- Volume 46 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Activities of Sulgidduk (Rice Cake) Added with Chia (Salvia hispanica L.) Seed Powder
치아시드 분말을 첨가한 설기떡의 품질 특성 및 항산화 활성
- O, Hyeonbin (Department of Food and Nutrition, Korea University) ;
- Choi, Byung Bum (Major in Food and Nutrition, Division of Food Science & Culinary Arts, Shinhan University) ;
- Kim, Young-Soon (Department of Food and Nutrition, Korea University)
- Received : 2016.06.22
- Accepted : 2016.10.26
- Published : 2017.01.31
Chia seed (Salvia hispanica L.) originated from Central America is a highly nutritious food containing large amounts of linolenic acid, dietary fiber, and protein. This study investigated the quality properties and antioxidant activities of Sulgidduk prepared with chia seed powder as a functional material. Freeze-dried chia seed powder was replaced with 0, 1, 3, 5, and 7% of rice flour. The addition of chia seed powder did not affect water content, whereas the pH value of the chia seed group decreased as compared to the control. For color measurements, a and b values increased as the amount of chia seed powder increased, whereas L value decreased. Hardness and chewiness of Sulgidduk with chia seed powder were lower than those of the control, whereas springiness of the chia seed group was higher than that of the control. Cohesiveness was not significantly different in all samples. According to retrogradation analysis based on changes in hardness during storage, it was confirmed that addition of chia seed powder inhibited aging of Sulgidduk. Retrogradation of CSP5 was the slowest. Consumer acceptability analysis did not show significant differences in all samples. Total polyphenol and flavonoid contents tended to significantly increase as chia seed content increased. DPPH and ABTS radical scavenging activities of Sulgidduk were also elevated due to addition of chia seeds. From the results, addition of chia seed softened texture, inhibited aging, and enhanced antioxidant activities of Sulgidduk. It is concluded that addition of 5% chia seed powder, which showed high effectiveness for aging, is the most suitable for commercialization.
- Kim CK. 2014. The changes in South Korean agrifood system: how the food production and consumption have changed over time?. Korean Regional Sociology 15(2): 191-218.
- Food Grain Consumption Survey Report 2014. 2015. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=101&tblId=DT_1ED0001&conn_path=I2 (accessed May 2016).
- Kim HS, Yang JS. 2006. A study on the connection of the Korean rice cake and exorcism. Asian Comparative Folklore 31: 49-94.
- Park JH. 2014. Effects of rice flours prepared with different milling methods on quality of sulgidduk. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 43: 1742-1748. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.11.1742
- Han SY, Han GJ, Park HY. 2012. Study on the application of indigenous pigmented rice for Garaedduk adapted with mechanically impacting technology. Korean J Food Cook Sci 28: 17-24. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2012.28.1.017
- Shin AC, Song JC. 2004. Supression functions of retrogradation in Korean rice cake (garaeduk) by various surfactants. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33: 1218-1223. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.7.1218
- Kim SS, Chung HY. 2007. Effects of carbohydrate materials on retarding retrogradation of a Korean rice cake (Karedduk). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36: 1320-1325. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.10.1320
- Park JW, Park HJ, Song JC. 2003. Suppression effect of maltitol on retrogradation of Korean rice cake (Karedduk). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32: 175-180. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.2.175
- Kim YA, Shim HR, Rho J. 2015. Effect of oligosaccharides on retrogradation of sulgidduk. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 25: 513-524. https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2015.6.25.3.513
- Kim HK. 2006. Status of domestic functional foods. Kor J Hort Sci Technol 24(suppl): 33-44.
- Lee HJ, Kim SY, Park JH, Kim RY, Park E. 2013. Changes in the antioxidative and antigenotoxic effects after the cooking process of sulgidduk containing pine needle juice. Korean J Food Cook Sci 29: 453-462. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2013.29.5.453
- Choi WS, Choi MK, Chae KY. 2011. Quality characteristics of Sulgidduk by the addition of apricot seed powder. Korean J Food Cook Sci 27: 653-659. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2011.27.6.653
- Borneo R, Aguirre A, Leon AE. 2010. Chia (Salvia hispanica L) gel can be used as egg or oil replacer in cake formulations. J Am Diet Assoc 110: 946-949. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2010.03.011
- Reyes-Caudillo E, Tecante A, Valdivia-Lopez MA. 2008. Dietary fibre content and antioxidant activity of phenolic compounds present in Mexican chia (Salvia hispanica L.) seeds. Food Chem 107: 656-663. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.08.062
- Munoz LA, Cobos A, Diaz O, Aguilera JM. 2012. Chia seeds: Microstructure, mucilage extraction and hydration. J Food Eng 108: 216-224. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2011.06.037
- Lin KY, Daniel JR, Whistler RL. 1994. Structure of chia seed polysaccharide exudate. Carbohydr Polym 23: 13-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/0144-8617(94)90085-X
- Coorey R, Tjoe A, Jayasena V. 2014. Gelling properties of chia seed and flour. J Food Sci 79: E859-E866. https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.12444
- Campos BE, Dias Ruivo T, da Silva Scapim MR, Madrona GS, de C. Bergamasco R. 2016. Optimization of the mucilage extraction process from chia seeds and application in ice cream as a stabilizer and emulsifier. LWT-Food Sci Technol 65: 874-883. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2015.09.021
- Zettel V, Krämer A, Hecker F, Hitzmann B. 2015. Influence of gel from ground chia (Salvia hispanica L.) for wheat bread production. Eur Food Res Technol 240: 655-662. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-014-2368-8
- Zhang Y, Kim JH, Song KY, O H, Kim YS. 2016. Quality characteristics and antioxidant activities of Sulgidduck with asparagus (Asparagus officinalis L.) powder. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 26: 63-72. https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2016.2.26.1.63
- Kim SS, Chung HY. 2010. Retarding retrogradation of Korean rice cakes (Karedduk) with a mixture of trehalose and modified starch analyzed by Avrami kinetics. Korean J Food & Nutr 23: 39-44.
