- Volume 46 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics of Crackers with Tomato Concentrate
토마토 농축액을 이용한 크래커의 품질 특성
- Kim, Ki-Ppum (Department of Food and Nutrition, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Kyoung-Hee (Department of Food and Nutrition, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Young Shik (Department of Plant and Food Science, Sangmyung University) ;
- Yook, Hong-Sun (Department of Food and Nutrition, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2016.08.25
- Accepted : 2016.10.25
- Published : 2017.01.31
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the quality of crackers added with different concentrations (0%, 3%, 5%, 7%, and 10%) of tomato concentrate. The study results found that pH and baking loss rate of crackers of the control were higher than those of the samples. On the other hand, density and moisture of crackers with 10% tomato concentrate were higher than those of the samples. Hunter L values of crackers decreased as concentration of tomato concentrate increased, whereas a and b values of crackers increased. In the texture analysis, hardness of crackers decreased according to concentration of tomato concentrate. DPPH free radical scavenging activity of crackers increased as concentration of tomato concentrate increased. In the sensory evaluation, taste, color, flavor, texture, and overall acceptability of crackers added with 5% tomato concentrate were higher than those of other samples. Therefore, the results suggest that addition of 5% tomato concentrate is effective for increasing consumer acceptability and functionality of crackers.
Supported by : 토마토 지역전략작목산학협력단
- Tapiero H, Townsend DM, Tew KD. 2004. The role of carotenoids in the prevention of human pathologies. Biomed Pharmacother 58: 100-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2003.12.006
- Gu JR. 2007. Effect of storage temperature and package methods on the quality of tomato. MS Thesis. Pukyong National University, Busan, Korea.
- Kattan AA. 1957. Changes in color and firmness during ripening of detached tomatoes, and the use of a new instrument for measuring firmness. Proc Am Soc Hort Sci 70: 379-383.
- Seo BH. 2006. A study of preparing gruel and quality characteristics of tomato gruel. MS Thesis. Sejong University, Seoul, Korea. p 48-52.
- Park NY, Park KN, Lee SH. 2006. Effect of tomato ketchup on fermentation and quality of kimchi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38: 655-658.
- Moon SW, Park JE, Jang MS. 2007. The effects of added ripened tomato on the quality of Baechukimchi. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 17: 678-688.
- Kim EJ, Hahn YS. 2006. Preparation of tomato Kimchi and its characteristics. Korean J Food Cook Sci 22: 535-544.
- Hoe SK, Park KH, Yang MR, Jeong KJ, Kim DH, Choi JS, Jin SK, Kim IS. 2006. Quality characteristics of low-fat emulsified sausage containing tomatoes during cold storage. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 26: 297-305.
- Kim MY, Chun SS. 2008. Quality characteristics of Sulgidduk with tomato powder. Korean J Food Cook Sci 24: 412-418.
- Choi EJ, Kim MH. 2015. The health benefits of porridge with tomato powder. Korean J Food Cook Sci 31: 233-240. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.3.233
- Lee S, Moon HY, Lee SW, Moon JN, Kim DH, Kim GY. 2014. Monitoring of wine quality by using environmentally friendly tomato concentrate and commercial wines. Korean J Food Cult 29: 278-285. https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2014.29.3.278
- Kim KH, Kim YS, Hong MS, Yook HS. 2016. Quality characteristics of bagel added with tomato powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 45: 360-365. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.3.360
- Kim KH, Kim YS, Hong MS, Yook HS. 2016. Quality characteristics of meringue cookies added with tomato powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 45: 366-371. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.3.366
- Heo YJ, Sim KH, Choi HY, Kim SI. 2010. Antioxidative activity of crackers made with a guava (Psidium guajava Linn.) leaf extract harvested in Korea. Korean J Food Cook Sci 26: 171-179.
- Cho HS, Park BH, Kim KH, Kim HA. 2006. Antioxidative effect and quality characteristics of cookies made with sea tangle power. J Korean Food Cult 21: 541-549.
- Lim EJ. 2008. Quality characteristics of cookies with added Enteromorpha intenstinalis. Korean J Food Nutr 21: 300-305.
- Park KB, Han GH, Kim BY. 2003. Utilization of the natural antioxidants for the anti-peroxidation of almond cracker. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32: 131-136. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.1.131
- Kang HJ, Choi HJ, Lim JK. 2009. Quality characteristics of cookies with ginseng powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1595-1599. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.11.1595
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA. p 942.
- Kim JJ, Kim SJ, Kim SH, Park HR, Lee SC. 2006. Antioxidant and anticancer activities of extracts from Styela clava according to the processing methods and solvents. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 35: 278-283. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.3.278
- Kim GS, Park GS. 2008. Quality characteristics of cookies prepared with lotus leaf powder. Korean J Food Cook Sci 24: 398-404.
- Lee JS, Jeong SS. 2009. Quality characteristics of cookies prepared with button mushroom (Agaricus bisporous) powder. Korean J Food Cook Sci 25: 98-105.
- Koh WB, Noh WS. 1997. Effect of sugar particle size and level on cookie spread. J East Asian Diet Life 7: 159-165.
- Monthly Confectionery and Bakery. 1999. Baking theory lectures. B&C World, Seoul, Korea. p 28-60.
- Kim HS. 2015. Physicochemical properties of white pan bread prepared with Portulaca oleracea. MS Thesis. Hansung University, Seoul, Korea.
- Chae KY, Choi EJ. 2010. Quality characteristics of Jeolpyeon with addition of jujube concentrate. Korean J Food Cook Sci 26: 26-31.
- Choi EJ, Lee JH. 2013. Quality and antioxidant properties of jelly incorporated with purple sweet potato concentrate. Korean J Food Sci Technol 45: 47-52. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2013.45.1.47
- Stinco CM, Rodriguez-Pulido FJ, Escudero-Gilete ML, Gordillo B, Vicario IM, Melendez-Martinez AJ. 2013. Lycopene isomers in fresh and processed tomato products: correlations with instrumental color measurements by digital image analysis and spectroradiometry. Food Res Int 50: 111-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2012.10.011
- Park YH, Cheong G. 2001. The sensual characteristic of bread added Lycii Fructus concentrate. Korean J Community Living Sci 16: 63-67.
- Kim WM, Kim MK, Byun MW, Lee GH. 2012. Physical and sensory characteristics of bread prepared by substituting sugar with yacon concentrate. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 1288-1293. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.9.1288
- Kwak DY, Kim JH, Kim JK, Shin SR, Moon KD. 2002. Effects of hot water extract from roasted safflower (Carthamus tinctorius L.) seed on quality of cookies. Korean J Food Preserv 9: 304-308.
- Kim HR, Ahn JB. 2014. Analysis of free amino acids and polyphenol compounds from lycopene variety of cherry tomatoes. Korean J Culinary Res 20: 37-49.