- Volume 46 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics of Got Mul-Kimchi during Storage by Type of Kimchi Containers Using Plastic Ark Shell
꼬막껍질을 이용한 김치 저장 용기의 종류별 저장 기간에 따른 갓 물김치의 품질 특성
- Jung, Bok-Mi (Division of Food and Nutrition, Chonnam National University) ;
- Shin, Hee-Joong (Dreamlime Co., Ltd.) ;
- Kim, Hyung-Rak (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2016.09.26
- Accepted : 2016.11.17
- Published : 2017.01.31
This study was conducted to evaluate the quality characteristics of got mul-kimchi during storage by type of kimchi container using a plastic ark shell. The pH level, acidity, hardness, color, sensory evaluation, and microbiological activity were performed. Kimchi containers were prepared with 0%, 2%, and 3% plastic ark shell. The pH level of 2% container samples showed no significant difference compared with that of the control, whereas pH levels of 3% container samples were significantly (P<0.05) higher than those of the control and 2% sample. Acidity was not different among treatments up to 4 weeks, whereas acidity of 3% container samples was significantly (P<0.05) lower than those of the control and 2% samples after 8 weeks. Hardness significantly decreased (P<0.05) upon 0, 2, and 3% treatments with increasing storage time, but there was no significant difference among the treatments. Hunter color L values increased in the order of 0, 3, and 2% with increasing storage time. In sensory evaluation of crunchiness, 3% container samples had significantly (P<0.05) higher crunchiness than the control. Total viable cells in the 3% container with got mul-kimchi were significantly (P<0.05) lower than those of other samples at 12 and 16 weeks of fermentation. Numbers of lactic acid bacteria in the 2% and 3% container samples were significantly (P<0.05) lower than those of the control samples after 16 weeks of fermentation. These results show that the plastic ark shell kimchi container extended storage compared with the control.
Supported by : 한국산업단지공단
- Park LY, Jeong TS, Lee SH. 2008. Effects of Chaenomelis Fructus water extract on the quality characteristics of Mulkimchi during fermentation. Korean J Food Preserv 15: 669-674.
- Choi SY, Oh JY, Yoo JW, Hahn YS. 1998. Fermentation properties of Yulmoo Mulkimchi according to the ratio of water to Yulmoo. Korean J Soc Food Sci 14: 327-332.
- Moon SW, Cho DW, Park WS, Jang MS. 1995. Effect of salt concentration on Tongchimi fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 27: 11-18.
- Choi SY, Hahn YS. 1997. The changes of vitamin C content in Yulmoo Mulkimchi according to the shift of fermentation temperature. Korean J Soc Food Sci 13: 364-368.
- Oh JY, Hahn YS, Kim YJ. 1999. Microbiological characteristics of low salt Mul-kimchi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 31: 502-508.
- Kim HR, Park JE, Jang MS. 2002. Effect of perilla seed paste on the Yulmoo Mul-kimchi during fermentation. Korean J Food Cook Sci 18: 290-299.
- Jang MS, Park JE. 2004. Effect of Maesil (Prunus mume Sieb. et Zucc) juice on Yulmoo Mul-kimchi fermentation. Korean J Food Cook Sci 20: 511-519.
- Jeong TS, Jeong EJ, Lee SH. 2008. Effects on the quality characteristics of mul-kimchi with omija (Schizandra chinensis Baillon) water extract. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 1301-1306. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.10.1301
- Park JE, Lee JY, Jang MS. 2011. Quality characteristics of Yulmoo Mul-kimchi containing saltwort (Salicornia herbacea L.). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 1006-1016. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.7.1006
- Kim DC, Won SI, In MJ. 2014. Preparation and quality characteristics of Mul-kimchi added with chlorella. J Appl Biol Chem 57: 23-28. https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2014.004
- Kim SJ. 2005. Antimicrobial activities of lactic acid bacteria isolated from Mul-Kimchi. Korean J Food Preserv 12: 263-266.