- Kim SK, Ciacco CF, D'appolonia BL. 1976. Kinetic study of retrogradation of cassava starch gels. J Food Sci 41: 1249-1250. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1976.tb14434.x
- Singleton VL, Rossi JA. 1965. Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents. Am J Enol Vitic 16: 144-158.
- Davis WB. 1947. Determination of flavanones in citrus fruits. Anal Chem 19: 476-478. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60007a016
- Molyneux P. 2004. The use of the stable free radical diphenylpicrylhydrazyl (DPPH) for estimating antioxidant activity. Songklanakarin J Sci Technol 26: 211-219.
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radicals Biol Med 26: 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- Wang HH, Sun DW, Zeng Q, Lu Y. 2000. Effect of pH, corn starch and phosphates on the pasting properties of rice flour. J Food Eng 46: 133-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-8774(00)00077-7
- Luna Pizarro P, Almeida EL, Samman NC, Chang YK. 2013. Evaluation of whole chia (Salvia hispanica L.) flour and hydrogenated vegetable fat in pound cake. LWT-Food Sci Technol 54: 73-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2013.04.017
- Shin JH, Kim YA, Kang MJ, Yang SM, Sung NJ. 2010. Preparation and characteristics of Sulgidduk containing different amounts of black garlic extract. Korean J Food Cook Sci 26: 559-566.
- Cho JS, Choi MY, Chang YH. 2002. Quality characteristics of Sulgiduk added with Lentinus edodes Sing powder. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 12: 55-64.
- Ryu YK, Kim YO, Kim KM. 2008. Quality characteristics of Sulgidduk by the addition of tofu. Korean J Food Cook Sci 24: 856-860.
- Munoz LA, Cobos A, Diaz O, Aguilera JM. 2013. Chia seed (Salvia hispanica): An ancient grain and a new functional food. Food Rev Int 29: 394-408. https://doi.org/10.1080/87559129.2013.818014
- Choi BS, Kim H. 2010. Quality characteristics of sulgidduk added with perilla leaves. Korean J Culinary Res 16: 299-310.
- Kim SS, Chung HY. 2012. Texture profiles and retarding retrogradation analysis of a Korean rice cake (Karedduk) with addition of oligosaccharides. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 533-538. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.4.533
- Lee YH, Moon TW. 1994. Composition, water-holding capacity and effect on starch retrogradation of rice bran dietary fiber. Korean J Food Sci Technol 26: 288-294.
- Hibi Y, Kitamura S, Kuge T. 1990. Effect of lipids on the retrogradation of cooked rice. Cereal Chem 67: 7-10.
- Mun SH, Kim JO, Lee SK, Shin MS. 1996. Retrogradation of sucrose fatty acid ester and soybean oil added rice flour gels. Korean J Food Sci Technol 28: 305-310.
- Scapin G, Schimdt MM, Prestes RC, Ferreira S, Silva AFC, da Rosa CS. 2015. Effect of extract of chia seed (Salvia hispanica) as an antioxidant in fresh pork sausage. Int Food Res J 22: 1195-1202.
- Coelho MS, Salas-Mellado MM. 2015. Effects of substituting chia (Salvia hispanica L.) flour or seeds for wheat flour on the quality of the bread. LWT-Food Sci Technol 60: 729-736. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2014.10.033
- Ignat I, Volf I, Popa VI. 2011. A critical review of methods for characterisation of polyphenolic compounds in fruits and vegetables. Food Chem 126: 1821-1835. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.12.026
- Santhakumar AB, Bulmer AC, Singh I. 2014. A review of the mechanisms and effectiveness of dietary polyphenols in reducing oxidative stress and thrombotic risk. J Hum Nutr Diet 27: 1-21.
- Martinez-Cruz O, Paredes-Lopez O. 2014. Phytochemical profile and nutraceutical potential of chia seeds (Salvia hispanica L.) by ultra high performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr A 1346: 43-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2014.04.007
- Taga MS, Miller EE, Pratt DE. 1984. Chia seeds as a source of natural lipid antioxidants. J Am Oil Chem Soc 61: 928-931. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02542169