- Volume 46 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Properties of Cookies Supplemented with Taraxacum coreanum Powder
흰 민들레 분말을 첨가한 쿠키의 품질 및 산화방지 활성
- Lee, Yeong Mi (Department of Food Engineering, Daegu University) ;
- Shin, Hyeong Sik (Department of Food Engineering, Daegu University) ;
- Lee, Jun Ho (Department of Food Engineering, Daegu University)
- Received : 2016.09.30
- Accepted : 2017.02.02
- Published : 2017.02.28
This study was conducted to investigate the quality characteristics and antioxidant properties of cookies supplemented with 2~8% (w/w) Taraxacum coreanum powder (TCP). The pH and moisture content of cookie dough decreased significantly (P<0.05) while density was not influenced significantly by increasing levels of TCP. The spread ratio and loss rate of cookies increased significantly with increasing levels of TCP (P<0.05). Lightness, redness, and yellowness decreased significantly with higher amount of TCP (P<0.05). The use of TCP significantly increased hardness of cookies while 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl and 2,2'-azino-bis(3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-sulfonic acid) radical scavenging activities were significantly elevated (P<0.05). The consumer acceptance test indicated that addition of 2% TCP had a favorable effect on consumer preferences in all attributes. Based on overall observations, cookies with 2% TCP can take advantage of the functional properties of TCP without sacrificing consumer acceptability.
- Park MS, So JS, Bahk GJ. 2015. Antioxidative and anticancer activities of water extracts from different parts of Taraxacum coreanum Nakai cultivated in Korea. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 44: 1234-1240. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.8.1234
- Shin SA, Lee HN, Choo GS, Kim HJ, Park BK, Kim BS, Jung JY. 2016. Induction of apoptosis in human cancer cells with extracts of Taraxacum coreanum, Youngia sonchifolia and Ixeris dentate. J Food Hyg Saf 31: 51-58. https://doi.org/10.13103/JFHS.2016.31.1.51
- Lee HH, Kim YS, Park HY. 2007. Plant regeneration via organogenesis from leaf explant culture of Taraxacum coreanum Nakai. Korean J Med Crop Sci 15: 62-66.
- Lee EB, Kim JK, Kim OK. 1993. The antigastritic effect of Taraxaci Herba. Kor J Pharmacogn 24: 313-318.
- Heo SI, Wang MH. 2008. Antioxidant activity and cytotoxicity effect of extracts from Taraxacum mongolicum H.. Kor J Pharmacogn 39: 255-259.
- Gonzalez-Castejon M, Visioli F, Rodriguez-Casado A. 2012. Diverse biological activities of dandelion. Nutr Rev 70: 534-547. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2012.00509.x
- Han JS, Kim JA, Han GP, Kim DS, Kozukue N, Lee KR. 2004. Quality characteristics of functional cookies with added potato peel. Korean J Food Cook Sci 20: 607-613.
- Jung HO, Lee JJ, Lee MY. 2008. The characteristics of cookie and muffin made with soybean pasta powder and sun-dried salt. Korean J Food Preserv 15: 505-511.
- Kim SY, Chung HJ. 2011. Quality characteristics of cookies made with flaxseed powder. Food Eng Prog 15: 235-242.
- Cho HS, Kim KH. 2013. Quality characteristics of cookies prepared with Loquat (Eriobotrya japonica Lindl.) leaf powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42: 1799-1804. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.11.1799
- Lee JY, Ju JC, Park HJ, Heu ES, Choi SY, Shin JH. 2006. Quality characteristics of cookies with bamboo leaves powder. Korean J Food Nutr 19: 1-7.
- Kim GS, Park GS. 2008. Quality characteristics of cookies prepared with lotus leaf powder. Korean J Food Cook Sci 24: 398-404.
- Jeong EJ, Kim KP, Bang BH. 2012. Quality characteristics of cookies added with guava (Psidium guajava L.) leaf powder. Korean J Food Nutr 25: 317-323. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.2.317
- Yoo KM, Kim SH, Chang JH, Hwang IK, Kim KI, Kim SS, Kim YC. 2005. Quality characteristic of Sulgidduk containing different levels of dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) leaves and roots powder. Korean J Food Cook Sci 21: 110-116.
- Kang MJ. 2002. Quality characteristics of the bread added dandelion leaf powder. Korean J Food Preserv 9: 221-227.
- We GJ, Lee I, Kang TY, Min JH, Kang WS, Ko S. 2011. Physicochemical properties of extruded rice flours and a wheat flour substitute for cookie application. Food Eng Prog 15: 404-412.
- AACC. 2000. Approved methods of the AACC. American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN, USA. Method 10-50D.
- Jung KJ, Lee SJ. 2011. Quality characteristics of rice cookies prepared with sea mustard (Undaria pinnatifida Suringer) powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 1453-1459. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.10.1453
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic Biol Med 26: 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- SAS. 2015. SAS User's Guide. Ver. 9.3. SAS Institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- Cho HS, Park BH, Kim KH, Kim HA. 2006. Antioxidative effect and quality characteristics of cookies made with sea tangle powder. J Korean Food Cult 21: 541-549.
- Martins SIFS, Jongen WMF, van Boekel MAJS. 2001. A review of Maillard reaction in food and implications to kinetic modelling. Trends Food Sci Tech 11: 364-373.
- Lim JA, Lee JH. 2015. Quality and antioxidant properties of cookies supplemented with black sesame powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 44: 1058-1063. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.7.1058
- Miller RA, Hoseney RC, Morris CF. 1997. Effect of formula water content on the spread of sugar-snap cookies. Cereal Chem 74: 669-671. https://doi.org/10.1094/CCHEM.1918.104.22.1689
- Choi HY. 2009. Antioxidant activity and quality characteristics of pine needle cookies. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1414-1421. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.10.1414
- Yang SM, Kim SH, Shin JH, Kang MJ, Sung NJ. 2010. Quality characteristics of cookies added with asparagus powder. J Agric Life Sci 44: 67-74.
- Park HY, An NY, Ryu HK. 2013. The quality characteristics and hypoglycemic effect of cookies containing Helianthus tuberosus powder. Korean J Community Living Sci 24: 233-241. https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2013.24.2.233
- Lee JA. 2015. Quality characteristics of cookies added with kale powder. Korean J Culinary Res 21: 40-52.
- Hoseney RC, Hsu KS, Junge RC. 1979. A simple spread test to measure the rheological properties of fermenting dough. Cereal Chem 56: 141-143.
- Yoo KM, Kim DO, Lee CY. 2007. Evaluation of different methods of antioxidant measurement. Food Sci Biotechnol 16: 177-182.
- Kim YE, Yang JW, Lee CH, Kwon EK. 2009. ABTS radical scavenging and anti-tumor effect of Tricholoma matsutake Sing. (pine mushroom). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 555-560. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.5.555
- Oh HK. 2013. Nutritional composition and antioxidative activity of different parts of Taraxacum coreanum according to drying methods. J Korean Diet Assoc 19: 389-399. https://doi.org/10.14373/JKDA.2013.19.4.389
- Choi HY, Oh SY, Lee YS. 2009. Antioxidant activity and quality characteristics of perilla leaves (Perilla frutescens var. japonica HARA) cookies. Korean J Food Cook Sci 25:521-530.