- Volume 41 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Response of Torque Controller for a MW Wind Turbine under Turbulence Wind Speed
난류 풍속에 대한 MW급 풍력발전기의 토크 제어기 응답
- Lim, Chae-Wook (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanbat Nat'l Univ.)
- 임채욱 (한밭대학교 기계공학과)
- Received : 2016.07.19
- Accepted : 2016.12.23
- Published : 2017.03.01
The main objective of a torque controller below rated wind speed is to extract maximum power from the potential wind energy. To do this, the torque control method, which adjusts the torque magnitude and makes it proportional to the square of the generator speed, has been applied. However, this method makes the response slower as the wind turbines are getting larger in size with multi-MW capacities. In this paper, a torque control method that uses the nonlinear parameter of rotor speed for aerodynamic torque as a control gain is discussed to improve the response by adjusting an additional torque magnitude. The nonlinear parameter of the rotor speed could be calculated both online and offline. It is shown that the offline case is more practical and effective in producing power through the numerical simulation of a 2MW wind turbine by considering the real turbulence wind speed.
MW Wind Turbine;Torque Controller;Optimal Mode Gain;Rotor Speed;Nonlinear Parameter;Turbulence Wind Speed;Generated Power
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Yaramasu, V., Wu, B., Sen, P. C., Kouro, S. and Narimani, M., 2015, "High-Power Wind Energy Conversion Systems: State-of-the-Art and Emerging Technologies," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 103, No. 5, pp. 740-788. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2014.2378692
- Kaldellis, J. K. and Zafirakis, D., 2011, "The Wind Energy (R)Evolution: A Short Review of a Long History," Renewable Energy, Vol. 36, No. 7, pp. 1887-1901. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2011.01.002
- Maria, I. B., 2009, "The Economics of Wind Energy," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 13, pp. 1372-1382. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2008.09.004
- Bianchi, F. D., Battista, H. D. and Mantz, R. J., 2007, Wind Turbine Control Systems: Principles, Modelling and Gain Scheduling Design, Springer-Verlag.
- Munteanu, I., Bratcu, A. L., Cutululis, N. A. and Ceanga, E., 2008, Optimal Control of Wind Energy Systems, Springer-Verlag.
- Buehring, K. and Freris, L. L., 1981, "Control Policies for Wind Energy Conversion Systems," IEE Proceedings, Part C, Vol. 128, No. 5, pp. 253-261.
- Burton, T., Jenkins, N., Sharpe, D. and Bossanyi, E., 2011, Wind Energy Handbook, Second Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Lim, C. W. and Seo, K. Y., 2010, "Comparison of Response Properties Determined in Two Control Methods for a 2.75MW Wind Turbine Under Turbulence Wind Speed," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 34 No. 12 pp. 1885-1891. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2010.34.12.1885
- Nichita, C., Luca, D., Dakyo, B. and Ceanga, E., 2002, "Large Band Simulation of the Wind Speed for Real Time Wind Turbine Simulators," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 17, pp. 523-529. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2002.805216
- IEC-61400-1 3rd Ed., 2005, Wind Turbine Part I: Design Requirements, Normal Turbulence Model.