- Volume 17 Issue 2
Online education is a new domain of learning that combines distance learning with the practice of face-to-face instruction utilizing computer-mediated communication. As technology continues to develop and the needs of teachers require better access to higher learning, online graduate degree programs can be a valid alternative. Some institutions in the United States have already offered graduate degrees in music education through the online distance learning. In this study, 8 accredited online graduate degree programs in music education were identified in terms of curriculum requirement, program requirement, and admission requirement. Online programs offer considerable benefits of convenience, while their drawbacks relates to the quality of learning, feelings of weaker interpersonal interaction. More researches need in order for online music programmers to achieve higher standards of instruction and to inform other disciplines in the fields of arts education and the performing arts.
- 오은진, 성인학습자의 학습유형에 따른 e-Learning (원격)학습 효과 제고 방안, 한국직업능력개발원, 2003.
- J. Sherbon and D. Kish, "Distance Learning and the Music Teacher," Music Educators Journal, Vol.92, No.2, pp.36-41, 2005. https://doi.org/10.2307/3400195
- Y. Lee and H. Nguyen, "Get your Degree from an Educational ATM: An Empirical Study in Online Education," International Journal on E-Learning, Vol.6, No.1, pp.31-40, 2007.
- 한국교육개발원 교육기본통계(2011-2016).
- 박명숙, "온라인 음악교육에서 이러닝 품질이 학습성과에 미치는 영향연구," 음악교육공학, 제28권, pp.1-15, 2016.
- 김현수, 최형림, 김선희, "가상교육의 핵심성공요인," 교육공학연구, 제15권, 제1호, pp.241-264, 1999.
- L. Densford, "Motorola University: The Next 20 Years," Corporate University Review, Vol.7, No.1, pp.1-9, 1999.
- P. Burnard, "Reframing Creativity and Technology: Promoting Pedagogic Change in Music Education," J. of Music, Technology and Education, Vol.1, 2007.
- K. Walls, "Distance Learning in Graduate Music Teacher Education Promoting Professional Development and Satisfaction of Music Teachers," J. of Music Teacher Education, Vol.18, pp.55-66, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/1057083708323137
- S. Crim, "An Examination of Social Presence in an Online Learning Environment," Dissertation Abstracts International(UMI No. 3234239), 2006.
- V. Fung, "Perception of the Need for Introducing Flexible Learning in Graduate Studies in Music Education: A Case Study," College Music Symposium, Vol.44, pp.107-120, 2004.
- J. Adams and M. DeFleur, "The Acceptability of Online Degrees Earned as a Credential for Obtaining Employment," Communication Education, Vol.551, No.1, pp.32-45, 2006.
- R. Kos Jr. and A. Goodrich, "Music Teachers' Professional Growth: Experiences of Gaduates from an Online Graduate Degree Program," Visions of Research in Music Education, Vol.22, pp.1-26, 2012.
- N. Kruse, S. Harlos, R. Callahan, and M. Herring, "Skype Music Lessons in the Academy: Intersections of Music Education, Applied Music and Technology," J. of Music, Technology and Education, Vol.6, pp.43-60, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1386/jmte.6.1.43_1
- www.auburn.edu/music,www.bu.edu/cfa/music, www.ecu.edu/ music, www.finearts.ohio.edu/music,www.music.sfasu.edu.www.hawaii.edu/uhmmusic,www.umt.edu.www.usm.edu/music
- S. Levy, "Six Factors to Consider when Planning Online Distance Learning Programs in Higher Education," Online J. of Distance Learning Administration, Vol.6, No.1, 2003.
- R. Palloff and K. Pratt, Building Learning Communities in Cyberspace, Jossey-Bass, 1999.
- L. Zheng and S. Smaldino, "Key Instructional Design Elements for Distance Education," The Quarterly Review of Distance Education, Vol.4, No.2, pp.153-166, 2003.
- M. William, "Online Education in School," The International J. of Educational Management, Vol.14, No.7, pp.315-324, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1108/09513540010378969