- Kong CS, Kim DK, Rhee SH, Rho CW, Hwang HJ, Choi KL, Park KY. 2005. Fermentation properties and in vitro anticancer effect of young radish kimchi and young radish watery kimchi. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 311-316. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.3.311
- Cho JS. 2000. Research on kimchi. Yurim Press, Seoul, Korea. p 152.
- Park JR, Park SK, Cho YS, Chun SS. 1994. Purification and characterization of myrosinase in Dolsan leaf mustard (Brassica juncea) and changes in myrosinase activity during fermentation of leaf mustard kimchi. Korean J Diet Cult 9: 137-142.
- Kim HR, Cho KJ, Kim JS, Lee IS. 2006. Quality changes of mustard leaf (dolsangat) kimchi during low temperature storage. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38: 609-614.
- Kim D, Seo YJ, Jung BM. 2008. Changes in microbial growth and quality characteristics during fermentation of Dolsan leaf mustard (Brassica juncea) kimchi. Food Eng Prog 12: 226-230.
- Park MJ, Jeon YS, Han JS. 2001. Fermentation characteristics of mustard leaf kimchi added green tea and pumpkin powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 215-221.
- Choi YS, Hwang JH, Kim JI, Jeon YS, Cheigh HS. 2000. Antioxidative activity of mustard leaf kimchi with optional ingredients. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 29: 1003-1008.
- Oh YA, Kim SD. 1995. Effect of salting in salt solution added calcium chloride on the fermentation of Baechu Kimchi. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 5: 287-298.
- Noh JS, Seo HJ, Oh JH, Lee MJ, Kim MH, Cheigh HS, Song YO. 2007. Development of auto-aging system built in kimchi refrigerator for optimal fermentation and storage of Korean cabbage kimchi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 39: 432-437.
- Kim MJ, Kim MH, Kim SD. 2003. Effect of water extracts of shellfish shell on fermentation and calcium content of kimchi. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32: 161-166. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.2.161
- Kaneko K, Otoguro C, Hihara M, Tsuji K, Odake S, Maeda Y. 1993. Effect of ashed egg shell and ashed oyster shell on hardness, chemical components and tissue structure of brined ume fruit. Nippon Shokuhin Kogyo Gakkaishi 40: 577-582. https://doi.org/10.3136/nskkk1962.40.577
- Kim SD, Kim MK, Kang MS, Lee YK, Kim DS. 2000. Effect of ark shell powder on the fermentation and quality of kimchi. Food Sci Biotechnol 9: 280-284.
- Rhee HS, Lee GJ. 1993. Changes in textural properties of Korean radish and relevant chemical, enzymatic activities during salting. Korea J Diet Cult 8: 267-274.
- Oh YA, Kim SD. 1997. Changes in enzyme activities of salted Chinese cabbage and kimchi during salting and fermentation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 404-410.
- Yang YH, Park SH, Ann SM, Kim KM, Kim MR. 2005. Physicochemical and sensory characteristics of Mul-kimchi (watery Kimchi) prepared with red cabbage. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 15: 574-581.
- Lee YH, Yang IW. 1970. Studies on the packaging and preservation of kimchi. J Korean Agric Chem Soc 13: 207-218.
- Kim SD, Kim MH, Kim ID. 1996. Effect of crab shell on shelf-life enhancement of kimchi. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 25: 907-914.
- Kim SD, Kim ID, Park IK, Kim MH, Youn KS. 1999. Effects of calcium lactate and acetate on the fermentation of kimchi. Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol 6: 333-338.
- Jung BM, Jung SJ, Kim ES. 2010. Quality characteristics and storage properties of gat kimchi added with oyster shell powder and Salicornia herbacea powder. Korean J Food Cook Sci 26: 188-197.
- Choi SY, Kim YB, Yoo JY, Lee IS, Chung KS, Koo YJ. 1990. Effect of temperature and salts concentration of kimchi manufacturing on storage. Korean J Food Sci Technol 22: 707-710.
- Pie JE, Jang MS. 1995. Effect of preparation methods on Yulmoo kimchi fermentation. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 24: 990-997.