- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Review of Research Trends on Virtual Reality-Based Intervention for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders and Intervention Characteristics
자폐 범주성 학생을 위한 가상현실 기반 중재 연구동향 및 중재 특성 고찰
- Received : 2016.10.13
- Accepted : 2016.12.02
- Published : 2017.02.28
The use of virtual reality(VR)-based interventions for students with autism spectrum disorders(ASD) has received special attention as evidence-based practices for its feasiblity, practicality, and appropriateness. However, there is little research to investigate the effects of VR-based intervention for students with ASD in Korea. This study identifies and reviews studies applying VR-based interventions. In total, 13 experimental studies were found that examine the effects of VR interventions published from 1990 to 2016. The selected studies were analyzed by 6 variables including publication year, participants, research design, independent variable, dependent variable, and outcome. The results of this study showed the feasibility of the implementing VR-based interventions in various age group students with ASD. In addition, the utilization of VR techniques was particularly effective in improving a wide range of social communication skills including facial recognition, empathy, joint attention, understanding social context, and resolving issues due to limited cognitive abilities. Several recommendations for the future study on VR-based intervention for students with ASD such as interdisciplinary approach to VR-based interventions, support needs regarding characteristics of ASD, generalization and maintenance of acquired technology, and consideration for participants' cultural background. were discussed.
Virtual Reality;Autism Spectrum Disorders;Intervention
- 국립특수교육원 특수교육통계자료, 2015. 2016
- C. Wong, S. L. Odom, K. A. Hume, A. W. Cox, A. Fettig, S. Kuncharczyk, M. E. Brock, J. B. Plavnick, V. P. Fleury, and T. R. Schultz, "Evidence-based practices for children, youth, and young adults with Autism spectrum disorder," Journal of Autismand Developmental Disorder, Vol.3, No.2, pp.1951-1966, 2015.
- S. L. Odom, B. Boyd, L. Hall, and K. Hume, (2014a). Handbook of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorders, Wiley, 2014.
- J. A. Keintz, M. S. Goodwin, G. R. Hayes, and G. D. Abowd, Interactive technologies for autism, Morgan & Claypool, 2013
- S. Barreto and S. K. Adams, "Digital technology and youth: a developmental approach," The Brown University Child and Adolescent Behavior Letter, Vol.27, No.6, pp.1058-1073, 2011.
- D. Strickland, L. M. Marcus, G. B. Mesibow, and K. Hogan, "Brief report: two case studies using virtual reality as a learning tool for autistic children," Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, Vol.26, No.6, pp.651-659, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02172354
- S. Parsons, P. Mitchell, and A. Leonard, "Do adolescents with autistic spectrum Disorders adhere to social Conventions with Autistic Spectrum Disorder," Autism, Vol.9, No.1, pp.95-117, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361305049032
- G. Lorenzo, J. Pomares, and A. Lledo, "Inclusion of immersive virtual learning environments and visual control systems to support the learning of students with Asperger Syndrome," Computer & Education, Vol.62, pp.88-101, 2012.
- S. Wallace, S. Parsons, A. Westbury, K. White, and A. Bailey, "Sense of presence and atypical social judgments in immersive virtual Environments," Autism, Vol.14, No.3, pp.199-213, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361310363283
- 조우련, 박은혜, "가상현실 기반 게임 중재가 지체장애 학생의 보치아 던지기 수행에 미치는 영향," 지체.중복.건강 장애 연구, 제56권, 제1호, pp.121-140, 2013
- 강민수, 백삼현, "가상현실 댄스프로그램이 지적장애 청소년의 신체적응행동과 효과성에 관한 연구," 초등교육연구, 제26권, 제1호, pp.253-262, 2015.
- 조무신, "가상현실게임 프로그램이 발달장애 아동의 눈-손 협응력에 미치는 영향," 대한지역사회작업치료학회지, 제5권, 제1호, pp.63-69, 2015.
- 손지영, 염명숙, "자폐성장애 학생을 위한 가상현실 기반 중재 연구에 대한 고찰," 특수교육저널:이론과 실천, 제16권, 제4호, pp.433-458, 2015.
- F. R. Volkmar, B. Reichow, A. Westphal, and D. S. Mandell, Handbook of Autism and Pervasive Development Disorders, Hoboken, 2014.
- 이소현, "자폐 장애의 일탈적 특성 고찰을 통한 특수 교육적 접근의 방향성 정립: 사회성 발달 장애를 중심으로," 특수교육학연구, 제34호, 제2호, pp.227-256, 1999.
- M. Sigman and P. Mundy, "Social attachments in autistic children," Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, Vol.28, pp.74-81, 1989.
- P. Szatmari, "The validity of autistic spectrum Disorders: a literature review," Journal of Autismand Developmental Disorders, Vol.22, No.4, pp.583-600, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01046329
- J. S. DeLoache, G. Simcock, and S. Macari, "Planes, trains, automobiles - and tea sets: extremely intense interests in very young children," Development Psychology, Vol.43, No.6, pp.1579-1586, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-1618.104.22.1689
- S. Cobb, S. Kerr, and T. Glover, The AS interactive project: developing virtual environments for social skills training in users with Asperger's Syndrome, Robotic and Virtual Interactive Systems in AutismTherapy, Communications of the Adaptive Systems Research Group, University of Hertfordshire (Report no 364), 2001
- 최세홍, "자폐아동 재활에 있어 가상현실 기술활용에 관한 서설적 연구," 정서.행동장애연구, 제18권, 제1호, pp.107-125, 2002.
