- Volume 46 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Job Characteristics on Job Burnout and Engagement in School Foodservice Dietitians in Busan Area
부산지역 학교영양(교)사의 직무변인이 직무소진과 직무열의에 미치는 영향
- Lyu, Eun-Soon (Department of Food Science & Nutrition, Pukyong National University) ;
- Lee, Kyung-A (Department of Food & Nutrition, Catholic University of Daegu)
- Received : 2016.09.29
- Accepted : 2016.11.07
- Published : 2017.01.31
The purpose of this study was to obtain data for contribution of job characteristics (workload, autonomy, reward, community, fairness, and value) to job burnout (emotional exhaustion, and cynicism), and job engagement (vigor, dedication, and absorption) in foodservice dietitians. Our survey was administered to 393 school foodservice dietitians in the Busan area on February 11, 2014. The mean scores of nutrition teachers were significantly higher for autonomy (P<0.01), reward (P<0.05), community (P<0.01), fairness (P<0.001), and value (P<0.001) than unlimited period contract dietitians. The mean scores of high school dietitians were significantly higher for emotional exhaustion (P<0.01) and cynicism (P<0.001) than elementary school dietitians and middle school dietitians. Workload (r=-0.609, P<0.001), reward (r=-0.417, P<0.001), and fairness (r=-0.394, P<0.01) correlated significantly with emotional exhaustion. Reward (r=-0.324) and value (r=-0.423) correlated significantly (P<0.01) with cynicism. Value correlated significantly (P<0.01) with vigor (r=0.493), dedication (r=0.480), and absorption (r=0.460). Workload (
- Song NC, Lee HS, Lee KE. 2007. The factors (job burnout, job engagement, the workplace safety) influencing employees' job satisfaction in school food service operations. Korean J Community Nutr 12: 606-616.
- Yi BS. 2012. Comparative analysis of the quality attributes affecting students' satisfaction on school lunch service of middle school by year. Korean J Community Nutr 17: 479-493. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2012.17.4.479
- Yi NY, Lee KE. 2009. Requirements and self-evaluation of knowledge and skills necessary for effective nutrition teachers perceived by school foodservice dietitians. Korean J Community Nutr 14: 190-205.
- Han JK, Kim H. 2009. Comparative study of the job satisfaction, job performance and job importance level of school nutrition teachers and school dietitians. Korean J Food Cult 24: 525-532.
- Park EJ, Kim KN. 2002. Job achievement and job satisfaction of dietitian in elementary school. J Korean Diet Assoc 8: 163-174.
- Kim GM, Lee SY. 2007. Effects of job stress factors on psychological job stress and job satisfaction levels of school dietitians in the Seoul and Incheon area. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 17: 143-151.
- Choi EY, Kim HA. 2012. Effect of job stress on job burnout of nutrition teachers and dietitians in school foodservice. Korean J Food Cook Sci 28: 97-110. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2012.28.2.097
- Chin JH, You JS, Chang KJ. 2012. Comparison of role conflict, self-efficacy, job satisfaction, and job involvement between nutrition teachers and dietitians at school food service in Incheon metropolitan city: Focusing on the interactions between nutrition teachers and dietitians. Korean J Nutr 45: 64-79. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2012.45.1.64
- Freudenberger H. 1974. Staff burn-out. J Social Issues 30: 159-165.
- Shirom A, Melamed S, Toker S, Berliner S, Shapira I. 2005. Burnout and health review: current knowledge and future research directions. Int Rev Ind Organ Psychol 20: 269-308.
- Leiter MP, Maslach C. 1999. Six areas of worklife: a model of the organizational context of burnout. J Health Hum Serv Adm 21: 472-489.
- Leiter MP, Maslach C. 2009. Nurse turnover: the mediating role of burnout. J Nurs Manag 17: 331-339. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2009.01004.x
- Maslach C, Jackson SE. 1981. The measurement of experienced burnout. J Occup Behav 2: 99-113. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030020205
- Kim SH. 2006. A study on relationship of salesperson's emotional intelligence, burnout, and customer-oriented selling behavior. Korean Management Review 35: 183-225.
- Leiter MP, Maslach C. 2000. Preventing burnout and building engagement: A complete program for organizational renewal. Jossey-Bass Inc., San Francisco, CA, USA.
- Leiter MP, Maslach C. 2004. Areas of worklife: A structured approach to organizational predictors of job burnout. In Research Occupational Stress and Well Being: Emotional and Psychological Processes and Positive Intervention Strategies. Perrewe PL, Ganster DC, eds. Emerald Group Publishing Limited, Bingley, UK. Vol 3, p 91-134.
- Schaufeli WB, Leiter MP, Maslach C, Jackson SE. 1996. The Maslach burnout inventory-general survey. In MBI Manual. 3rd ed. Maslach C, Jackson SE, Leiter MP, eds. Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, CA, USA. p 22-26.
- Schaufeli WB, Bakker AB. 2003. Utrecht work engagement scale: Preliminary manual. Occupational Health Psychology Unit, Utrecht University, Utrecht, Netherlands.
- Cho WJ. 2010. The effects of job characteristics and individual emotional characteristics on emotional labor of school dietitians. MS Thesis. Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea. p 39-44.
- Sin EK, Lee YK. 2003. Effects of personal and job characteristics on organizational commitment and job satisfaction of Daegu.Gyeongbuk area dietitians by foodservice employment type. Korean J Food Cult 18: 75-88.
- Baek SH. 2010. The causal model of job stress, job burnout and turnover intention-focused on the comparison of school foodservice dietitian, dietitian teacher and foodservice employee. MS Thesis. Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea. p 45-49.
- Park JY. 2015. Working stress, occupational satisfaction, and turnover intention of dieticians of school foodservice in Seoul depending on meal frequency. MS Thesis. Chung-Ang University, Seoul, Korea. p 20-25.
- Cho IJ, Lee HS. 2012. The job satisfaction and the turnover intention of dietitians working at foodservice of the correctional institutions in Korea. Korean J Community Nutr 17: 321-328. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2012.17.3.321
- Lee HS. 2009. Factors influencing on the job satisfaction and the turnover intention of dietitians working in the institutions for the disabled in Korea: Focused on the general characteristics and the job burnout. Korean J Community Nutr 14: 182-189.
- Lee KA, Lyu ES. 2015. Study on relations among emotional labor, burnout, engagement and customer orientation of high school foodservice employees in Busan area. Korean J Food Cook Sci 31: 370-377. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.3.370
- Kim BR. 2012. A study on the moderating effect of teachers' stress management in relation to work environment with job engagement and burnout respectively. MS Thesis. Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea. p 23-30.