic cervical muscle activity in subjects with forward head posture. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 2016;30:31-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2016.05.007
- Park KJ, Kim BJ, Lee SJ, Kang JH, Park MK. The case report of chuna treatment on neck pain patients with kyphotic cervical curvature. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2012;7(1):95-101.
- Oh WK, Lee EG, Shin BC. Clinical effect of bong chuna manual therapy and acupunture treatment for improving cervical curvature of turtle neck syndrome and measurement method of radiography. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2009;19(1):113-24.
- Lee SD. Increased cervical lordosis after deep acupuncture in patients with neck pain : Nonrandomized clinical control trial. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2004;21(6):195-207.
- Lee HJ, Park JO, Oh MS. The comparative study on the effect of trigger point treatment, self-exercise treatment, trigger point - self-exercise cooperative treatment for neck pain caused by traffic accidents. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2014;24(2):131-40.
- Park JW, Lee JH, Kwon JG, Keum DH, Two cases report of chronic neck pain patients with kyphotic cervical curvature measured by radiography. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2015;25(4):139-46. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2015.25.4.139
- Lee CH, Jeon DH, Lee EJ, Oh MS. The study of effectiveness of wooden pillow and comparion evaluation of diagnosis method on straighening of cervical curvature patient. Research onstitute of Korean medicone. 2016;24(2):1-16.
- Shim SY, Park HJ, Lee JM, Lee HS. An overview of pain measurements. The Korean Journal of Meridian & Acupoint. 2007;24(2):77-97.
- Jung DY, Chung SH, Lee JS. An analysis of relationship among cervical spine curvature measurement methods. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2005;15(4):65-76.
- Lee HS, Cha SJ, Park HJ, Seo JC, Park JB, Lee HJ. Revised standards for reporting intervention in clinical trial of acupuncture: extending the CONSORT statement. Korean Journal of Acupuncture. 2010;27(3):1-23.
- Jull A, O'Leary P, Falla L. Clinical assessment of the deep cervical flexor muscles : the craniocervical flexion test. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. 2008;31(7):525-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2008.08.003
- Neumann D. Neumann kinesiology : Kinesiology of the Musculoskeletal System. Seoul:E PUBLIC. 2011:327-31.
- Calais-Germain, Blandine. Anatomy of movement. Seoul:Youngmoon. 2009:77-88.
- Mayoux-Benhamou, Revel M, Vallee C, Roudier R, Barbet JP, Bargy F. Longus colli has a posturel function on cervical curvature. Surg Radiol Anat. 1994;16(4):367-71. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01627655
- Kim DM, Ha SY, Cho SY, Kim YS, Nam SS. The study about the correlation between cervical hypolordosis and neck pain. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2008;25(2):1-8.
- Yoo JH. Analysis of cervical kyphosis : lateral radiographic study. Master's dissertation, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea, 2008:1.
- Grob D, Frauenfelder H, Mannion A. The association between cervical spine curvature and neck pain. Eur Spine. 2007;16:669-78. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-006-0254-1
- Lee HG, Joen TD, Hong SY. The study of comparison about pain and fatigue according to cervical spine curvature of patient with neck pain. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2010;20(1):133-9.
- Sahrmman S. Movement system impairment syndromes of the extremities, cervical and thoracic spine. Seoul:Elsevier. 2011:65-9.
- Shin DC, Shin WS, Song CH. The effects of a deep cervical flexion exercise for sedentary workers with VDT syndrome. Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea. 2008;27(4):59-64.
- Domenech A, Sizer S, Dedrick S, McGalliard K, Brissmee J. The deep neck flexor endurance test: normative data scores in healthy adults. American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2011;3:105-10.
- O'Leary S, Falla D, Jull A, Vicenzino B. Muscle specificity in tests of cervical flexor muscle performance. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 2007;17:35-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2005.10.006
- Jull A, Falla D, Vicenzino B, Hodges W. The effect of therapeutic exercise on activation of the deep cervical flexor muscles in people with chronic neck pain. Manual Therapy. 2009;14:696-701. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2009.05.004
- Shin DC. The effects of a deep cervical flexion exercise on neck-shoulder pain, muscle strengthening, and cervical alignment in sedentary workers. Master's Dissertation, Sahm-yook University, Seoul, Korea, 2007:46.
- Kazunori I, Yasukazu K, Satoko H, Hiroshi K. Randomised trial of trigger point acupuncture compared with other acupuncture for treatment of chronic neck pain. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2007;15:172-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2006.05.003
- Gerber LH, Shah J, Rosenberger W, Armstrong K, Turo D, Otto P, Heimur J, Thaker N, Sikdar S. Dry needling alters trigger points in the upper trapezius muscle and reduces pain in subjects with chronic myofascial pain. American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2015;7(7):711-8.