- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
An E-capless AC-DC CRM Flyback LED Driver with Variable On-time Control
- Yao, Kai (School of Automation, Nanjing University of Science and Technology) ;
- Bi, Xiaopeng (School of Automation, Nanjing University of Science and Technology) ;
- Yang, Siwen (School of Automation, Nanjing University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2016.05.25
- Accepted : 2016.11.25
- Published : 2017.03.20
LED is a promising new generation of green lighting with the advantages of high efficiency, good optical performance, long lifetime and environmental friendliness. A pulsating current can be used to drive LEDs. However, current with a high peak-to-average ratio is unfavorable for LEDs. A novel control scheme for the ac-dc critical conduction mode (CRM) flyback LED driver is proposed in this paper. By using the input voltage, output voltage and average output current to control the turn-on time of the switch, the peak-to-average ratio of the output current can be reduced. The operation principle is analyzed and an implementation circuit is put forward. Experimental results show the effectiveness of the proposed scheme.
Supported by : national natural science foundation of China, Jiangsu natural science foundation
- P. S. Almeida, D. Camponogara, M. Dalla Costa, H. Braga, and J. M. Alonso, "Matching LED and driver life spans: a review of different techniques," IEEE Ind. Electron. Mag., Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 36-47, Jun. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIE.2014.2352861
- X. Wu, C. Hu, J. Zhang, and Z. Qian, "Analysis and design considerations of LLCC resonant multioutput dc/dc LED driver with charge balancing and exchanging of secondary series resonant capacitors," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 780-789, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2309605
- Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC)-Part 3-2: Limits for Harmonic Current Emissions (Equipment Input Current_16 A per Phase), Edition 2.1, IEC Standard 61000-3-2, Oct. 2001.
- ENERGY STAR. (2008). ENERGY STAR program requirements for solid state lighting luminaires. Eligibility criteria-Version 1.1 [Online]. Available:http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/product_specs/program_reqs/SSL_prog_req_V1.1.pdf
- E. Rifa, "Electrolytic capacitors application guide," Appl. Note, Evox Rifa AB, Granna, Sweden, 2001.
- U.S. Dept. Energy, "Lifetime of White LEDs, energy efficiency and renewable energy," Washington, DC, USA, Sep. 2009.
- H. Ma, C. Zheng, W. Yu, B. Gu, J.-S. Lai, and Q. Feng, "Bridgeless electrolytic capacitor-less valley-fill AC/DC converter for offline twin-bus light-emitting diode lighting application," IET Power Electron., Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 1132-1141, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2012.0708
- Y. C. Li and C. L. Chen, "A novel single-stage high-power-factor AC-to-DC LED driving circuit with leakage inductance energy recycling," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 2, pp. 793-802, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2151817
- P. S. Almeida, H. A. C. Braga, M. A. Dalla Costa, and J. M. Alonso, "Offline soft-switched LED driver based on an integrated bridgeless boost-asymmetrical half-bridge converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 761-769, Jan./Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2332066
- M. Arias, M. Fernandez, J. E. Rodriguez, D. G. Lamar, and J. Sebastian, "Digital implementation of the feedforward loop of the asymmetrical halfbridge converter for LED lighting applications," in Proc. IEEE Energy Convers. Congr. Expo, pp. 3465-3472, Sep. 15-19, 2013.
- C. Branas, F. J. Azcondo, and R. Casanueva, "Feedforward compensation of resonant converters with heavy ripple in the DC bus for LED lamp driver applications," in Proc. IEEE 14th Workshop Control Model. Power Electron, pp. 1-6, Jun. 23-26, 2013.
- D. Camponogara, D. Ribeiro Vargas, M. A. Dalla Costa, J. M. Alonso, J. Garcia, and T. Marchesan, "Capacitance reduction with an optimized converter connection applied to LED drivers," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 1, pp. 184-192, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2327591
- H. Broeck, G. Sauerlander, and M. Wendt, "Power driver topologies and control schemes for LEDs," in 2007-Twenty second Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference (APEC), pp. 1319-1325, 2007.
- Y. Ji, D. Jung, J. Kim, Y. Kim, and C. Won, "A phase lagging compensation for output current of DCM flyback based PV micro-inverters," in 2012 7th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference(IPEMC), pp. 1247-1251, 2012.
- G. Spiazzi, S. Buso, and G, Meneghesso, "Analysis of a high-power-factor electronic ballast for high brightness light emitting diodes," in IEEE 36th Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC), pp. 1494-1499, 2005.
- Platinum DRAGONR_ Warm White With Chip Level Conversion, OSRAM Tech.Datasheet 2D-93049 [Online].Available: http://www.osram-os.com
- Luxeon LXK2 White LED. (2006). Datasheet DS51. [Online]. Available: http://www.lumileds.com
- S. Buso, G. Spiazzi, M. Meneghini, and G. Meneghesso, "Performance degradation of high-brightness light emitting diodes under dc and pulsed bias," IEEE Trans. Device Mater. Rel., Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 312-322, Jun. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDMR.2008.916549
- P. T.Krein, "Current quality and performance tradeoffs under active power factor correction," in Proc. IEEE Workshop Comput. Power Electron, pp. 97-101, 2004.