- Volume 46 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Patient Satisfaction and Perception on Nutritional Counseling Services Quality
영양 상담서비스 품질에 대한 환자의 만족도와 인식조사
- Choi, Ki Bo (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Pukyong National University) ;
- Lee, Song Mi (Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Severance Hospital) ;
- Lee, Seung Min (Department of Food & Nutrition, Sungshin Women's University) ;
- Lee, Eun (Department of Health Care Center, Konkuk University Medical Center) ;
- Park, Mi Sun (Department of Food and Nutrition Care, Seoul National University Hospital) ;
- Park, Yoo Kyoung (Department of Medical Nutrition, Kyung Hee National University) ;
- Cha, Jin A (Department of Korean Cuisine, Jeonju University) ;
- Lyu, Eun Soon (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Pukyong National University)
- 최기보 (부경대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 이송미 (세브란스병원 영양팀) ;
- 이승민 (성신여자대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 이은 (건국대학교병원 헬스케어센터) ;
- 박미선 (서울대학교병원 급식영양과) ;
- 박유경 (경희대학교 동서의학대학원 의학영양학과) ;
- 차진아 (전주대학교 한식조리학과) ;
- 류은순 (부경대학교 식품영양학과)
- Received : 2016.10.24
- Accepted : 2017.01.12
- Published : 2017.02.28
The objective of this study was to analyze patient satisfaction and perception of nutritional counseling services quality. A patient satisfaction and perception survey was conducted for 1,095 patients from 43 tertiary hospitals and 20 general hospitals. The number of returned questionnaires was 656 (response rate: 60.0%). Data from 633 questionnaires were analyzed after the questionnaires with unanswered items were excluded. Five domains were identified from the result of the factor analysis using the maximum likelihood and oblique rotation. The five domains were named empathy, responsiveness, tangibles, reliability, and skill and specialty. Patient perception mean score of nutritional counseling was 4.54/5.00. Patient satisfaction scores were significantly higher in empathy (P<0.001), responsiveness, and skill and specialty (P<0.01) with a college or graduate school education than in patients with a middle school education. There was no statistically significant difference between satisfaction scores in tertiary hospitals and those in general hospitals, but patients in capital hospitals reported significantly higher scores than their local counterparts in empathy, responsiveness, reliability, skill and specialty (P<0.001), and tangibles (P<0.05). In responsiveness, significantly higher (P<0.01) scores were observed in patients who received nutritional counseling only once compared to patients who received counseling two times. Patients perception of nutritional counseling services was significantly correlated with their satisfaction of five domains, reliability (r=0.721), responsiveness (r=0.697), empathy (r=0.690), skill and specialty (r=0.678), and tangibles (r=0.622).
Supported by : 보건복지부
- Hoadley PK, Vaden AG, Spears MC. 1981. Role differentiation of dietitians and dietetic technicians: implications for technician education programs. J Am Diet Assoc 79: 145-153.
- Parks SC, Moody DL. 1986. A marketing model: applications for dietetic professionals. J Am Diet Assoc 86: 37-43.
- Robinson G, Goldstein M, Levine GM. 1987. Impact of nutritional status on DRG length of stay. J Parenter Enteral Nutr 11: 49-51. https://doi.org/10.1177/014860718701100149
- Esmaillzadeh A, Kimiagar M, Mehrabi Y, Azadbakht L, Hu FB, Willett WC. 2006. Fruit and vegetable intakes, C-reactive protein, and the metabolic syndrome. Am J Clin Nutr 84: 1489-1497. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/84.6.1489
- Lee YM. 2011. Evaluation of the effectiveness of nutrition education and counseling on the diet therapy practices of hemodialysis patients. MS Thesis. Kyungpook National University, Daegu, Korea. p 26-84.
- Rajgopal R, Cox RH, Lambur M, Lewis EC. 2002. Costbenefit analysis indicates the positive economic benefits of the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program related to chronic disease prevention. J Nutr Educ Behav 34: 26-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1499-4046(06)60225-X
- Danish SJ. 1975. Developing helping relationships in dietetic counseling. J Am Diet Assoc 67: 107-110.
- Roach RR, Pichert JW, Stetson BA, Lorenz RA, Boswell EJ, Schlundt DG. 1992. Improving dietitians' teaching skills. J Am Diet Assoc 92: 1466-1473.
- Trudeau E, Dube L. 1995. Moderators and determinants of satisfaction with diet counseling for patients consuming a therapeutic diet. J Am Diet Assoc 95: 34-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(95)00010-0
- Parasuraman A, Zeithaml VA, Berry LL. 1988. SERVQUAL: a multiple-item scale for measuring consumer perceptions of service quality. J Retailing 64: 12-40.
- Cronin JJ, Taylor SA. 1992. Measuring service quality: a reexamination and extension. J Marketing 56: 55-68.
