- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Hemifacial Spasm Treated with Acupuncture and Electro-acupuncture in 2 Patients: Case Report
반축얼굴경련증 환자 2례에 대한 침 및 침전기 자극술 치험례
- Received : 2016.12.03
- Accepted : 2016.12.14
- Published : 2017.01.31
Hemifacial spasm is a facial nerve disorder characterized by episodic involuntary facial muscle contraction. In this study, the effect of Acupuncture and Electro- acupuncture therapy for two patient with hemifascial spasm were evaluated. Two patients with hemifacial spasm were treated with Acupuncture and Electro-acupuncture and evaluated with Scott's scale and Treatment satisfaction grade. In Case 1, the grade of spasm intensity classified by Scott's description improved from 3 to 1. In Case 2, the grade improved from 4 to 2. Patients were satisfied with the treatment in both cases. Acupuncture and Electro-acupuncture seem to be effective in the treatment of hemifacial spasm.
- Valls-Sole J. Facial nerve palsy and hemifacial spasm. Handb Clin Neurol. 2013;115:367-80.
- Auger RG, Whisnant JP. Hemifacial spasm in Rochester and Olmsted County, Minnesota, 1960 to 1984. Arch Neurol. 1990;47(11):1233-4. https://doi.org/10.1001/archneur.1990.00530110095023
- Nilsen B, Le KD, Dietrichs E. Prevalence of hemifacial spasm in Oslo, Norway. Neurology. 2004;63(8):1532-3. https://doi.org/10.1212/01.WNL.0000142080.85228.E8
- Wang A, Jankovic J. Hemifacial spasm: clinical findings and treatment. Muscle Nerve. 1998;21(12):1740-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4598(199812)21:12<1740::AID-MUS17>3.0.CO;2-V
- Rosenstengel C, Matthes M, Baldauf J, Fleck S, Schroeder H. Hemifacial Spasm: Conservative Surgical Treatment Options. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2012;109(41):667-73.
- Dannenbaum M, Lega BC, Suki D, Harper RL, Yoshor D. Microvascular decompression for hemifacial spasm: long-term results from 114 operations performed without neurophysiological monitoring. J Neurosurg. 2008;109(3):410-5. https://doi.org/10.3171/JNS/2008/109/9/0410
- Peeraully T, Hameed S, Cheong PT, Pavanni R, Hussein K, Fook-Chong SM, Tan EK. Complementary therapies in hemifacial spasm and comparison with other movement disorders. Int J Clin Pract. 2013;67(8):801-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcp.12151
- Wang L, Hu X. Clinical Features and Treatment Status of Hemifacial Spasm in China. Chin Med J. 2014;127(5):845-9.
- Kim TW, Kim HE, Cho MJ, Kang YH, Lee JD. The Clinical Observation on 3 Cases of Patients with Hemifacial Spasm Treated by Dong-Si Acupuncture Therapy. The J of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2003;20(1):218-27.
- Academic Committee of Korean Institute of Pharmacopuncture. Pharmacopuncture. Seoul ;Elsevierkorea. 2008:3-5, 200-8.
- Scott AB. Oculinum users manual. San Francisco ;Smith Kettlwell Institute; 1987.
- Jo NY, Kim JH, Roh JD, Clinical Review of the Effects of Hominis Placental Pharmacopuncture in the Treatment of Facial Spasm Patients. J Pharmacopuncture. 2013;16(3):52-7. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2013.16.019
- Anna Maria Carlsson. Assessment of chronic pain. I. Aspects of the reliability and validity of the visual analogue scale. Pain. 1983;16(1):87-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(83)90088-X
- Chaudhry N, Srivastava A, Joshi L. Hemifacial spasm: The past, present and future. J Neurol Sci. 2015;356(1-2):27-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2015.06.032
- Tan EK, Jankovic J. Psychogenic hemifacial spasm. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2001;13(3):380-4. https://doi.org/10.1176/jnp.13.3.380
- Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. The acupuncture and moxibution Medicine. Seoul : Jipmoondang. 2014:629.
- Hu J. Acupuncture Treatment of Facial Spasm. J Tradit Chin Med. 2007;27(4):307-9.
- Heo J, Lee EK, Kim JH, Kim YI. The Clinical Observation on 10 cases of patients with Hemifacial Spasm Treated by Soyeom Pharmacupuncture at G20(Pungji). J Pharmacopuncture 2010;13(2):121-9.
- Wang QP, Bai M, Lei D. Effectiveness of acupuncture in treatment of facial spasm: a meta-analysis. Altern Ther Health Med. 2012;18(3):45-52.