- J. M. Zheng, K. W. Chan, and I. Gibson, "Virtual reality: a real world review on a somewhat touchy subject," IEEE Potentials, April/May, pp.20-23, 1998.
- M. Gerhard, D. J. Moore, and D. Hobbs, "Embodiment and copresence in collaborative interfaces international," Journal of human-computer studies, Vol.61, No.4, pp.453-480, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2003.12.014
- Y. F. Cheng, H. C. Chiang, J. Ye, and L. H. Cheng, "Enhancing empathy instruction using a collaborative virtual learning environment for children with Autism Spectrum conditions," Computer & Education, Vol.55, pp1449-1458, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2010.06.008
- S. Cobb, L. Beardon, R. Eastgate, T. Glover, S. Kerr, H. Neale, "Applied virtual environments to support learning of social intervention skills in users with Asperger's Syndrome," Digital Creativity, Vol.13, pp.11-22, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1076/digc.22.214.171.12408
- D. Tantam, "Psychological disorder in adolescents and adults with Asperger Syndrome," Autism, Vol.4, pp.47-62, 2002.
- D. Moor, Y. F. Cheng, P. McGrath, and N. J. Powell, "Collaborative virtual environment technology for people with Autism," Focus on Autism and Other Development Disabilities, Vol.20, No.4, pp.231-243, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1177/10883576050200040501
- 정은혜, 임경원, 전병원, "자폐성 장애아동의 비디오 모델링 연구 동향," 정서.행동장애연구, 제28권, 제4호, pp.109-141, 2012.
- 이지연, 이소현, 장지은, "자폐 범주성 장애인을 위한 시각적 지원 중재 연구의 동향 및 질적평가지표에 의한 분석-국내외 단일대상연구를 중심으로," 자폐성장애연구 제16권, 제1호, pp.53-75, 2016.
- P. Mitchell, S. Parsons, and A. Leonard, "A using virtual evironments for teaching social understanding to 6 adolescents with Autistic Spectrum Disorders," Journal of Autismand Developmental Disorders, Vol.37, pp.589-600, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-006-0189-8
- Y. F. Cheng and R. W. Huang, "Using virtual reality environment to improve joint attention associated with Pervasive Pevelopmental Disorder," Computer & Education, Vol.54, pp1068-1077, 2012.
- G. Herrera, F. Alcantud, R. Jordan, A. Blanquer, G. Labajo, and C. D. Pablo, "Development of symbolic play through the use of virtual reality tools in children with Autistic Spectrum Disorders," Autism, Vol.12, No.2, pp.143-157, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361307086657
- S. Parsons, A. Leonard, and P. Mitchell, "Virtual environments for social skills training: comments form two adolescents with autistic spectrum disorder," Computer & Education, Vol.47, pp.186-206, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2004.10.003
- Y. F. Cheng and J. Ye, "Exploring the social competence of students with Autism Spectrum Conditions in a collaborative virtual learning environment - the pilot study," Computer & Education, Vol.33, pp.2141-2152, 2012.
- F. Ke and T. Im, "Virtual-reality-based social interaction training for children with High-Functioning Autism," The Journal of Educational Research, Vol.106, pp.441-461, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220671.2013.832999
- J. P. Stichter, J. Laffey, K. Galyen, and M. Herzog, "iSocial: delivering the social competence intervention for adolescents (SCI-A) in 3D virtual learning environment for youth with High Functioning Autism," Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, Vol.44, pp.417-430, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-013-1881-0
- T. Self, R. R. Scudder, G. Webeba, and D. C. Ma, "A virtual approach the teaching safety skills to children with Autism Spectrum Disorder," Topics in Language Disorders, Vol.27, No.3, pp.242-253, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.TLD.0000285358.33545.79
- 권정민, "자폐성 장애 아동을 위한 모바일 애플리케이션 개발 및 사용성 연구," 자폐성장애연구, 제12권, 제1호, pp.73-92, 2012.
- B. F. Pennington and S. Ozonoff, "Executive functions and developmental psychopathology," Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, Vol.37, pp.51-87, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.1996.tb01380.x
- S. L. Odom, J. L. Thompson, S. Hedges, B. A. Boyd, J. R. Dykstra, M. A. Duda, K. L. Szidon, L. E. Smith, and A. Bord, "Technology-aided intervention and instruction for adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorder," Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, Vol.45, pp.3805-3819, 2014.
- 이소현, 박은혜, 특수아동교육, 학지사, 2011.
- C. G. Trepagnier, "Virtual environments for the investigation and rehabilitation of cognitive and perceptual impairments," Neuron Rehabilitation, Vol.12, No.1, pp.63-97, 1999.
- Yang Yi, 이소현, "중국의 자폐 범주성 장애 아동 가족의 양육 경험과 지원 요구에 대한 질적 연구," 자폐성장애연구, 제16권, 제2호, pp.29-55, 2016.