- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
An Optimal Random Carrier Pulse Width Modulation Technique Based on a Genetic Algorithm
- Xu, Jie (National Key Laboratory of Science and Technology on Vessel Integrated Power Systems, Naval University of Engineering) ;
- Nie, Zi-Ling (National Key Laboratory of Science and Technology on Vessel Integrated Power Systems, Naval University of Engineering) ;
- Zhu, Jun-Jie (National Key Laboratory of Science and Technology on Vessel Integrated Power Systems, Naval University of Engineering)
- Received : 2016.07.26
- Accepted : 2016.12.13
- Published : 2017.03.20
Since the carrier sequence is not reproducible in a period of the random carrier pulse width modulation (RCPWM) and a higher harmonic spectrum amplitude is likely to affect the quality of the power supply. In addition, electromagnetic interference (EMI) and mechanical vibration will appear. To solve these problems, this paper has proposed an optimal RCPWM based on a genetic algorithm (GA). In the optimal modulation, the range of the random carrier frequency is taken as a constraint and the reciprocal of the maximum harmonic spectrum amplitude is used as a fitness function to decrease the EMI and mechanical vibration caused by the harmonics concentrated at the carrier frequency and its multiples. Since the problems of the hardware make it difficult to use in practical engineering, this paper has presented a hardware system. Simulations and experiments show that the RCPWM is effective. Studies show that the harmonic spectrum is distributed more uniformly in the frequency domain and that there is no obvious peak in the wave spectra. The proposed method is of great value to research on RCPWM and integrated power systems (IPS).
- A. M. Trzynadlowski, S. Legowski, and R. L. Kirlin, "Random pulse width modulation technique for voltage-controlled power inverters," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 68, No. 8, pp. 1027-1037, Jan. 1990. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207219008921243
- A. M. Trzynadlowski, "Random pulse width modulation techniques for converter-fed drive systems-A review", IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 1136-1143, May 1994.
- R. L. Kirlin, C. Lascu, and A. M. Trzynadlowski, "Shaping the noise spectrum in power electronic converters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 7, pp. 2780-2788, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2076417
- W. Y. Lai, N. Onn, and C. H. H. Tang, "Position control of hydraulic actuators using fuzzy pulse width modulation (PWM)," Applied Mechanics & Materials, Vol. 10, No. 8, pp.294-298, Sep. 2015.
- D. Jiang, R. Lai, and F. Wang, "Study of conducted EMI reduction for three-phase active front-end rectifier," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 12, pp. 3823-3831, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2053219
- F. M. Ma, Z. G. Wu, and Y. M. Li, "Analysis and design of the random frequency PWM inverters," Proceedings of the CSEE, Vol. 28, No. 15, pp. 67-71, Sep. 2008.
- W. Bin and L. X. Yuan, "Analysis of power spectrum of a dual randomized modulation," Proceedings of the CSEE, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 97-101, Aug. 2004.
- J. LEI and S. Shan, "The genetic algorithm in MATLAB," http://www.xduph.com, May 27th 2014.
- V. Jha, "Spectruml null generation using pulse width modulation in DC-DC converters," Dissertations & Theses - Gradworks, 2010.
- A. Peyghambari, A. Dastfan, and V. Ahmadyfard, "Strategy for switching period selection in random pulse width modulation to shape the noise spectrum," IET Power Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 517-523, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2014.0118
- J. Xu, "Study on the knowledge-aided ship target recognition using high-resolution range profile," Wuhan: Naval University of Engineering, 2013.
- J. F. Brudny, T. Szkudlapski, and F. Morganti, "Method for controlling the PWM switching: application to magnetic noise reduction," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 1, pp. 122-131, Oct. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2327583
- J. T. Boys and P. G. Handley, "Harmonic analysis of space vector modulated PWM waveforms," IEE Proceedings B, Vol. 137, No. 4, pp. 197-204, Nov. 1990. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-d.1990.0025
- R. L. Kirlin, S. Kwok, and S. Legowski, "Power spectrum of a PWM inverter with randomized pulse position," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 463-472, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.321030
- G. Dousoky, M. Shoyama, and T. Ninomiya, "A double-hybrid spread-spectrum technique for EMI mitigation in DC-DC switching regulators," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 342-350, May 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.4.342
- A. Peyghambari, A. Dastfan, and A. Ahmadyfard, "Strategy for switching period selection in random pulse width modulation to shape the noise spectrum," Power Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 517-523, Apr. 2015.