- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Association Study between Serum Uric Acid Level and Metabolic Syndrome
혈청 요산 농도와 대사증후군과의 연관성에 대한 연구
- Received : 2016.11.07
- Accepted : 2016.12.08
- Published : 2017.02.28
This research aimed to identify the correlation between the metabolic syndrome, which is one of the cardiovascular risk factors and emerging as an issue in the society, and the serum uric acid level. The research was conducted on a total of 1,444 patients who took a medical examination at a health examination center. The research subjects were composed of 977 men and 467 women. By conducting physical measurement and the blood test on the subjects, the research identified the correlation between the serum uric acid level and the metabolic syndrome and compared the number of the risk factors by dividing the class of the serum uric acid. The average level of serum uric acid was identified higher in men at
Uric Acid;Metabolic Syndrome;Cardiovascular Risk Factors
- G. M. Reaven, "Role insulin resistance in human disease," Diabetes, Vol.37, pp.1595-1607, 1988. https://doi.org/10.2337/diab.37.12.1595
- R. A. DeFonzo and E. Ferrannini, "Insulin resistance: a multifaceted syndrome responsible for NIDDM, obesity, hypertension, dyslipidemia, and atherosclerotic carudiovascular disease," Diabetes Care, Vol.14, pp.173-194, 1991.
- A. D. Liese, E. J. Mayer-Davis, H. A. Tyroler, C. E. Davis, U. Keil, and M. I. Schimidt, "Familial components of the multiple metabolic syndrome: the ARIC study," Diabetologia, Vol.40, pp.963-970, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001250050775
- Y. Hong, N. L. Pedersen, K. Brismar, and Y. de Faire, "Genetic and environmental architecture of the features of the insulin-resistance syndrome," Am J Genet, Vol.40, pp.963-970, 1997.
- X. Sui, T. S. Church, R. A. Meriwether, F. Lobelo, and S. N. Blair, "Uricaci d and the development of metabolic syndrome in women and men," Metabolism, Vol.57, No.6, pp.845-852, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2008.01.030
- H. K. Choi and E. S. Ford, "Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome in individuals with yperuricemia," Am J Med, Vol.120, No.5, pp.442-447, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2006.06.040
- T. Nakagawa, K. R. Tuttles, R. A. Short, and R. J. Johnson, "Hypothesis: fructose-induced hyperuricemia as a causal mechanism for the epidemic of the metabolic syndrome," Nat Clin Pract Nephrol, Vol.1, No.2, pp.80-86, 2005.
- K. Masuo, H. Kawaguchi, H. Mikami, T. Ogihara, and M. L. Tuck, "Serum uric acid and plasma norepinephrine concentrations predict subsequent weight gain and blood pressure elevation," Hypertension, Vol.42, No.4, pp.474-480, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.HYP.0000091371.53502.D3
- A. Dehghan, M. van Hoek, E. J. Sijbrands, A. Hofman, and J. C. Witteman, "High serum uric acid as a novel risk factor for type 2 diabetes," Diabetes Care, Vol.31, No.2, pp.361-362, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc07-1276
- M. H. Alderman, H. Cohen, S. Madhavean, and K. Salah, "Serum uric acid and cardiovascular events in successfully treated hypertensive patients," Hypertension, Vol.34, No.1, pp.144-150, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.HYP.34.1.144
- B. Alverez-Lario and J. Macarron-Vicente, "Uric acid and evolution," Rheuma-tology, Vol.49, pp.2010-2015, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/keq204
- E. P. De Oliveira and R. C. Burini, "High plasma uric acid concentration: causes and consequences," Diabetology & Metabolic syndrome, Vol.4, pp.4-12, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1186/1758-5996-4-4
- B. Rocic, M. Vucic-Lovrencic, N. Poje, M. Poje, and F. Bertuzzi, "Uric acid may inhibit glucose-induced insulin secretion via binding to an essential arginine residue in rat pancreatic beta-cells," Bioorg Med Chem Lett, Vol.15, No.4, pp.1181-1184, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmcl.2004.12.003
- R. Klein, B. E. Klein, J. C. Cornoni, J. Maready, J. C. Cassel, and H. A. Tyroler, "Serum uric acid: its relationship to coronary heart disease risk factors and cardiovascular disease in Evans County, Georgia," Ann Intern Med., Vol.132, pp.401-410, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.1973.03650090077014
- H. A. Kahn, J. H. Medalie, H. N. Neufeld, E. Riss, and U. Goldbourt, "The incidence of hypertension and associated factors: the Israel ischemic heart disease study," Am Heart J., Vol.84, pp.171-182, 1972. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-8703(72)90331-6
- J. V. Selby, G. D. Friedman, and C. P. Quesenberry Jr, "Precursors of essential hypertension: pulmonary function, heart rate, uric acid, serum cholesterol, and other serum chemistries," Am J Epidemiol, Vol.131, pp.1017-1027, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a115593
- F. Jossa, E. Farinaro, S. Panico, V. Krogh, E. Celentano, and R. Galasso, "Serum uric acid and hypertension: the Olivetti heart study," J Hum Hypertens, Vol.8, pp.677-681, 1994.
