- Volume 46 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Antioxidative Capacities of Stachys sieboldii MIQ and Ginseng Powders and Their Effects on Quality Characteristics of Cookies
초석잠과 인삼의 항산화 활성 및 분말로 첨가한 쿠키의 품질 특성
- Na, Bo-Ram (Department of Food and Nutrition, Daegu University) ;
- Lee, Jeung-Hee (Department of Food and Nutrition, Daegu University)
- Received : 2016.09.08
- Accepted : 2016.11.15
- Published : 2017.01.31
Antioxidative capacities of Stachys sieboldii MIQ and 6-year-old ginseng powder were assessed after extraction with 80% ethanol, and their addition effects on quality characteristics of cookies were determined. Stachys sieboldii MIQ showed 3.12-fold higher total phenol content (TPC) and higher antioxidative capacities than ginseng based on higher values of 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl radical scavenging capacity, ferric reducing antioxidant capacity, and Trolox equivalent antioxidant capacity (P<0.05). The 80% ethanol extract was then fractionated with
Supported by : 대구대학교
- Baek HS, Na YS, Kim DH, Lee CH, Ryu BH, Song SK. 2004. Antioxidant activities of Stachys sieboldii MIQ roots. J Life Sci 14: 1-7. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2004.14.1.001
- Yin J, Yang G, Wang S, Chen Y. 2006. Purification and determination of stachyose in Chinese artichoke (Stachys sieboldii Miq.) by high-performance liquid chromatography with evaporative light scattering detection. Talanta 70: 208-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2006.03.027
- Takeda Y, Fujita T, Satoh T, Kakegawa H. 1985. On the glycosidic constituents of Stachys sieboldii MIQ. and their effects on hyarulonidase activity. Yakugaku Zasshi 105: 955-959. https://doi.org/10.1248/yakushi1947.105.10_955
- Ryu BH, Kim SO. 2004. Effects of methanol extract of Stachys sieboldii MIQ on acetylcholine esterases and monoamine oxidase in rat brain. Koreans J Food Nutr 17: 347-355.
- Baek HS, Na YS, Ryu BH, Song SK. 2003. Antioxidant activities of Stachys sieboldii MIQ. stalks. Korean J Biotechnol Bioeng 18: 266-271.
- Ha DC, Ryu GH. 2005. Chemical components of red, white and extruded root ginseng. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 247-254. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.2.247
- Han BH. 2001. Active constituent of ginseng, and other studies. J Ginseng Res 25: 26-30.
- Kim D, Kim KH, Yook HS. 2014. Quality characteristics of cookies added with ginseng leaf. Korean J Food Cook Sci 30: 679-686. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2014.30.6.679
- Kim SH. 2008. Physiological activity biotransformation of ginsenosides isolated from ginseng leaves. MS Thesis. Kyonggi University, Suwon, Korea.
- Kong YH, Lee YC, Choi SY. 2009. Neuroprotective and anti-inflammatory effects of phenolic compounds in Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer. J Ginseng Res 33: 111-114. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2009.33.2.111
- Lee JH, Kim SH. 1995. The effect of the long-term ginseng intakes on serum lipids profile and hemostatic factors in human. Korean J Nutr 28: 862-871.
- Kim KH, Lee IR, Jung IS, Chang HY, Yun YS. 1998. The pattern of cytokine mRNA expression induced by polysaccharide from Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer. J Ginseng Res 22: 324-330.
- Kim HJ, Lee JC, Lee GS, Jeon BS, Kim NM, Lee JS. 2002. Manufacture and physiological functionalities of traditional ginseng liquor. J Ginseng Res 26: 74-78. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2002.26.2.074
- Jo JE, Kim KH, Kim MS, Choi JE, Byun MW, Yook HS. 2011. Antioxidant activity from different root parts of 6-year-old Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer (Yun-poong). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 493-499. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.4.493
- Lee SE, Lee SW, Bang JK, Yu YJ, Seong NS. 2004. Antioxidant activities of leaf, stem and root of Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer. Korean J Med Crop Sci 12: 237-242.
- Kim KH, Ko KI, Kang EJ, Yang EK, Park SN. 2004. A research trend of natural product on well-being industry. J Soc Cosmet Scientists Korea 30: 329-343.