- Teas RK. 1993. Expectations, performance evaluation, and consumer's perceptions of quality. J Marketing 57: 18-34. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252216
- Steiber SR, Krowinsky WJ. 1996. Measuring and managing patient satisfaction. American Hospital Association Company, Chicago, IL, USA. p 36-42.
- Ji KJ. 2009. A study of the effects upon satisfaction, intention to revisit and perceived value by patients through the quality of medical services-focused on specialized hospital and general hospital. PhD Dissertation. Keimyung University, Deagu, Korea. p 82-88.
- Cho WH, Lee SH, Choi KS, Moon KT. 1999. Application of the SERVQUAL scale to health care services. Korean J Health Policy Adm 9: 140-156.
- Seo EK. 2004. Development of management items for apply six sigma to quality measuring of medical service. MS Thesis. Chonnam National University, Gwangju, Korea. p 48-50.
- Cha JB, Seo SY, Lee HY. 2013. Analysis on the importance and performance of medical service quality factors based on SERVQUAL. Health Serv Manag Rev 7: 23-34. https://doi.org/10.18014/hsmr.2013.7.3.23
- Kim SM. 2012. A study on the differences between external and internal customers in the perception of medical service quality, customer satisfaction and intention to revisit: focused on hospital-based health promotion centers. MS Thesis. Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea. p 32-51.
- Kang CH, Rhee KG, Kang HG. 2013. A study on the effects of core factors of medical service quality on customers' intention of reuse. Korean J Bus Adm 26: 2227-2251.
- Kim DW. 2009. A study on the effects on service satisfaction and repurchase intention with customer extension concept in the medical sector. Duksung J Soc Sci 15: 133-153.
- Lyu ES, Lee SM, Hyh KY. 1996. A study of satisfaction with nutrition counseling service for consumers. J Korean Diet Assoc 2: 62-68.
- Kim HJ, Kim EM, Lee GJ, Lee JJ, Lim JH, Lee JM, Jeon HJ, Lee HY. 2011. Clinical nutrition service at medical centers in Seoul. J Korean Diet Assoc 17: 176-189.
- Han MH, Lee SM, Lyu ES. 2012. Doctors' perception and needs on clinical nutrition services in hospitals. J Korean Diet Assoc 18: 266-275. https://doi.org/10.14373/JKDA.2012.18.3.266
- Yi JR, Son EJ, Lyu ES. 2010. Perception and satisfaction on nutrition counseling service for patients consuming a therapeutic diet at hospitals in Busan. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 39: 1305-1312. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.9.1305
- Chang JH. 2007. A study on the situation and demand with nutrition service in health promotion center. Korean J Nutr 40: 475-482.
- Lee SC. 2009. A study on the services utilization type & satisfaction perceived by the long term care service users: focus on home care services. PhD Dissertation. Kukje Theological University and Seminary, Daejeon, Korea. p 13-121.
- Choi KB, Lee SM, Lyu ES. 2012. Patient perceptions of clinical nutrition service. J Korean Diet Assoc 18: 59-71. https://doi.org/10.14373/JKDA.2012.18.1.059
- Kim WY, Cho MS, Lee YH, Kim YH, Lee HS. 1998. A study of the payment of nutrition counseling services. J Korean Diet Assoc 4: 53-64.
- Won TY, Jung SW. 2011. SPSS PASW statistics 18.0. Hannarae Publishing Co., Seoul, Korea. p 351-488.
- Lee YJ. 2009. Service marketing. Hakhyunsa, Paju, Korea. p 454-462.
- Gazibarich B. 1996. Quality of dietetics care: the missing customer perspective. Aust J Nutr Diet 53: 48-51.
- Yoon KH, Kweon MY. 2010. A study on the effects of medical care service quality on customer satisfaction and on the intention of revisit. Manag Inf Syst Rev 18: 37-59.
- Kim MY, Kim KJ, Lee KE. 2008. In-patients' food consumption and perception on foodservice quality at hospitals. J Korean Diet Assoc 14: 87-96.
- Lee HY, Chang SH, Yang IS. 2004. Development of quality assessment tool and application to customer-oriented hospital foodservice management. Korean J Nutr 37: 329-338.
- Lee HN, Lee SM, Park YK, Lee SM, Lee E, Cha JA, Park MS, Lee HS, Rha MY, Lyu ES. 2014. Nurses' perception on clinical nutrition services by types of medical institution and area. J Korean Diet Assoc 20: 235-246. https://doi.org/10.14373/JKDA.2014.20.4.235
- Wood ER. 1990. Weight loss maintenance 1 year after individual counseling. J Am Diet Assoc 90: 1256-1260.
- Kim HS. 1999. The effect of nutrition counseling service on the patient's satisfaction. MS Thesis. Pukyong National University, Busan, Korea. p 58-63.