- Volume 46 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis and Risk Assessment of N-Nitrosodimethylamine and Its Precursor Concentrations in Korean Commercial Kimchi
국내 유통 김치 중 N-Nitrosodimethylamine과 그 전구물질의 함량 분석 및 안전성 평가
- Kang, Kyung Hun (Department of Seafood Science and Technology, Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Kim, Sung Hyun (World Institute of Kimchi) ;
- Kim, Sang-Hyun (College of Veterinary Medicine, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Kim, Jeong Gyun (Department of Seafood Science and Technology, Institute of Marine Industry, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Sung, Nak-Ju (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lim, Heekyung (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Gwangju University) ;
- Chung, Mi Ja (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Gwangju University)
- 강경훈 (경상대학교 해양식품공학과.해양산업연구소) ;
- 김성현 (세계김치연구소) ;
- 김상현 (경상대학교 수의학과) ;
- 김정균 (경상대학교 해양식품공학과.해양산업연구소) ;
- 성낙주 (경상대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 임희경 (광주대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 정미자 (광주대학교 식품영양학과)
- Received : 2016.11.28
- Accepted : 2017.01.03
- Published : 2017.02.28
Dimethylamine (DMA), nitrate, nitrite, and biogenic amines (BA) are precursors of carcinogenic N-nitrosamines. This study investigated contamination levels of DMA, nitrate, nitrite, and BA in various types of Korean commercial kimchi such as Baechu kimchi, Kkakduki, Chonggak kimchi, Matkimchi, ripened Baechu kimchi, and Baek kimchi. The average DMA, nitrate, and nitrite levels in Baechu kimchi were 29.7, 2,178.8, and 3.0 mg/kg, respectively. Low levels of DMA and nitrate were detected in Kkakduki. Tryptamine, putrescine, cadaverine, tyramine, and spermidine were detected in kimchi with exclusion of Baek kimchi and Chonggak kimchi. Tryptamine in Baek kimchi was only present in trace amount, and spermidine was not detected in Chonggak kimchi. The average tryptamine, putrescine, cadaverine, tyramine, and spermidine levels in Baechu kimchi were 15.0, 64.6, 18.0, 44.0, and 7.8 mg/kg, respectively. A low level of tyramine was detected in Kkakduki. In addition, contamination of N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) was detected in Kkakduki at a level of
Supported by : 세계김치연구소
- Mitacek EJ, Brunnemann KD, Suttajit M, Martin N, Limsila T, Ohshima H, Caplan LS. 1999. Exposure to N-nitroso compounds in a population of high liver cancer regions in Thailand: volatile nitrosamine (VNA) levels in Thai food. Food Chem Toxicol 37: 297-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6915(99)00017-4
- Kim SH, Wishnok, JS, Tannenbaum SR. 1985. Formation of N-nitrosodimethylamine in Korean seafood sauce. J Agric Food Chem 33: 17-19. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00061a005
- Chung MJ, Lee SH, Sung NJ. 2002. Inhibitory effect of whole strawberries, garlic juice or kale juice on endogenous formation of N-nitrosodimethylamine in humans. Cancer Lett 182: 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(02)00076-9
- Al Bulushi I, Poole S, Deeth HC, Dykes GA. 2009. Biogenic amines in fish: roles in intoxication, spoilage, and nitrosamine formation. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 49: 369-377. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408390802067514
- Drabik-Markiewicz G, Dejaegher B, De Mey E, Kowalska T, Paelinck H, Vander Heyden Y. 2011. Influence of putrescine, cadaverine, spermidine or spermine on the formation of N-nitrosamine in heated cured pork meat. Food Chem 126: 1539-1545. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.11.149
- Ancin-Azpilicueta C, Gonzalez-Marco A, Jimenez-Moreno N. 2008. Current knowledge about the presence of amines in wine. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 48: 257-275. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408390701289441
- Nomura Y, Schmidt-Glenewinkel T, Giacobini E, Ortiz J. 1983. Metabolism of cadaverine and pipecolic acid in brain and other organs of the mouse. J Neurosci Res 9: 279-289. https://doi.org/10.1002/jnr.490090305
- Warthesen JJ, Scanlan RA, Bills DD, Libbey LM. 1975. Formation of heterocyclic N-nitrosamines from the reaction of nitrite and selected primary diamines and amino acids. J Agric Food Chem 23: 898-902. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60201a004
- Mey ED, Maere HD, Goemaere O, Steen L, Peeters MC, Derdelinckx G, Paelinck H, Fraeye I. 2014. Evaluation of N-nitrosopiperidine formation from biogenic amines during the production of dry fermented sausages. Food Bioprocess Tech 7: 1269-1280. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11947-013-1125-5
- Kang KH, Lee SJ, Ha ES, Sung NJ, Kim JG, Kim SH, Kim SH, Chung MJ. 2016. Effects of nitrite and nitrate contents of Chinese cabbage on formation of N-nitrosodimethylamine during storage of kimchi. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 45: 117-125. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.1.117
- Cho TY, Han GH, Bahn KN, Son YW, Jang MR, Lee CH, Kim SH, Kim DB, Kim SB. 2006. Evaluation of biogenic amines in Korean commercial fermented food. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38: 730-737.
