- Volume 41 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Development of a Novel Pressure Sensor based on Nano Carbon Piezoresistive Composite by Using 3D Printing
3D 프린팅을 활용한 탄소 나노 튜브 전왜성 복합소재 기반 압력 센서 개발 연구
- Kim, Sung Yong (Dept. of Mechanical Design & Engineering, Pukyong Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kang, Inpil (Dept. of Mechanical Design & Engineering, Pukyong Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2016.08.08
- Accepted : 2016.10.28
- Published : 2017.03.01
This paper presents an ongoing study to develop a novel pressure sensor by means of a Nano Carbon Piezoresistive Composite (NCPC). The sensor was fabricated using the 3D printing process. We designed a miniaturized cantilever-type sensor electrode to improve the pressure sensing performance and utilized a 3D printer to build a small-sized body. The sensor electrode was made of 2 wt％ MWCNT/epoxy piezoresistive nano-composite, and the sensor body was encapsulated with a pipe plug cap for easy installation to any pressure system. The piezoresistivity responses of the sensor were converted into stable voltage outputs by using a signal processing system, which is similar to a conventional foil strain gauge. We evaluated the pressure-sensing performances using a pressure calibrator in the lab environment. The 3D-printed cantilever electrode pressure sensor showed linear voltage outputs of up to 16,500 KPa, which is a 200％ improvement in the pressure sensing range when compared with the bulk-type electrode used in our previous work.
Carbon Nanotube;Pressure Sensor;Smart Nano Composites;3D Printing;Offshore Plant
Grant : LNG 추진 선박 엔진용 GVT(Gas Valve Train) 국산화 개발사업
Supported by : 산업통산자원부
- Hur, J. G. and Yang, K. U., 2007, "The Technology Trend and Newest Product of Pressure Sensor," Journal of Drive and Control, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 2-10.
- YOLE Development., 2013, "What are the Business and Technology Trends that are Impacting the MEMS Business for the Next 5 Years."
- BSI., 2006, "Petroleum and Natural Gas Industries. Design and Operation of Subsea Production Systems. Subsea Production Control Systems."
- Sehwa, 1988, "Sensor's Principles and Instructions," ISBN : 2003718002210.
- Tombler, T. W., Zhou, C., Alexeyev, L., Kong, J., Dal, H., Liu, L., Jayanthl, C. S., Tang, M. and Wu, S. Y., 2000, "Reversible Electromechanical Characteristics of Carbon Nanotubes under Local-Probe Manipulation," Nature, Vol. 405, pp. 769-772. https://doi.org/10.1038/35015519
- Wood, J. R. and Wagner, H. D., 2000, "Single-wall Carbon Nanotube as Molecular Pressure Sensors," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 76, No. 20, 2883. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.126505
- Kang, I., Schulz, M. J., Kim, J. H., Shanov, V. and Shi, D., 2006, "A Carbon Nanotube Strain Sensor for Structural Health Monitoring," Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 737-748. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/15/3/009
- Kang, I., Schulz, M. J., Lee, J. W., Choi, G. R. and Choi, Y. S., 2006, "Strain Sensors Using Carbon Nanotube Composites," Trans. Korean Soc. Noise Vibration Eng., Vol. 16, No. 7, pp. 762-768. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVN.2006.16.7.762
- Chang, W. S., Song, S. A., Kim, J. H. and Han, C. S., 2009, "Fabrication of Caron Nanotube Strain Sensors," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. B, Vol. 33, No. 10, pp. 773-777.
- Kim, S. Y., Kim, H. H., Choi, B. G., Kang, I. H., Lee, I. Y. and Kang, I., 2016, "A Study on Piezoresistive Characteristics of Smart Nano Composites based on Carbon Nanotubes for a Novel Pressure Sensor," Journal of Drive and Control, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 43-48. https://doi.org/10.7839/ksfc.2016.13.1.043
- Jin, H. S., Lee, J. K., Lee, S. and Lee, K. C., 2014, "Output Characteristic of a Flexible Tactile Sensor Manufactured by 3D Printing Technique," J. Korean Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 149-156. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2014.31.2.149
- Giovanni, P., Gabriele, N., Gianmarco, G., Marinella, L. and Stefano, T., 2015, "Conductive 3D Microstructures by Direct 3D Printing of Polymer/ carbon Nanotube Nanocomposites via Liquid Deposition Modeling," Composites: Part A, Vol. 76, pp. 110-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2015.05.014
- Zhang, D., Chi, B., Li, B., Gao, Z., Du, Y., Guo, J. and Wei, J., 2016, "Fabrication of Highly Conductive Graphene Flexible Circuits by 3D Printing," Synthetic Metals, Vol. 217, pp. 79-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.synthmet.2016.03.014
- John, M. G., Godfrey, S., Kim, J. W., Roberto, J. C., Russel, A. W., Christopher, J. S., Brian, W. G., Dennis, C. W. and Emilie, J. S., 2016, "3-D Printing of Multifunctional Carbon Nanotube Yarn Reinforced Components," Additive Manufacturing, Vol. 12, pp. 38-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addma.2016.06.008