- Volume 46 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Quality Variation of Domestic Wheat Compared to Imported Wheat Depending on Harvest Year
수확 연도별 우리밀과 수입밀의 품질 변이 비교
- Kwak, Han Sub (Research Group of Cognition and Sensory Perception, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Tae Jong (Food Ingredient R&D Center, CJ Cheiljedang) ;
- Joo, Eun Young (Food Ingredient R&D Center, CJ Cheiljedang) ;
- Cha, Jang Hun (Food Ingredient R&D Center, CJ Cheiljedang) ;
- Kim, Ah Jin (Food Ingredient R&D Center, CJ Cheiljedang) ;
- Kim, Mi Jeong (Research Group of Cognition and Sensory Perception, Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Sang Sook (Research Group of Cognition and Sensory Perception, Korea Food Research Institute)
- 곽한섭 (한국식품연구원 감각인지연구단) ;
- 김태종 (CJ제일제당 소재연구소) ;
- 주은영 (CJ제일제당 소재연구소) ;
- 차장헌 (CJ제일제당 소재연구소) ;
- 김아진 (CJ제일제당 소재연구소) ;
- 김미정 (한국식품연구원 감각인지연구단) ;
- 김상숙 (한국식품연구원 감각인지연구단)
- Received : 2016.08.26
- Accepted : 2016.09.26
- Published : 2017.01.31
Quality characteristics (moisture, protein, ash, bulk density, falling number, damaged kernel, and foreign material) of 443 domestic wheat samples harvested between 2011 and 2013 were compared with those of 160 imported wheat samples from the United States, Australia, and Canada. Moisture content of domestic wheat (10.9~13.9%) was generally higher than that of imported wheat (8.0~12.6%). Large variation in protein content was found in domestic wheat compared to imported wheat even though variation in protein content of domestic wheat tended to decrease every year, implying quality control efforts for domestic wheat. A similar trend was observed in ash content, which was approximately 0.1% higher in domestic wheat kernels over 3 years. Imported wheat samples had a falling number of 300 or above. On the other hand, some domestic wheat samples had a falling number of 300, which meant low quality of wheat kernels. Generally, quality variations in domestic wheat kernels decreased over the years; however, it is necessary to maintain minimum requirements of moisture content and falling number for high and consistent quality domestic wheat.
Supported by : 농림수산식품기술기획평가원
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (MAFRA). 2014. Agriculture, food and rural affairs statistics yearbook. MAFRA, Sejong, Korea. p 239-268.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (MAFRA). 2011. Major statistics of food, agriculture, forestry and fisheries. MAFRA, Sejong, Korea. p 32-101.
- Choi YS, Lee JK, Choi YH, Kim YH, Kang CS, Shin M. 2015. Quality characteristics of wheat flours from new released Iksan370 with long spike and domestic wheat cultivars. Korean J Food Cook Sci 31: 551-556. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.5.551
- Kim SS, Chung HY. 2014. Comparison of quality analyses of domestic and imported wheat flour products marketed in Korea. Korean J Food Nutr 27: 287-293. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2014.27.2.287
- Son JH, Kim KH, Choi I, Kim HS, Kim KH, Cheong YK, Lee CK, Park KG, Park CS, Kang CS. 2014. Evaluation of wheat grain and flour quality from different storage methods and periods of Korean wheat. J Agric Life Sci 45: 33-38.
- Kang CS, Park CS, Park JC, Kim HS, Cheong YK, Kim KH, Kim KJ, Park KH, Kim JG. 2010. Flour characteristics and end-use quality of Korean wheat cultivars I. Flour characteristics. Korean J Breed Sci 42: 61-74.
- Kang CS, Park CS, Park JC, Kim HS, Cheong YK, Kim KH, Kim KJ, Park KH, Kim JG. 2010. Flour characteristics and end-use quality of Korean wheat cultivars II. End-use properties. Korean J Breed Sci 42: 75-86.
- Kim WM, Lee GH. 2015. Comparison of imported wheat flour bread making properties and Korean wheat flour bread making properties made by various bread making methods. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 44: 434-441. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.3.434
- Jin HY, Kim BY. 2011. Analysis for consumers' opinion regarding domestic wheat bread. J Con Pol Stud 40: 205-222.
- Kim KH, Kang CS, Seo YW, Woo SH, Heo MR, Choo BK, Lee CK, Park KG, Park CS. 2013. Current regional cultural situation and evaluation of grain characteristics of Korean wheat II. Grain characteristics collected in domestic wheat cultivar grown in Korea. Korea J Crop Sci 58: 239-252. https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2013.58.3.239
- AACC. 2010. AACC approved methods. 10th ed. American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN, USA. Method 44-15A.
- AACC. 2010. AACC approved methods. 10th ed. American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN, USA. Method 46-12.
- AACC. 2010. AACC approved methods. 10th ed. American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN, USA. Method 08-01.
- AACC. 2010. AACC approved methods. 10th ed. American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN, USA. Method 56-81B.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (MAFRA). 2013. Specification of agricultural products. MAFRA, Sejong, Korea. p 25.
- Lee CK, Nam JH, Kang BC, Ku JC, Kim KG, Park MW, Park YH. 2002. Current wheat quality criteria and inspection systems of major wheat producing countries. Korean J Crop Sci 47(S): 63-94.
- Baik BK, Czuchajowska Z, Pomeranz Y. 1994. Role and contribution of starch and protein contents and quality to texture profile analysis of oriental noodles. Cereal Chem 71: 315-320.
- Dupont FM, Altenbach SB. 2003. Molecular and biochemical impacts of environmental factors on wheat grain development and protein synthesis. J Cereal Sci 38: 133-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0733-5210(03)00030-4
- Hinton JJC. 1959. The distribution of ash in the wheat kernel. Cereal Chem 36: 19-31.
- Kang CS, Cheong YK, Kim SL, Kim DK, Kim JG, Park CS. 2008. Effect of polyphenol oxidase activity on discoloration of noodle dough sheet prepared from Korean wheats. Korean J Corp Sci 53: 187-195.
- Frazer SR. 2007. 12 White wheat: biochemical and sensory characteristics of bread. In Whole Grains and Health. Marquart L, Jacobs DR, McIntosh GH, Poutanen K, Reicks M, eds. Blackwell Publishing Ltd., Oxford, UK. p 149-155.
Mares D, Mrva K. 2008. Late-maturity
$\alpha$-amylase: Low falling number in wheat in the absence of preharvest sprouting. J Cereal Sci 47: 6-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2007.01.005
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). 2010. https://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/36070500/InfoDianehasuploaded/2010ResearchReviewAnnualReport/MKweon-FN-012810.pdf (accessed Aug 2016).
- Sanchez-Marinez RI, Cortez-Rocha MO, Ortega-Dorame F, Morales-Valdes M, Silveira MI. 1997. End-use quality of flour from Rhyzopertha dominica infested wheat. Cereal Chem 74: 481-483. https://doi.org/10.1094/CCHEM.19220.127.116.111
- Perez-Mendoza J, Throne JE, Dowell FE, Baker JE. 2003. Detection of insect fragments in wheat flour by near-infrared spectroscopy. J Stored Prod Res 39: 305-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-474X(02)00021-8
- Sensory profile, consumer acceptance, and physicochemical properties of pan bread made with imported or domestic commercial wheat flour pp.08878250, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1111/joss.12487