- Dyer WJ, Mounsey YA. 1945. Amines in fish muscle II. Development of trimethylamine and other amines. J Fish Res Board Can 6: 359-367.
- Gou J, Lee HY, Ahn JH. 2010. Effect of high pressure processing on the quality of squid (Todarodes pacificus) during refrigerated storage. Food Chem 119: 471-476. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.06.042
- Seo J, Lim H, Chang YH, Park HR, Ham BK, Jeong JK, Choi KS, Park SB, Choi HJ, Hwang J. 2015. Effect of Jeju Citus unshiu peel extracts before and after bioconversion with cytolase on anti-inflammatory activity in RAW264.7 cells. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 44: 331-337. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.3.331
- Kim JD, Lee OH, Lee JS, Jung HY. 2014. Safety effects against nitrite and nitrosamines as well as anti-mutagenic potentials of kale and Angelica keiskei vegetable juices. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 43: 1207-1216. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.8.1207
- Raikos N, Fytianos K, Samara C, Samanidou V. 1988. Comparative study of different techniques for nitrate determination in environmental water samples. Fresenius Z Anal Chem 331: 495-498. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00467037
- Yang HJ, Jeong SJ, Jeong SY, Heo JH, Jeong DY. 2015. Screening of biogenic amine non-producing yeast and optimization of culture conditions using statistical method for manufacturing black raspberry wine. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 44: 592-601. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.4.592
- Kim SH, Kang KH, Kim SH, Lee S, Lee SH, Ha ES, Sung NJ, Kim JG, Chung MJ. 2017. Lactic acid bacteria directly degrade N-nitrosodimethylamine and increase the nitritescavenging ability in kimchi. Food Control 71: 101-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2016.06.039
- Jo CH, Park HR, Kim DS, Lee KH, Kim MH. 2010. Exposure assessment of N-nitrosamines in foods. Korean J Food Sci Technol 42: 541-548.
- Dybing E, O'Brien J, Renwick AG, Sanner T. 2008. Risk assessment of dietary exposures to compounds that are genotoxic and carcinogenic-An overview. Toxicol Lett 180: 110-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxlet.2008.05.007
- Kang KH, Kim SH, Kim SH, Kim JG, Sung NJ, Lee SJ, Chung MJ. 2016. Effects of amount and type of Jeotgal, a traditional Korean salted and fermented seafood, on N-nitrosodimethylamine formation during storage of kimchi. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 45: 1302-1309. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.9.1302
- Baek HH, Kwon HJ, Choi SH, Lee KW. 2010. Safety of food additives. Korea Food Safety Research Institute, Seoul, Korea. p 21.
- Shin JH, Kang MJ, Yang SM, Kim HS, Sung NJ. 2002. Contents of nitrite in vegetables and fruits. J Fd Hyg Safety 17: 101-105.
- Korean Food and Drug Administration. 2016. Knowing food safety level. KFDA, Osong, Korea.