- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Case Report of Lumbar Spinal Stenosis Improved with Diarrhea-Inducing Treatment by Gamsui-mal and Korean Medicine Treatment
감수말 공하법을 병행한 한방치료로 호전된 요추 척추관 협착증 환자의 증례보고
- Received : 2016.11.02
- Accepted : 2016.11.18
- Published : 2017.01.31
The purpose of this study is to report the effectiveness of diarrhea-inducing treatment by Gamsui-mal for lumbar spinal stenosis. During hospitalization four patients with lumbar spinal stenosis were treated with diarrhea-inducing treatment by Gamsui-mal and acupuncture, herbal medicine, moxibustion, cupping treatment, Bee-venom pharmacopuncture. Before treatment, we explained in detail about diarrhea-inducing treatment by Gamsui-mal and patients agreed with treatment. The symptoms appeared in patients of diarrhea, abdominal pain, and vomiting in the treatment process. We evaluated the degree of improvement by visual analogue scale (VAS), oswestry disability index (ODI). After treatment, we found that pain was reduced and patient's symptoms were improved by visual analogue scale (VAS), oswestry disability index (ODI) score. The results show that diarrhea-inducing treatment by Gamsui-mal was rapidly improving symptoms. Further studies are needed to clarify the effect of diarrhea-inducing treatment by Gamsui-mal.
Lumbar spinal stenosis;Diarrhea-inducing treatment;Gamsui;Visual analogue scale (VAS);Oswestry Disability Index (ODI)
- The Korean Orthopedic Association. Orthopedics. 6th ed. Seoul: Choisin Medical Publishing Co. 2006:637-8.
- Ciol MA, Deyo RA, Howell E, Kleiff S. An assessment of surgery for spinal stenosis: time trends, geographic variations, complication, reoperations. J AM Geriatr Soc: 1996;44:285-90. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1996.tb00915.x
- Zhang Anzhen, Wu Chunfa. Orthopedics Science. 6th ed.: People sanitary Publishing Co. 1996:564-71.
- Chen Guiting. Practical Integrative Diagnosis Therapy. First Edition, Beijing: Chinese Medicine Science and Technology Publishing Co. 1991:1603.
- Lee GJ, Lee BY, Jang G, Song YK, Lim HH. The Case Report of Lumbar Spinal Stenosis Treated with Bee Venom Acupuncture Therapy. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2007;2(1):49-58.
- Heo M, An JJ, Jo HK, Yoo HR, Kim YS, Seol IC. A Clinical Study of Patient with Lumbar Stenosis and Leg Length Inequality by Acupuncture Treating and Chuna Treating to A-Shi Point of Iliopsoas Muscle. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2007;2(2):69-78.
- Ha IH, Park WS, Woo I, Kim HN, Koh DH, Yoon YS. Correlation between Horizontal Visual Analogue Scale, Vertical Visual Analogue Scale and Numerical Rating Scale for Pain Measurement - in the Hospitalized Patients Who Complain Lower Back Pain and Low Extremity Pain. The Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2006;16(4):125-33.
- Fairbank JCT, Davis J, Couper J, O'Brien J. The Oswestry Disability Questionnaire. Physiotherapy. 1980;66:271-3.
- Jeffrey N. Katz, Mitchel B. Harris. Lumbar Spinal Stenosis. N Engl J Med. 2008;358:818-25. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMcp0708097
- Stephen I Esses. Text of Spinal Disorders. Seoul: Koonja Publishing Co. 2002:217-29.
- Johnsson KE, Rosen I, Uden A. The natural course of lumbar spinal stenosis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1992;279:82-6.
- College of Korean Medicine, Herbology compilation committee. Herbology. Younglimsa. 2004:292.
- Kim JB, Kyung HS, Kang H. Anti-inflammatory Effect of Euphorbiae kansui Radix Extract in Lipopolysaccharidestimulated Mouse Peritoneal Macrophages. J Physiol & Pathol Korean Med. 2014;28(6):593-600.
- Kim EY, Kim JW. The effect of Hyungbangdojucksan-Gami and Kamsuchunilhwan on the obesity in the Rats. J of Sasang Const Med. 2000;12(2):184-94.
- Park JH, Seo BI. A philological study on poisoning of Euphorbiae Kansui Radix. The journal of jeahan Oriental Medical Academy. 2009;7(1):37-50.
- Wang Bing remark. Huangjenaegyeong-somun. Beijing: Chinese Medicine Historic Sites Publishing Co. 2003:22.
- Zhang Jongjeong. Yumunsachin. Seoul. Dong-Guk University Publishing Co. 2001:110-1, 236-73, 307.
- Kim BW. Anti-inflammatory effect of Jakyak-gamcho-tang. Korean J Orient Int Med. 2010;31(2):365-71.
- Lee YJ, Kim EK, Kim HY, Yoon JJ, Lee SM, Lee GM, Kang DG, Lee HS. Therapeutic Effect of Doinseunggitang on Diabetic Vascular Dysfunction. Official Journal of The Korean Medicine Society For The Herbal Formula Study. 2013;21(1):119-30.
- Han KW, Kim EW, Woo JH, Lee SJ, Lee JS, Nam JH, Kim KW, Koh KH, Yoo IS. Clinical Observation on 119 Patients with Lumbar Spinal Stenosis Treated with Bee Venom Pharmacopuncture Therapy. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2011;28(3):21-31.
- Jeong JK, Park WH, Cha YY. Comparative Analysis of Common Herbs for Pain Related Disease between Yak-Jing and Textbook of Herbology. The Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2015;25(1):53-61.
- Choi HW, Kim YE. Effects of Abdominal Muscle and Pressure on the Spine Stability during Upright Stance Posture - For the Case where Intervertebral Disc Plays the Role of Mechanoreceptor. Journal of the Korean Society for Precision Engineering. 2011;28(1):115-22.
- Hodges PW, Eriksson AE, Shirley D, Gandevia SC. Lumbar Spine Stiffness is Increased by Elevation of Intra-abdominal Pressure. Journal of Biomechanics. 2005;38(9):1873-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2004.08.016
- Lee SW, Kwon OJ, Na HY, Ahn YM, Lee BC, Ahn SY. Retrospective Study for Safety of Xie-xia Fa (瀉下法) by Euphorbia kansui Radix: Analysis of Clinical Features, Liver and Kidney Functions. J. Int. Korean Med. 2014;35(4):472-82.