- Nicoletti M. 2012. Nutraceuticals and botanicals: overview and perspectives. Int J Food Sci Nutr 63: 2-6. https://doi.org/10.3109/09637486.2011.628012
- Kim EH, Rhee DK. 2009. Anti-oxidation properties of ginseng. J Ginseng Res 33: 1-7. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2009.33.1.001
- Jang HY, Park HS, Kwon KR, Rhim TJ. 2008. A study on the comparison of antioxidant effects among wild ginseng, cultivated wild ginseng, and cultivated ginseng extracts. J Pharmacopuncture 11: 67-78. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2008.11.3.067
- Ahn SK, Goo YM, Ko KH, Lee SJ, Moon YH, Lee SS, Kim JW, Lee SS. 2014. Study on the evaluation of nutritional values and antioxidant activities for herbal medicine byproducts. J Agric Life Sci 48: 101-110. https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2014.48.2.101
- Chang KS, Kim MJ, Kim SD. 1995. Effect of ginseng on the preservability and quality of chinese cabbage kimchi. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 24: 313-322.
- Kang HJ, Choi HJ, Lim JK. 2009. Quality characteristics of cookies with ginseng powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1595-1599. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.11.1595
- Kim HY, Park JH. 2006. Physicochemical and sensory characteristics of pumpkin cookies using ginseng powder. Korean J Food Cook Sci 22: 855-863.
- Lee HS, Kwon KH, Cha HS. 2009. Quality characteristics of Chun-dubu (whole soybean curd) with added ginseng powder. Korean J Food Preserv 16: 192-197.
- Min JY, Kim NY, Kim US, Han HMJ. 2015. The quality characteristics of pasteurized ginseng Makgeolli added with different concentration of ginseng powder. J Korean Soc Food Cult 30: 757-765. https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2015.30.6.757
- Lee WH, Yoo SS. 2013. Physicochemical properties and sensory evaluation of beef consomme prepared with added ginseng. Korean J Food Nutr 26: 208-215. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2013.26.2.208
- Lee JE, Jin SY, Han YS. 2014. Antioxidant activities and quality characteristics of tofu supplemented with Chinese artichoke powder. Korean J Food Nutr 27: 10-21. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2014.27.1.010
- Park YI, Lee SM, Joo N. 2012. Quality characteristics and optimization of rice muffin containing Chinese artichoke (Stachys sieboldii MIQ) powder using response surface methodology. J Korean Diet Assoc 20: 212-226.
- Jeon KS, Lee NH, Park SI. 2015. Quality characteristics of white pan bread with Chinese artichoke (Stachys sieboldii MIQ) powder. Korean J Culinary Res 21(4): 1-15.
- Lee SW, Jung TH, Shin YW. 2013. A comparative study of memory improving effects of Stachys rhizome and Lycopi rhizome on scopolamine-induced amnesia in mice. Korean J Herbol 28: 69-77.
- Lee AY, Hong ST, Jang YS, Lee JH. 2014. Lipid composition of Korean rapeseed (Brassica napus L.) cultivar and antioxidant capacity of phenolic extract. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 43: 1817-1826. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.12.1817
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analysis. 16th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA. p 1-26.
- Yi AY, Kim YS, Lee JH. 2013. Quality characteristics of Misutkaru and their cookies made with immature whole green rice and barely. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 1805-1812. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.11.1805
- AACC. 1983. Approved methods of AACC. 10th ed. American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN, USA. Method 10-50D.
- Kang YH, Park YK, Oh SR, Moon KD. 1995. Studies on the physiological functionally of pine needle and mugwort extracts. J Korean Food Sci Technol 27: 978-984.
- Mudgil D, Barak S, Khatkar BS. 2012. Soluble fibre and cookie quality. Agro Food Industry Hi Tech 23: 15-17.
- Koh WB, Noh WS. 1997. Effect of sugar particle size and level on cookie spread. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 7: 159-165.
- Jeltema MA, Zabik ME, Thiel LJ. 1983. Prediction of cookie quality from diet fiber components. Cereal Chem 60: 227-230.
- Cho HS, Kim KH. 2013. Quality characteristics of cookies prepared with loquat (Eriobotrya japonica Lindl.) leaf powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 1799-1804. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.11.1799
- Lee JA. 2015. Quality characteristics of cookies added with Aster Yomena powder. J Korean Culinary Res 21: 141-153.
- Kim MJ, Choi JE, Lee JH. 2014. Quality characteristics of cookies added with jujube powder. Korean J Food Preserv 21: 146-150. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2014.21.1.146
- Jeong EJ, Kim KP, Bang BH. 2013. Quality characteristics of cookies containing Platycodon grandiflorum powder. Korean J Food Nutr 26: 759-765. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2013.26.4.759
- Jin SY, Lee EJ, Gil GY, Joo SY. 2014. Quality characteristics and antioxidant of cookies added Eleutherococcus sessiliflorus leaf powder. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 24: 234-241.
- Lee JW, Do JH. 2006. Current studies on browning reaction products and acidic polysaccharide in Korean red ginseng. J Ginseng Res 30: 41-48. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2006.30.1.041