- Volume 41 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Acceleration Effect of Ancillary Services on Cavitation and Fatigue of a Water Turbine in Pumped-Storage Plants
부수적 서비스 제공에 따른 양수발전소 수차의 캐비테이션 및 피로에 대한 가속효과 평가
- Kim, Jong Sung (Dept. of Nuclear Engineering, Sejong Univ.) ;
- Kim, Se Na (Yeosu Technical High School)
- Received : 2016.07.21
- Accepted : 2016.11.22
- Published : 2017.03.01
Several maintenance issues related to cavitation erosion and fatigue cracks in the water turbine subcomponents of pumped-storage plants, such as a runner and a draft tube, have been reported in the past. Generally, the pumped-storage plants provide ancillary services, such as black-start and system stabilization. The ancillary services are responsible for cyclic low opening operation of the guide vanes. It has been empirically established that this low opening operation further damages the water turbine subcomponents. In this study, the acceleration effect of the low opening operation on the cavitation erosion and fatigue of the water turbine is quantitatively assessed through finite element flow analysis, finite element stress analysis, and fatigue analysis. As a result of the assessment, it is identified that the cavitation potential increases and the turbine efficiency decreases with a decrease in the opening of the guide vane. Also, the low opening operation has an insignificant effect on the fatigue even though it increases the maximum stress values at the runner blade roots.
Pumped-Storage Plant;Water Turbine;Runner;Guide Vane;Low Opening Operation;Ancillary Service;Cavitation;Fatigue;Finite Element Method
Supported by : 기초전력연구원
- Korea Hydro Nuclear Power Company, 2011, Development of Methodology for Lifetime Management and Modernization Plan Establishment of Pumped Hydro Storage Power Plant Equipments.
- Korea Electric Power Corporation, 2004, Practices of Hydropower Plant.
- Korea Electric Power Corporation and Korea Nuclear & Hydraulic Company, 1996-2006, Annual Reports for Hydropower plants.
- EPRI, 2001, Hydropower Technology Roundup Report: Accommodating Wear and Tear Effects on Hydroelectric Facilities Operating to Provide Ancillary Services, EPRI TR-113584-Vol.4.
- EPRI, 1984, Hydropower Reliability Study, EPRI EM-3435.
- Kim, J.S., Kwon, H.C., Song, B.H. and Kwon, C.S., 2009, "Development and Application of the Methodology to Establish Life Extension and Modernization Plan of Aged Hydropower Plants," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 33, No. 10, pp. 991-1186. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2009.33.10.991
- Kim, J.S., 2010, "Optimization of Preventative Maintenance Cycle for Equipments of Pumped-Storage Power Plant by Taking into Account Reliability and Economical Efficiency," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 34, No. 9, pp. 1137-1338. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2010.34.9.1137
- Kim, J.S. and Kim, S.N, 2012, "Evaluation on the Effect that Low Opening Operation of Guide Vanes in Hydropower Plants Accelerates Wear on Guide Vane Bearing Bushing," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 36, No. 10, pp. 1267-1274. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.10.1267
- Jones, D.I., Mansoor, S.P., Aris, F.C., Jones, G.R., Bradley, D.A. and King, D.J., 2004, "A Standard Method for Specifying the Response of Hydroelectric Plant in Frequency-Control Mode," Electric Power System Research, Vol. 68, pp. 19-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7796(03)00152-4
- Siwani, Y.D., 2008, Dynamic Stress Assessment in High Head Francis Runners, Master Degree Thesis, Lulea University of Technology, Sweden.
- Liu, S, Zhang, L., Nishi, M. and Wu, Y., 2009, "Cavitating Turbulence Flow Simulation in a Francis Turbine Based on Mixture Model," Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 131, No. 5.
- Korea Western Electric Power Company, 1990-2010, Preventative Maintenance Reports for Samrangjin Unit 1 & 2.
- Hitachi and Korea Tsukuba, 2010, Precision Diagnosis and Lifetime Assessment Report for Samrangjin Unit 1.
- Hitachi, 1984, Instruction Manuals for Pumped-Turbine of Samrangjin Unit 1 & 2.
- Dassault Systems, 2010, Solidworks User's Manuals, Ver.6.10.
- Escaler, X., Equsquiza, E., Farhat, M., Avellan, F. and Coussirat, M., 2006, "Detection of Cavitation in Hydraulic Turbines," Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 20, pp. 983-1007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2004.08.006
- ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessels Committee, 2007, ASME B&PV Code, Sec. III, Subsection NB, NB-3200.