- I. Zavaroni, S. Mazza, M. Fantuzzi, E. Dall''Aglio, E. Bonora, and R. Delsignore, "Changes in insulin and lipid metabolism in males with asymptomatic hyperuricaemia," J Intern Med, Vol.234, pp.25-30, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2796.1993.tb00700.x
- H. Vuorinen-Markkola and H. Yki-Jarvinen, "Hyperuricemia and insulin resistance," J Clin Endocrinol Metab, Vol.78, pp.25-29, 1994.
- M. Cigolini, G. Targher, M. Tonoli, F. Manara, M. Muggeo, and G. De Sandre, "Hyperuricaemia: relationship to body fat distribution and other components of the insulin resistance syndrome in 38-year-old healthy men and women," Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord, Vol.19, pp.92-96, 1995.
- C. M. Alexander, P. B. Landsman, S. M. Teutsch, and S. M. Haffner, "NCEP defined metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and prevalence of coronary heart disease among NHANES III participants age 50 years and older," Diabetes, Vol.52, pp.1210-1204, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.52.5.1210
- B. S. Cha and H. J. Kim, "Metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease," Korean Circ J., Vol.33, pp.645-652, 2003. https://doi.org/10.4070/kcj.2003.33.8.645
- J. R. Sowers and M. Lester, "Diabetes and cardiovascular disease," Diabetes Care, Vol.22, Suppl.3, pp.C14-20, 1999.
- M. Mazzali, J. Kanellis, L. Han, L. Feng, Y. Y. Xia, and Q. Chen, "Hyperuricemia induces a primary arteriolopathy in rats by a blood pressureindependent mechanism," Am J Physiol Renal Physiol, Vol.282, pp.F991-997, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajprenal.00283.2001
- H. J. Ward, "Uric acid as an independent risk factor in the treatment of hypertension," Lancet, Vol.352, pp.670-671, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)60816-1
- M. H. Ginsberg, F. Kozin, M. O'Malley, and D. J. McCarty, "Release of platelet constituents by monosodium urate crystals," J Clin Invest, Vol.60, pp.999-1007, 1997.
- J. G. Wheeler, K. D. M. Juzwishin, G. Eiriksdottir, V. Gudnason, and J. Danesh, "Serum uric acid and coronary heart disease in 9,458 incident cases and 155,084 controls: prospective study and meta-analysis," PloS Med, Vol.2, No.3, pp.236-234, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0020236
- B. H. Solymoss, M. G. Bourassa, L. Campeau, A. Sniderman, M. Marcil, and J. Lesperance, "Effect of Increasing Metabolic syndrome score on atherosclerotic risk profile and coronary artery disease angiographic severity," Am J Cardiol, Vol.93, pp.159-164, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2003.09.032
- V. Regitz-Zagrosek, E. Lehmkuhl, and M. O. Weickert, "Gender differences in the metabolic syndrome and their role for cardiovascular disease," Clin Res Cardiol, Vol.95, pp.136-147, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00392-006-0351-5
- H. S. Park, S. W. Oh, J. H. Kang, Y. W. Park, and J. M Choi, "Prevalence and associated factors with metabolic syndrome in South Korea: from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1998," J Korean Soc Study Obes, Vol.12, pp.1-14, 2003.
- H. Sumino, S. Ichikawa, T. Kanda, T. Nakamura, and T. Sakamaki, "Reduction of serum uric acid by hormone replacement therapy in postmenopausal women with hyperuricaemia," Lancet, Vol.354, p.650, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(99)92381-4
- Kap-Tae Park, In-Sik Kim, Se-Cheol Yoo, Jin-Seok Yoon, Tae-Ho Ahn, and Jung-Hwa Lee, "Relationship between Serum Uric Acid, Abdominal Obesity, and Waist Circumference in Korean," Korean J Clin Lab Sci., Vol.44, No.2, pp.39-45, 2012.
- S. M. Grundy, "Approach to lipoprotein management in 2001 National Cholesterol Guidelines," Am J Cardiol, Vol.90, pp.11-21, 2002.