- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Torque Ripple Reduction in Three-Level Inverter-Fed Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Drives by Duty-Cycle Direct Torque Control Using an Evaluation Table
- Chen, Wei (School of Electrical and Information Engineering, Tianjin University) ;
- Zhao, Ying-Ying (School of Electrical and Information Engineering, Tianjin University) ;
- Zhou, Zhan-Qing (School of Electrical and Information Engineering, Tianjin University) ;
- Yan, Yan (School of Electrical and Information Engineering, Tianjin University) ;
- Xia, Chang-Liang (School of Electrical and Information Engineering, Tianjin University)
- Received : 2016.07.14
- Accepted : 2017.01.23
- Published : 2017.03.20
In this paper, a direct torque control algorithm with novel duty cycle-based modulation is proposed for permanent magnet synchronous motor drives fed by neutral-point clamped three-level inverters. Compared with the standard DTC, the proposed algorithm can suppress steady-state torque ripples as well as ensure neutral-point potential balance and smooth vector switching. A unified torque/flux evaluation table with multiple voltage vectors and precise control levels is established and used in this method. This table can be used to evaluate the effects of duty-cycle vectors on torque and flux directly, and the elements of the table are independent of the motor parameters. Consequently, a high number of appropriate voltage vectors and their corresponding duty cycles can be selected as candidate vectors to reduce torque ripples by looking up the table. Furthermore, small vectors are incorporated into the table to ensure the neutral-point potential balance with the numerous candidate vectors. The feasibility and effectiveness of the proposed algorithm are verified by both simulations and experiments.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- M. H. Vafaie, B. M. Dehkordi, P. Moallem, and A. Kiyoumarsi, "A new predictive direct torque control method for improving both steady-state and transient-state operations of the PMSM," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 5, pp. 3738-3753, May. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2462116
- Y. S. Choi, H. H. Choi, and J. W. Jung, "Feedback linearization direct torque control with reduced torque and flux ripples for IPMSM drives," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 5, pp. 3728-3737, May. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2460249
- C. L. Xia, Z. Xu, and J. X. Zhao, "A new direct power control strategy for NPC three-level voltage source rectifiers using a novel vector influence table method," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol.15, No.1, pp. 106-115, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.1.106
- J. Lyu, W. B. Hu, F. Y. Wu, K. Yao, and J. J. Wu, "A new DPWM method to suppress the low frequency oscillation of the neutral-point voltage for NPC three-level inverters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 1207-1216, Sep. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.5.1207
- W. Chen, H. W. Sun, X. Gu, and C. L. Xia, "Synchronized space-vector PWM for three-level VSI with lower harmonic distortion and switching frequency," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 9, pp. 6428-6441, Sep. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2499774
- P. Van-Tien, T. Q. Zheng, Z. P. Yang, F. Lin, and V. D. Do, "A DTC stator flux algorithm for the performance improvement of induction traction motors," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 572-583, Mar. 2016. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.2.572
- A. H. Abosh, A. Q. Zhu, and Y. Ren, "Reduction of torque and flux ripples in space-vector modulation based direct torque control of asymmetric permanent magnet synchronous machine," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 2976-2986, Apr. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2016.2581026
- Y. C. Zhang, J. G. Zhu, Z. M. Zhao, W. Xu, and D. G. Dorrell, "An improved direct torque control for three-level inverter-fed induction motor sensorless drive," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 1502-1513, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2043543
- Y. D. Li, X. Hou, and Z. H. Tan, "Direct torque control of induction motor fed by three level inverter (II) - method of synthesizing vectors," Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 31-35, May 2004.
- D. Casadei, G. Serra, and A. Tani, "Direct torque control for induction machines: a technology status review," in Proc. WEMDCD, pp. 117-129, 2013.
- K. B. Lee, J. H. Song, I. Choy, and J. Y. Yoo, "Improvement of low-speed operation performance of DTC for three-level inverter-fed induction motors," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 48, No. 5, pp. 1006-1014, Oct. 2001.
- S. Mukherjee and G. Poddar, "Direct torque control of squirrel cage induction motor for optimum current ripple using three-level inverter," IET Power Electron., Vol. 3, No. 6, pp. 904-914, Nov. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2009.0177
- D. Mohan, X. Zhang, and G. H. B. Foo, "Three level inverter fed direct torque control of IPMSM with constant switching frequency and torque ripple reduction," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 63, No.12, pp. 7908-7918, Dec. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2016.2547907
- L. Lin, Y. P. Zou, H. Q. Zhong, X. D. Zou, J. Zhang, X. Zhang, and C. X. Huang, "DTC algorithm of induction motors fed by three-level inverter based on fixed synthesizing vector," in Proc. of the CSEE, Vol. 28, No. 27, pp.120-125, Sep. 2008.
- K. B. Lee, J. H. Song, I. Choy, and J. Y. Yoo, "Torque ripple reduction in DTC of induction motor driven by three-level inverter with low switching frequency," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 255-264, Mar. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.988836
- G. Brando, A. Dannier, A. D. Pizzo, R. Rizzo, and I. Spina, "Generalised look-up table concept for direct torque control in induction drives with multilevel inverters," IET Electric Power Appl., Vol. 9, No. 8, pp. 556-567, Sep. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2014.0488
- C. L. Xia, S. Wang, X. Gu, Y. Yan, and T. N. Shi, "Direct torque control for VSI-PMSM using vector evaluation factor table," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 63 No. 7, pp. 4571-4583, Jul. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2016.2535958