- Volume 41 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Performance/Noise Optimization of Centrifugal Fan Using Response Surface Method
반응표면법을 이용한 원심팬 성능/소음 최적화
- Shin, Donghui (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Heo, Seung (Korea Aerospace Industries) ;
- Cheong, Cheolung (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kim, Tae-Hoon (LG Electronics) ;
- Jung, Jiwon (LG Electronics)
- Received : 2016.01.23
- Accepted : 2016.12.23
- Published : 2017.03.01
In this study, centrifugal fan blades used to circulate cold air inside a household refrigerator were optimized to achieve high performance and low noise by using the response surface method, which is frequently employed as an optimization algorithm when multiple independent variables affect one dependent variable. The inlet and outlet blade angles, and the inner radius, were selected as the independent variables. First, the fan blades were optimized to achieve the maximum volume flow rate. Based on this result, a prototype fan blade was manufactured using a 3-D printer. The measured P-Q curves confirmed the increased volume flow rate of the proposed fan. Then, the rotation speed of the new fan was decreased to match the P-Q curve of the existing fan. It was found that a noise reduction of 1.7 dBA could be achieved using the new fan at the same volume flow rate.
Centrifugal Fan;Response Surface Method;Aerodynamic Noise
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Frank P. B., 1998, FAN HANDBOOK, McGraw-Hill, New York, pp. 3.1-3.20, pp. 5.1-5.14.
- Seungyub L., Seung H. and Cheolung C., 2010, "Prediction and Reduction of Internal Blade-passing Frequency Noise of the Centrifugal Fan in a Refrigerator," International Journal of Refrigeration, Vol. 33, No. 6, pp. 1129-1141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2010.03.006
- Seung H., Daehwan K., Cheolung C. and Tae-Hoon K., 2011, "Prediction of Internal Broadband Noise of a Centrifugal Fan Using Stochastic Turbulent Synthetic Model," Transactions of the KSNVE, Vol 21, No. 12, pp. 1138-1145. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2011.21.12.1138
- Seung H., Daehwan K. and Cheolung C., 2012, "Broadband Noise Prediction of the Ice-maker Centrifugal Fan in a Refrigerator Using Hybrid CAA Method and FRPM Technique," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of Korea, Vol. 31, No. 6, pp. 391-398. https://doi.org/10.7776/ASK.2012.31.6.391
- Seung H. and Cheolung C., 2015, "Efficient Prediction of Broadband Noise of a Centrifugal Fan Using U-FRPM Technique," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of Korea, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 36-45. https://doi.org/10.7776/ASK.2015.34.1.036
- Seung H., Cheolung C. and Taehoon K., 2015, "Unsteady Fast Random Particle Mesh Method for Efficient Prediction of Tonal and Broadband Noises of A Centrifugal Fan Unit," AIP Advances, Vol. 5, No. 9, pp. 097133-1-16. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4930979
- Seung H., Daehwan K. and Cheolung C., 2014, "Analysis of Relative Contributions of Tonal Noise Sources in Volute Tongue Region of a Centrifugal Fan," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of Korea, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 40-47. https://doi.org/10.7776/ASK.2014.33.1.040
- Feng G., Cheolung C. and Taehoon K., 2011, "Development of Low-noise Axial Cooling Fans in a Household Refrigerator," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 25, No. 12, pp. 2995-3004. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-011-0818-9
- Seung H., Cheolung C. and Tae-Hoon K., 2011, "Development of Low-noise Centrifugal Fans for a Refrigerator Using Inclined S-shaped Trailing Edge," International Journal of Refrigeration, Vol 34, No. 8, pp. 2076-2091. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2011.07.003
- Seung H., Minho H., Tae-Hoon K. and Cheolung C., 2015, "Development of Highperformance and Low-noise Axial-flow Fan Units in Their Local Operating Region," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 29, No. 9, pp. 3653-3662. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-015-0809-3
- Sanghyeon K., Seung H., Cheolung C. and Tae-Hoon K., 2013, "Numerical and Experimental Investigation of the Bell-mouth Inlet Design of a Centrifugal Fan for Higher Internal Flow Rate," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 27, No. 8, pp. 2263-2273. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-013-0609-6
- Sunghyun P., 1995, Modern Design of Experiments, Min Youngsa, Seoul, pp. 521-571, 573-591, 631-657.
- Esra S. and Yilmaz D., 2012, "Acoustic Optimization for Centrifugal Fans," Noise Control Engineering Journal, Vol. 60, No. 4, pp. 379-391. https://doi.org/10.3397/1.3701018
- Guangzhi R., Seung H., Tae-Hoon K. and Cheolung C., 2012, "Response Surface Methodbased Optimization of the Shroud of an Axial Cooling Fan for High Performance and Low Noise," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 33-42.
- G.E.P. B. and K.B. W., 1951, "On the Experimental Attainment of Optimum Conditions," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 1-45.
- G.E.P. B. and D.W. B., 1960, "Some New Three Level Designs for the Study of Quantitative Variables," Technometrics, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 455-475. https://doi.org/10.1080/00401706.1960.10489912