- Volume 46 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Foodservice Satisfaction and Customer Loyalty of University Dormitory Foodservice in Gyeongsangbuk-do Area
경북지역 대학교 기숙사 급식소의 고객만족과 충성도와의 관계
- Lee, Kyung-A (Department of Food and Nutrition, Catholic University of Daegu) ;
- Park, So-Young (Department of Food and Nutrition, Catholic University of Daegu) ;
- Lyu, Eun-Soon (Department of Food Science & Nutrition, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2016.09.28
- Accepted : 2017.01.07
- Published : 2017.02.28
The purpose of this study was to improve satisfaction of university dormitory foodservice customers by analyzing the correlation between foodservice satisfaction and customer loyalty. The questionnaire was distributed to 510 students residing in a dormitory of a University located in Gyengsangbuk-do from 1st to 8th December, 2015. The average customer satisfaction score was 3.19/5.00. The category with the highest score was sanitation, followed by environment, food, reactivity, and menu. Male students showed significantly higher foodservice satisfaction score than females in terms of reactivity (P<0.01) category. Students living in the dormitory for over 2 years were significantly less satisfied with the dormitory foodservice in terms of menu (P<0.05) and reactivity (P<0.001) categories. The average customer loyalty score was 2.73/5.00. Scores for revisit intention, words-of-mouth intention, and intent not to switch were 2.80, 2.73, and 2.65, respectively. Revisit intention and words-of-mouth intention showed a significant (P<0.001) positive correlation with food, environment, menu, sanitation, and reactivity. Non-switching intention showed a significant (P<0.001) positive correlation with food, menu, and reactivity. After classifying customers into four groups according to customer satisfaction and loyalty, a comparison was carried out to determine satisfaction and loyalty by each customer stratum. In the "loyalist" group, satisfaction with sanitation and the advertise intention by revisit and words-of-mouth were significantly higher than in the other groups (P<0.001). In "defector" group, satisfaction with menu (P<0.001) and advertise intention by words-of-mouth (P<0.01) were significantly lower than in the other groups.
- Yang I, Weon C, Kang H. 2000. University residence hall foodservice in Korea: Investigation on the operation and management systems. Korean J Diet Cult 15: 69-78.
- Kang S, Choi KH. 2009. Measurement and analysis of the service quality of dormitory restaurants through a statistical methods. J Korean Data Inf Sci Soc 20: 983-990.
- Yang I, Weon C, Kang H. 2000. Evaluation of customer's patronage behaviors and satisfaction levels towards service quality dimensions of university residence hall foodservice. Korean J Diet Cult 15: 79-94.
- Choi MK, Choi SH, Lee S. 2009. An assessment of customer satisfaction towards university residence hall foodservice and subjective QOL (quality of life): focused on the university students in Daegu, Gyeongbuk area. Korean J Community Nutr 14: 114-122.
- Choi EN. 2010. Quality evaluation of university dormitory foodservice in Chungbuk Province. MS Thesis. Chungbuk National University, Cheongju, Korea. p 52-58.
- Im MY. 2010. Assessment student's eating behaviors of demands towards university residence hall food services in Gyeongju area. MS Thesis. Yeungnam University, Gyeongbuk, Korea. p 31-35.
- Hong SM. 2011. University students's recognition and importance on meal service of university dormitory. MS Thesis. Mokpo National University, Jeonnam, Korea. p 8-9.
- Han AR. 2011. A survey on the satisfaction to the food service in the dormitories of some universities in Gwang Ju, dining habit and preferences. MS Thesis. Sungshin Women's University, Seoul, Korea. p 5-20.
- Yi Y, Lee C. 2007. The role of customer loyalty variables in the effects of customer satisfaction on firm's performance. J Korean Marketing Assoc 22: 81-102.
