- Volume 46 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Activities of Yaksik Containing Various Amount of Turmeric (Curcuma longa L.) Powder
강황 분말을 첨가하여 제조한 약식의 품질 특성 및 항산화 활성
- Min, Sook Hee (Department of Nutrition and Culinary Science, Hankyong National University) ;
- Hwang, Eun-Sun (Department of Nutrition and Culinary Science, Hankyong National University)
- Received : 2016.09.30
- Accepted : 2017.01.21
- Published : 2017.02.28
The objective of this study was to determine the quality characteristics and antioxidant activities of Yaksik prepared with different amounts of turmeric powder. Turmeric powder was incorporated into Yaksik at different levels containing 1.7, 2.8, and 3.9% based on the total weight of ingredients. Moisture contents of Yaksik were 41.45~44.93% and increased with higher amount of turmeric powder. Ash and crude lipid contents did not show any significant differences between control and samples. The control group showed higher sweetness and lower pH than the other groups, and sweetness decreased and pH increased upon addition of turmeric powder. In the chromaticity determination, L value decreased while a and b values increased as turmeric powder increased. The total polyphenol and flavonoid contents proportionally increased with levels of turmeric powder. The antioxidant activities measured by DPPH and ABTS radical scavenging activities as well as reducing power were significantly higher than those of the control and proportionally increased as turmeric powder increased. In the sensory evaluation, control and Yaksik made with 1.7% addition of turmeric powder showed the highest preference in terms of color, taste, texture, and overall acceptance. These results suggest that turmeric powder may be a useful ingredient in Yaksik to improve quality and sensory properties.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Kim JG, Kim JS. 2000. Quality characteristics of Yaksik prepared by different methods. Korean J Soc Food Sci 16: 453-459.
- Kim SJ, Kim HS. 2016. Properties of jujube pulp powder and its application in preparing yakbap, yakpyon, and jujube porridge. Korean J Food Cook Sci 32: 1-8. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2016.32.1.1
- Kim DH. 2008. Quality characteristics of Yakbab prepared with jujube (Zizyphus jujuba Mill. cv. Dongzao) paste. Korean J Culinary Res 14: 329-338.
- Lee HJ, Lee YK, Koo SJ, Hong SH, Lee CH. 1988. Effects of processing method and storage temperature and time on the texture of Yaksik (cooked and seasoned glutinous rice). Korean J Diet Cult 3: 391-396.
- Jung SH, Chang KS, Ko KH. 2004. Physiological effects of curcumin extracted by supercritical fluid from turmeric (Curcuma longa L.). Korean J Food Sci Technol 36: 317-320.
- Liju VB, Jeena K, Kuttan R. 2011. An evaluation of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antiociceptive activities of essential oil from Curcuma longa L. Indian J Pharmacol 43: 526-531. https://doi.org/10.4103/0253-7613.84961
- Kang YH, Park YK, Lee GD. 1996. The nitrite scavenging and electron donating ability of phenolic compounds. Korean J Food Sci Technol 28: 232-239.
- Sharma RA, Gescher AJ, Steward WP. 2005. Curcumin: The story so far. Eur J Cancer 41: 1955-1968. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2005.05.009
- Park KN, Park LY, Kim DG, Park GS, Lee SH. 2007. Effect of turmeric (Curcuma aromatica Salab.) on shelf life of tofu. Korean J Food Preserv 14: 136-141.
- Ruby AJ, Kuttan G, Babu KD, Rajasekharan KN, Kuttan R. 1995. Anti-tumour and antioxidant activity of natural curcuminoids. Cancer Lett 94: 79-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3835(95)03827-J
- Lee SY, Choi JS, Choi MO, Cho SH, Kim KBWR, Lee WH, Park SM, Ahn DH. 2006. Effect of extract from Glycyorrhiza uralensis and Curcular longa on shelf-life and quality of bread. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 35: 912-918. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.7.912
- Min YH, Kim JY, Park LY, Lee SH, Park GS. 2007. Physicochemical quality characteristics of tofu prepared with turmeric (Curcuma aromatica Salab). Korean J Food Cook Sci 23: 502-510.
- Lee MH, Jeon SJ, Kim SK, Park HS, Choi YS. 2011. The quality characteristics of Curcuma longa L. powder Sulgitteok. Korean J Culinary Res 17: 184-192.
- Yoon SJ, Choi EH. 2011. Quality characteristics of wheat flour Dasik by the addition of turmeric powder. Korean J Culinary Res 17: 132-140.
- Choi YS, Lee MH, Jhee OH. 2011. Quality characteristics of sugar-snap cookies by additions of Curcuma Longa L. powder. Korean J Culinary Res 17: 198-208.
- Hwang SY, Kang KO. 2013. Quality characteristics of rice noodles supplemented with turmeric, purple sweet potato, or seaweed (Hizikia fusiforme). J East Asian Soc Diet Life 23: 211-217.
- Lim ST, Han JA. 2016. Improvement in antioxidant functionality and shelf life of yukwa (fried rice snack) by turmeric (Curcuma longa L.) powder addition. Food Chem 199: 590-596. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2015.12.046
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analysis of AOAC International. 16th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA. p 1-26.
- Woisky R, Salatino A. 1998. Analysis of propolis: Some parameters and procedures for chemical quality control. J Apicul Res 37: 99-105. https://doi.org/10.1080/00218839.1998.11100961
- Aggarwal BB, Sundaram C, Malani N, Ichikawa H. 2007. Curcumin: the Indian solid gold. Adv Exp Med Biol 595: 1-75.
- Jung YS, Park SJ, Park JH, Jhee KH, Lee IS, Yang SA. 2012. Effects of ethanol extracts from Zingiber officinale Rosc., Curcuma longa L., and Curcuma aromatica Salisb. on acetylcholinesterase and antioxidant activities as well as GABA contents. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 1395-1401. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.10.1395
- Ahn D, Lee EB, Ahn MS, Kim BJ, Lee SY, Lee TG, Lim HW, Lee HY, Bae JJ, Kim DK. 2013. Flavonoids from the underground parts of Curcuma longa. Kor J Pharmacogn 44: 253-256.
- Chainani-Wu N. 2003. Safety and anti-inflammatory activity of curcumin: a component of turmeric (Curcuma longa). J Altern Complement Med 9: 161-168. https://doi.org/10.1089/107555303321223035
- Ramkissoon JS, Mahomoodally MF, Ahmed N, Subratty AH. 2013. Antioxidant and anti-glycation activities correlates with phenolic composition of tropical medicinal herbs. Asian Pac J Trop Med 6: 561-569. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1995-7645(13)60097-8
- Okunieff P, Xu J, Hu D, Liu W, Zhang L, Morrow G, Pentland A, Ryan JL, Ding I. 2006. Curcumin protects against radiation-induced acute and chronic cutaneous toxicity in mice and decreases mRNA expression of inflammatory and fibrogenic cytokines. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 65: 890-898. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2006.03.025
- Quality Properties and Antioxidant Activity of Cream Soup with Wheat Flour Replaced by Nipa palm (Nypa fruticans) Powder vol.33, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2017.33.4.435