- Yi NY. 2015. Mediating effects of perceived value on the relationship between university foodservice quality attributes and satisfaction of Chinese students in Daejeon. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 44: 1750-1758. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.11.1750
- Kim SH, Kwon S, Ly SY. 2005. Comparison of student's satisfaction with sanitary, environment, and service of college food service by operating system. Korean J Community Nutr 10: 331-340.
- Kim HC. 2006. A study on the causal model of student's perceived service quality, affect and satisfaction in college and university foodservices. Korean J Tourism Research 20(3): 245-262.
- Yang I, Shin S, Kim H. 2000. The effects of customer expectations & satisfaction on customer loyalty in restaurants. Korean J Community Nutr 5: 225-235.
- Oliver RL. 1999. Whence consumer loyalty?. J Marketing 63: 33-44.
- Yi YJ, La SA. 2002. The relationship of customer satisfaction, adjusted expectation and repurchase intention: the moderating role of customer loyalty. J Custom Stud 13: 51-78.
- Song E. 2006. A study on the effect of the well-being awareness on the satisfaction of university dormitory foodservice. J Korean Home Econ Assoc 44: 161-170.
- Jung HY, Jeon ER. 2011. Preference for Korean food and satisfaction of dormitory foodservice by Chinese students studying at Mokpo National University. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 283-289. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.2.283
- Do HW. 2001. Analysis on the menu quality for the marketing strategies in university residence hall foodservice. MS Thesis. Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea. p 7-22.
- Choi SY. 2010. A study on evaluations of customer satisfaction for university dormitory cafeteria food service. MS Thesis. Youngsan University, Busan, Korea. p 30-56.
- Kim HS. 2013. Study on relationship between satisfaction, loyalty, and subjective quality of life: Generation Y consumers in university foodservice. J Korean Data Anal Soc 15: 489-500.
- Kim H, Yang I, Shin S. 2000. Effect of the service providers perceived service quality on customer loyalty in restaurants. Korean J Community Nutr 5: 236-242.
- Lee KA, Lyu ES. 2010. Relationship between satisfaction with foodservice and customer loyalty of university students in Busan. Korean J Food Cook Sci 26: 413-421.
- Kim HA. 2006. Effect of the consumer's perception of the university foodservice quality on the consumer attitude. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 35: 815-822. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.6.815
- Kim SH, Kim HS, Lyu ES. 2009. Relations among foodservice quality between customer loyalty of high school students in Busan area. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1271-1278. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.9.1271
- Kim HJ, Lyu ES. 2013. Relationship between foodservice satisfaction and customer loyalty in industry contracted foodservice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 1318-1324. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.8.1318
- Son ES, Jung MW, Lee JH. 2015. The effect of selection properties on the customer satisfaction and loyalty in context of institution foodservice -Moderating effect of number of use-. Korean J Culinary Res 21: 55-71.
- Kang GW, Yoo SR, Ko JY. 2015. The effect of foodservice employee's ability of communication on service quality, customer satisfaction and customer loyalty. J Tourism Leisure Research 27(6): 169-190.
- Lim YH, Kim MW, Kwak HO, Park SH. 2002. Survey of foodservice satisfaction on Daejeon University dormitory restaurant. Living Sci 8: 65-77.
- Jung HY. 2013. A study on utilization and perceived service quality of the university foodservice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 633-643. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.4.633
- Yang JY, Shin SJ. 2013. Foodservice customer's WOM motivation and WOM intention. Korean Busin Educ Rev 28(6): 23-49.
- Choi YM, Mun SS, Park KY. 2015. The effect of fastfood restaurant service quality, customer satisfaction on customer loyalty in area of Jeonnam. Int J Tour Hospit Res 29: 181-194.
- Shin HC, Na JK. 2015. The study on relation between relationship marketing of food service establishments and re-visit intention -Focusing on the customers using restaurants in office area zone-. J Foodservice Management 18: 83-102.
- Perception of Foodservice Quality according to the Customer Loyalty among University Students in Daegu·Gyeongbuk Area vol.34, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2018.34.1.113